Alternative re-amping method without a dedicated re-amp box

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

SpencerMartin
gimme a little kick & snare

Alternative re-amping method without a dedicated re-amp box

Post by SpencerMartin » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:05 pm

Rather than buying the Radial re-amping box ($100), it seems to me that attenuating a DAW send by -30 dB or so and running it into this $16 impedance transformer would accomplish the same thing... Is this correct? If not, what would the key difference be?

Hosa impedance adapter

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:04 pm

Hmm.

You can reverse any old DI box, too.

The thing is, what is yer goal?

Re-amp to make it sound better? Anything you can think of that's similar might work ...

But you have a better chance of making the guitar that you played sound like it's the originally plugged into the amp thing you wish it had been, with a decent re-amp set-up.

Me, I built and use a box from a kit ("Line2Amp) for about US$50, and like it, a lot.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:52 am

The Hosa job will work, if you don't mind having that thing hanging out of your amp jack with a cable running off it. If you're gonna do that, I'd strain relief it somehow.

And yeah, you can use any old passive DI the same way, you just have to cobble together the adapters. I used to do that all the time.
Steve Albini used to like it

SpencerMartin

Post by SpencerMartin » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:25 am

Thanks guys! I'll try out the Hosa adapter and update if it works well. Otherwise, the kit that vvv mentioned could be cool to look into.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Fri May 15, 2015 1:08 pm

the DIYRecordingEquipment kits are great. I have a pair of their passive DIs and they're some of my favorites.

You've got the basic idea though. Level and impedance. Once those are sorted you're good to go. Sometimes it's just nice to have a fancier tool so you can hit the sweet spot.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Fri May 15, 2015 3:52 pm

i have the radial reamp and love that it can feed 2 outputs and has ground lift, phase reverse and volume onboard. makes it really easy to interface and solve ground loops etc..

plus i am terrible at soldering...
the new rules : there are no rules

SpencerMartin

Post by SpencerMartin » Fri May 15, 2015 6:12 pm

I'm definitely not experienced with soldering, so maybe the DIY kit would be good for getting some practice as well as a nice reamping device. Thanks for the heads up!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat May 16, 2015 12:28 pm

FWIW, two key things to maximise yer solder-experience are to be sure you have everything in the correct position, and that you are patient enuff to get the solder to flow.

Also, I like to have a aloe-vera plant close by ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon May 18, 2015 6:17 am

Years ago before anybody had a re-amper box we used to run the signal through a compressor and use the output control to bring the level down to something that a guitar amp would like to see.

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Mon May 18, 2015 7:12 am

vvv wrote:Hmm.

You can reverse any old DI box, too.

The thing is, what is yer goal?

Re-amp to make it sound better? Anything you can think of that's similar might work ...

But you have a better chance of making the guitar that you played sound like it's the originally plugged into the amp thing you wish it had been, with a decent re-amp set-up.

Me, I built and use a box from a kit ("Line2Amp) for about US$50, and like it, a lot.
I've always just used a passive DI in reverse, works great.

But, if you want to practice soldering the diyrecordingequipment project is great, plus it has a volume control. Peterson is an awesome guy and it looks like he uses the money he makes off projects to offer more and more good stuff, plus I've looked over his instructions on most of the projects and they all seem to be very clear and easy to follow.

SpencerMartin

Post by SpencerMartin » Tue May 19, 2015 8:25 am

Darlington Pair wrote: I've always just used a passive DI in reverse, works great.
When you guys say in reverse, do you mean line level out, into the passive DI output with the DI input running into the amp?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu May 21, 2015 3:48 pm

yes.