Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:49 am

kslight wrote:Vowed that I don't really need anything this year, but I got my Subpac S2 (that I ordered on Black Friday) today, and a box of cords and such from Monoprice the other day.

I've only had this thing hooked up for a few minutes, so I can't make any fair judgements, other than it is a bit weird!

I bought it to use instead of a sub for mixing purposes.
Interesting. Do you hafta like, "I'm All About That Bass"? :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:39 pm

rhythm ranch wrote:
kslight wrote:...I got my Subpac S2 (that I ordered on Black Friday) today...

I've only had this thing hooked up for a few minutes, so I can't make any fair judgements, other than it is a bit weird!

I bought it to use instead of a sub for mixing purposes.
I'll be very interested to hear how mixes done on the Subpac translate. Please report back.
Definitely will. I am thinking it will be of great help to me because I deal with electronic music and music for film, and reproducing low-end accurately in my room just isn't realistic. It is a really bizarre tool, in a way, but it already is shaping my mixing decisions. My only complaints so far being that its a bit difficult to find a good place for the control box, and managing the associated cords it has (power and line in). My chair is without armrests, which I imagine the control box is intended to strap on to, but I use prefer this style of chair for playing guitar. Fortunately the thing will run off of a rechargeable battery, so you can lose the power cord in use if you desire. Also the line in is on 1/8" stereo?which is irritating?but I bought a super heavy duty 1/8" cord (not at all like those cords you get to run into the aux in on your car stereo) that I think will hold up better (as my chair will inevitably run over the cord from time to time). It will accept audio over bluetooth, though I don't really know how to do that out of Pro Tools and obviously it would be most likely be out of sync with my monitors at that point.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:04 pm

Yamaha LS-12 speaker switcher/matrix thingie. (Thanks Carl!)

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:49 pm

VIR DIS hardware/software -- a godsend for ROLAND VS users ~!! Direct connection to the PC -- 8) Can now run a 24 channel /automated DAW to our PC HD :D
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:14 pm

Ashly PQX572

EXR EX2 Exciter.

I got no idea what I'm going to do with either... well, no specific idea, anyway... but I've got 'em and there they are.

To be frank, I'm not even sure what an EXR Exciter actually does. It's exciting to look at, I'll give it that.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:11 pm

I've wanted one of those super short Ibanez mikro basses, one finally showed up on CL for $50 with a pretty good ding in it and I bit.

I'm a fan of 30" basses, but I wanted to do some alternate tuning with this 28.5"ER...

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:18 pm

Still not a done deal but one of these guys -

This might be a case of engineer's midlife crisis or just nostalgia. I had one of these as a teenager. I used it well into my late 20's to make demos for my various bands. It was my first recording machine and I've regretted selling it for years and years now.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:05 pm

^^^^^^^ picked it up earlier today. After cleaning the crud of the capstan and pinch roller I fired it up and everything seems to work perfectly.
I've spent much of the afternoon going through a shoebox of cassette masters circa 1988-95. Oh the memories!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:51 am

Funny aside, not only do I have a bunch of old cassette multi's from my Tascam238 daze, many feature my ex on vocals.

I've not heard 'em in years. 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:39 am

Recent acquirement: 32 channel ghost and Lynx aurora 16. Finally into the world of good converters across the board. Been Using benchmarks but sort of limited to two channels for high quality.

That being said the DAC going to my speakers has been excellent and I might just have to keep that running to those.
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:08 pm

After yearning for a good small set of "Monitor B" speakers and being totally unsatisfied with the Equator D5's Hype (actually gave my pair of D5's to a buddy!), I decided to try another pair of small monitors to itch my scratch.

After reading so many glowing reviews on the Sonodyne SRP400 4.5" near-fields, I dove in and purchased a pair from Sweetwater (one of the few Sonodyne dealers in the US).

Holy Crap - These are some fantastic and honest little speakers. The midrange and 2KHz crossover range is just "right" on these (the primary area I disliked on the Equator D5's). Imaging is easily the best I've heard in my room.

The small 4.5" woofer doesn't reach low (of course), but the bass above ~70Hz it does produce is so well-proportioned and tight that I've been hearing things that were generally masked by the excessive low end from my Dynaudio AIR-15 mains (partially a room tuning issue on my end).

The enclosures are made from beefy aluminum (ala Genelec), and build quality is very impressive on all fronts. Less hyped/smiley than Genelecs for sure.

At ~$700/Pair, they aren't exactly "Budget Monitors", but a HUGE step up from the $400 Equator D5's IMNSHO.

You'll need a larger system to get the 20-80Hz range "Right", but I believe the remainder of the spectrum is pure gold on these little pups IMNSHO...

:cool:
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:18 pm

Not really a purchase per se, but I had bought a dvx 163x for fifteen bucks a while ago and it didn't work so I just had my tech fix it. Can't wait to fire it up.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:21 pm

It's been a good year for me so far...

Matched pair of Royer R 121's
AEA R88
GML 8304
AML EZ1073
Shure SM57 pair with TAB T58 transformers

Hoping to grab another AML this month, and if the projects keep coming in either a LA-2A or an older Neumann U87
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon May 18, 2015 10:52 am

Got one of the new Vox AC10's, the old vibrolux verb got too heavy to pack around.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon May 18, 2015 11:37 am

I bought a cuppla small connectors for my One-Spot that allow the use of MXR (Distortion +) and DOD (that Yngwie pre) pedals with a 1/8" power jack.

I wanted to just install standard power connectors but the pedal cases are at least 1/8" thick metal and too tuff to easily drill, so ...

And a capo, what I've not had one in 20 years.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.