Cubase 5.1 Question

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Cubase 5.1 Question

Post by newguy12 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:16 pm

I'm borrowing my friends laptop with Cubase 5.1 to do some recording. While the pdf manual has been quite helpful there is one thing I can't seem to be able to figure out. If I forget to name a track, then record audio on it, the program labels it Audio___ (the ___ means insert any number in here for instance if its channel four it says Audio 4) which can be confusing. When I then goto change the track name it doesn't change the audio file. How do I go about doing that?

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Re: Cubase 5.1 Question

Post by spiral » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:25 pm

I hate that too. Go to the audio pool (should be under "panels") and you should be able to change it there. Let me know if you does or doesn't work.

newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Post by newguy12 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:32 pm

Thanks for the response spiral. Right after I posted the question I realized you could change the audio filename. However, in the process of answering one question for myself I stumbled upon a new one. I noticed in the audio pool all the files I recorded even the ones I deleted such as bad takes. How do I go about figuring out which ones are the keepers and then getting rid of the old tracks I don't want. Thanks again for the help.

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:46 pm

You can either obsessively label them (how un-rock and roll!) or the non-grey one will be the one on the main timeline ie. all the takes you deleted off the timeline will be grey in the audio pool. Is that what you are asking?

newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Post by newguy12 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:41 pm

Thanks a bunch, I think I'm slowly starting to get the hang of this program. Sucks I gotta give the laptop back in a week. How is Cubase SX, as good or better than 5.1?

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:15 pm

I never used Cubase 5. I loved cubase 4 and think it's the best version they made. It was totally solid and worked very well. The interface was nice too. Cubase SX is fine and pretty much more of the same really. There are tons of new features and all i really do is multitrack recording so i probably use about 2% of the new wizbang stuff. Obviously 32bit is nice as is the Tape saturation/simulation. I got it on ebay with for a student price so it was like $300 (the guy emailed and said "are you a student?" nice eh?)