Cheap recording

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

n0ukf
audio school

Cheap recording

Post by n0ukf » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:08 pm

The other day (and other times in the past year or two), a coworker (Boss' hubby) and others have asked at the thrift store where I work about portable cassette tape recorders. We get few in that still work. Is there some new format out or coming (with removable/transferable media) to take the place of the simple cheap tape recorder (not an expensive multitrack recorder) for recording practice and jam sessions and such? I have a pocket digital recorder but it has no removable media, I have to connect it to a computer to listen to its recordings anywhere other than on the device itself.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:49 pm

I havent researched multitrack portable units too much outside of film stuff, but there are things like this around:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R16

SD card. so can't be terribly difficult to remove.
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:51 pm

I have the R16 - love it.

I also have a Zoom H2, what uses a SD card, too. Love that, also.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:50 pm

I've used the h4n quite a bit for film stuff. Great unit for the price. Not perfect by any means. But for the price, heck yeah.
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:21 pm

For simple live recording I have the zoom h2 which records to an SD card. Cheap and cheerful. For multitrack recording I picked up a Korg D3200. These seem to be readily available used for 300-500. I paid 350.00 for mine and it's the best money I've spent in quite a while.

sound for sandwiches
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sound for sandwiches » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:38 am

All the zoom Hx series are great, for different reasons. I've had an H2 for what feels like forever and it's recorded pretty much every band rehearsal and song idea (plus the occasional foley thing for my wife, who's a video editor) for the last 6 years or so. I just put the mic in "front + back" mode, stick it on the floor in the middle of the practice space, and it gets a decent picture of the action without having to think about it. and yes, just pull out the SD card, share with bandmates, etc with ease. I like that it records natively in mp3, which for what I am doing is fine, and you can get oodles of record time on even a small card.

Ive also used the h4 and h4n at work, and the N is a definite step up in terms of the control layout. Either flavor of 4 would definitely be my preference for board recordings or work in the field. I saw a friend's H6 but haven't done any recording with it- I have to say the various capsule options look great, as is the possibility of 6 simultaneous tracks, but the form factor is a little clunky.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:10 am

The mics they supply are not good quality. I use a Tascam DR-70D. It is 4 channels, 96k/24 bit, SD card, XLR inputs, 48 volt phantom, limiters, high pass filters M/S matrix, etc. Runs on 4 AA cells. Yes, it also has a pair of built in mics.

It's designed to interface with DSLR cameras. It's $299 from B+H.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

n0ukf
audio school

Post by n0ukf » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:39 pm

Even $80 for the H1 I see on ebay isn't all that cheap but something to consider.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:57 am

They still sell recording cassette recorders, check your local WalMart.

Any android phone will let you record, at varying levels of quality, MP3 to 16bit WAV, to the SD card, and you can get little condenser mics that plug into them.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.