Tape Alignement video question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vbsh
audio school graduate

Tape Alignement video question

Post by vbsh » Thu May 07, 2015 9:30 am

I found this video showing how to align a tape machine. It's good and I understand everything, except a couple of things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSbEj4Ho0Vs

At 09:10 in the video, the guy explains how to set the recording level, by sending a 1 kHz tone from the mixing deck to the tape machine and he says that both the mixer and the tape machine should display 0 VU = +4 dbu. That's clear.

However, at 10:15 he proceeds to set the input level and he says something like: "Now we're sending a 1 kHz tone to the tape machine from the mixing console and thats NUMBER 6 on the strip there".

What is NUMBER 6? At 9:28, I'm trying to look closely at the mixer's strips to find out what "6" means. I thought, maybe it's some Peak Programme Meter mark that somehow corresponds to 0 VU (+4 dBu), but what PPM scale that would be? I've never seen something like that. Maybe I confused something?

I think that he shouldn't have mentioned that "6", cause it's so confusing. I guess he's just sending a normal +4 dBu signal, but the picture is blurry I cannot really read the mixer's strip.

That was one thing that I don't understand. Now there's another. At 07:21 he sets the bias, and says that he is sending a 10 kHz tone with a level of -6 dB from the console. Why -6 dB? Is he overbiasing or something?

He mentions in the beginning that he's elevating the fluxivity or someting, but why they can't make a video for total newbies where everything will be by the standard and then they can mention that you can make things differently.

Thanks.

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Thu May 07, 2015 12:20 pm

doesn't sound to me like his reference to "number 6" is anything important, I think you can just disregard that.

he explains setting the bias with a -6dB signal. it gives you more room on the meter to see where the signal peaks and then starts dropping while adjusting bias level.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu May 07, 2015 2:24 pm

PAVI is the Pacific Audio Visual Institute and I assume that this video was prepared for one of their classes. Seems like the "#6" he's referring to is from the "sheet" that goes along with the video in the classroom. (Ex. at 3:36 he mentions "...#3 on your sheet."

vbsh
audio school graduate

Post by vbsh » Thu May 07, 2015 4:14 pm

rhythm ranch and Matt C., thanks for your replies. You are probably right.

But I was looking at the mixer and I thought, maybe it really shows +6. Here's a snapshot of the video. Each of the meters has a VU scale on the left and some PM (peak meter?) scale on the right and it really looks as if there's a 6 mark there. However the resolution is not really good. Probably I just confused things.