One SM-57 or Six Clones?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:53 pm

How does the removal of the widscreen ball drop the low freq. response from 50Hz to 40Hz?

Something I never understood.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:12 pm

If you're just starting to build a collection of mics to record things, buy quality stuff first. Buy a Shure SM57, an Audix i5 or Beyer 201 to use on guitar amps, snare drums, toms, whatever. You'll then get results that sound similar to what other people have gotten. The chinese-made dynamic mic clones don't sound the same. OK to use them but get good, quality basic mics first.

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:40 pm

I agree... If you can't afford to take the risk, don't take the risk; buy the tried and true. Once you have enough tried and true for your applications and want to take a risk on the cheap or unknown, then go ahead and do it then!

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:12 pm

Eh, too late, I went ahead and ordered a 3-pack. Mainly because I was going to be near a GC anyways.

Little Tip: Don't bother going into the store, the 3 for 1 deal appears to be online only, I could have saved myself the trip :roll:
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:13 am

Gregg Juke wrote:Huh. You and Drumsound should start a club. Or a cable show.

GJ
I think a podcast would be best. Each week (month?) we would use a different, and of course better sounding mic, to bitch about the sound of the 57.

To the OP, there are a bunch of great mics that can be had for short money that sound a TON better than a 57, or a fake 57. Used EV mics of all sorts live in the $75 range on the used market.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:56 am

OK, because I have a few now, I'll tellya's my secret: the Sennheiser mic's that are made of resin, most are MD 500 something and some are 400's, rule.

Of course, they are so good on vocals that I'm loathe to use 'em on loud amps ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:06 am

Tony--

:lol:

I'd subscribe to that podcast. The premise is just too funny. But I'd of course be honor-bound to post any audio responses using only a 57 to complain about all of the other mikes you can't drive nails with, drive a car over, freeze, drop from extreme heights, or shoot-up with firearms (not without them being completely destroyed, that is)...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:56 am

Gregg Juke wrote:Tony--

:lol:

I'd subscribe to that podcast. The premise is just too funny. But I'd of course be honor-bound to post any audio responses using only a 57 to complain about all of the other mikes you can't drive nails with, drive a car over, freeze, drop from extreme heights, or shoot-up with firearms (not without them being completely destroyed, that is)...

GJ
Buchanan Hammer

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:00 am

^^^^^^ If that's a hammer this must be the Buchanan club.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:11 am

I have two of those 664, what I have read are the same as the 666, more or less, but not QC'd or sompin'.

One was a Ebog-bought that was broke. I took it apart (after the seller pissed off Ebay and they refunded me) and re-wired it around the switch and got it to pass sound, inna kinda AM radio-stylee, whiuch makes it cool for weirdness.

Anywhat, the other works fine and it's more like a EV than a Shure, altho' that might just be in my head; it's a little tighter pattern, mebbe, also.

I have a 635, also, which is omni, so a different kinda EV.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:12 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:^^^^^^ If that's a hammer this must be the Buchanan club.
INDEED! That reminds me to ask my old boss if he stall has the 664, and if I cna scam it for a while.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:33 am

Well I got them, and so far I'm liking them on toms, and the proximity effect I get on vocals, check back in 20 years for comments on durability. :D

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:41 am

vvv wrote:I have two of those 664, what I have read are the same as the 666, more or less, but not QC'd or sompin'.
I've used both side by side. They're similar flavours but different. The 666 has a smoother top end and extends much lower.
A good comparison world be that the 664 is similar to an RE15 and the 666 is similar to an RE20. Not really but you get the idea.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:10 am

I saw, some months ago or I would post a link, a cool Steve Wynn video from the last album where he's singing a cover ("The Death of Donny B") from his last album into a big honkin' green 666.

Looks 8) , too!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.