Guitar-amp simulation, '15

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Guitar-amp simulation, '15

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Aiight, seems no one has written about this inna little while and I'm curious.

After all of the V-Amps and PODS and Palmers and Powersoaks ISO-Cabs and Amplitubes and Guitar Rigs and such, what do you mostly use now, in '15?

I mean, I'm a amp guy, and like 'em loud and proud, (even if they are little amps like a Tiny Terror, etc.) but every now and then, late at night when the kids is sleepin' ...

The other night I plugged into a old Hafler T2 pre into a Microcab 1 and recorded some tracks. Not half-bad, useable, but not great ...

I have a Zoom GM200 sitting here, and a Trademark 10 with a DI I'll mebbe hafta try again. The Power Soak I have, I know, only cuts the volume a little, not to actual "quiet" levels.

But I know I still hate POD's.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:59 pm

Carvin x100b into Jet City ISO cab

or

Pigtronix Keymaster into a dozen or so pedals and gadgets direct into tape machine, disregarding any attempt to sound like an (existing) amp

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:39 pm

I just bought a Jet City 1x10" 8ohm sealed/1/2-open for my Tiny Terror.

Great cab, couldn't be happier!

That's the li'l amp thing done, but ISO, to me, has been weird.

I put a 1x12" inna Anvil case and it's OK, but no better, really, than sims, just different issues, to get real sounding.

"Other" sounds, yeah! I mean, "Black Dog", anyone?

But I'm still looking for a good sim, sounds like a amp inna room. Preferably hardware, too.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:33 pm

I'd suggest getting a Tech 21 Character series pedal. I have the Hiwatt version and would like to get more. If you don't want to splash for one of the Tech 21's the Joyo clones are very cheap and get good reviews. The thing I really like about these is that aside from sounding really good they take pedals well so you can run your board into one like you would your regular amp.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:27 am

The UA Amp sims are pretty darn legit. Mostly they stay away from effects and devote their engine to sounding like guitar amps, you can do your own effects.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:55 am

I'm often in this boat (the "be quiet, we're trying to sleep here already!" boat). I'm on Logic X and I'm pretty satisfied with their sims. I've used the Tech 21 GT2 in the past as well. Those Joya pedals are intriguing--just nervous that they're built by enslaved 11 year-olds, but that's probably not fair.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:37 am

I have Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5.0 right now. It's the demo so you can't save presets and it boots you after like 20 min., so I usually dial in a sound, make a mental note of what I used, log back in and record what I need to get done.

Whether or not it sound as good as the real amps/cabs/effects it simulates is irrelevant to me: what I know is that it sounds better than if I mic an amp. Maybe if I had a great selection of mics, a nice room, and patience I wouldn't be so impressed but that's where I am now.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:28 pm

Hmm, mebbe I should start a amp/mic thread also ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:52 pm

roscoenyc wrote:The UA Amp sims are pretty darn legit. Mostly they stay away from effects and devote their engine to sounding like guitar amps, you can do your own effects.
I have to agree, that Nigel thing from UA is pretty darn cool.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:54 am

As to DAW amp sims, I like the Waves GTR 3.5, and the Avid Eleven.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:48 am

lyman wrote:I have Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5.0 right now. It's the demo so you can't save presets and it boots you after like 20 min., so I usually dial in a sound, make a mental note of what I used, log back in and record what I need to get done.

Whether or not it sound as good as the real amps/cabs/effects it simulates is irrelevant to me: what I know is that it sounds better than if I mic an amp. Maybe if I had a great selection of mics, a nice room, and patience I wouldn't be so impressed but that's where I am now.
I used to use Guitar Rig before I had room to record an amp...and yeah I can't say it was authentic sounding, but it could be made to sound good...and I used to love automating the hell out of everything within it :-)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:54 am

Interesting that everyone answers about ITB stuff, and hardly any about hardware sims.

Not that I expect people to post about their Fractals, but no V-Amps or Pods ...

I keep looking for a good price on those character pedals, will buy one when I see it cheap.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:31 am

vvv wrote:Interesting that everyone answers about ITB stuff, and hardly any about hardware sims.

Not that I expect people to post about their Fractals, but no V-Amps or Pods ...

I keep looking for a good price on those character pedals, will buy one when I see it cheap.
Personally I'd rather have the real thing, but the Joyo clones get favorable reviews and run about 40.00 bucks.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:09 pm

vvv wrote:Interesting that everyone answers about ITB stuff, and hardly any about hardware sims.

I used to have a V Amp rack, but it died. It sounded a little trashy but totally useable.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:35 pm

I remember for a while guys at my old hang, VS Planet, spoke highly of the V-Amp, and I've actually been to jams and had guys use a POD, had guys come over to record with a POD, and had guys send me tracks they recorded with a POD for me to mix.

Been a while, tho', except I jammed last fall with a guy put a POD in front of his Marshall DSL - sounded like a electric razor.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.