Purple TAV vs API 560 on bass drum?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Purple TAV vs API 560 on bass drum?

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:31 pm

I've always liked the API 560 on bass drum, a little 36Hz, cut out some 500Hz, add a little 4K and boom modern bass drum sound. But, I'm wondering how the TAV compares. I wouldn't mind something a little "softer" or "rounder" sounding, but still really tight in the low end.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:05 pm

I have not heard the TAV, but Andrew claims that it's the closest thing you"ll get to a Sphere graphic. Compared to the API 560B, the Sphere graphic is larger-sounding. It has a thicker bottom and although the midrange sounds very good, it's not quite as exciting in the 1k range that the API is. I feel like (and I'm prepared to be wrong about this) that maybe the Q on the Sphere is wider in general. I'm pretty sure that the 560 has a proportional Q that gets narrower the more you boost or cut. I'm not sure if the Sphere does that or not, but it does seem wider to me in general. I tend to like doing a lot of cuts with the Sphere, whereas I'll tend to do more midrange boost with the API. The API's 31Hz does sound REALLY nice, though.

Again, no direct experience with the TAV, but if it is at all like the Sphere, I wouldn't be surprised if my observations about it were similar.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Mixwell
pluggin' in mics

Re: Purple TAV vs API 560 on bass drum?

Post by Mixwell » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:02 am

Sean Sullivan wrote:I've always liked the API 560 on bass drum, a little 36Hz, cut out some 500Hz, add a little 4K and boom modern bass drum sound. But, I'm wondering how the TAV compares. I wouldn't mind something a little "softer" or "rounder" sounding, but still really tight in the low end.
The TAV is exactly that. Softer sounding, way smoother than the 560, which I find has a more forward grit to it. Its more edgy sounding, and sharper. Whereas the TAV is exactly as you said; rounder, and creamy. It doesn't hurt your ears no matter how far you push up the bands. I would say its EQ action has similar "shimmer" to the ODD 4-band. It sounds really pure when sucking out junk and really flattering when boosting. I love what it does for individual drum mics.
Adam J. Brass
www.DSPdoctor.com
Pro Audio Dealer
adam@dspdoctor.com
(1) 866 988 9111

"Where High End is Still King"