Reusing tape?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
JASIII
george martin

Reusing tape?

Post by JASIII » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:52 am

I'm new to this, does anybody reuse open reel tape? I would never use it for any serious recording of course, but is it ok to use it for getting sounds, experimenting, etc? Is there a legit use for used tape? Also, can 1/2" tape be "erased" in some way to reuse or is it ok just to record over it?
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Reusing tape?

Post by joeysimms » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:11 am

Used tape can be fine or it can be a problem. Almost everyone selling used tape will tell you "only used once" but how do you know? One thing to watch out for is sticky shed, where it might be lightly used tape, but it may've been stored improperly, or it might be 15 years old, causing it to leave piles of tape shed on your heads, guides, and capstan.

You could also buy a fresh reel and designate it as your "just getting sounds reel" and reuse that.

There are bulk erasers that will erase reels. Recording over any tracks with stuff on it will do the same.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: Reusing tape?

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:22 am

You can bulk-erase tape with a degausser. Does a pretty good job, unless you were really slammimg levels. Or you could just record over it. Re-using tape for non-critical stuff is perfectly okay. You can get away with one-pass tape for critical stuff if you have to as well.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/