Guitar-amp simulation, '15

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:12 pm

^^Did anyone give it a listen or is it that awful that it demanded silence?

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:17 pm

I have vintage amps, and I still get decent mileage out of my Vox Tonelab SE for gigging and recording. The SE is great in that it has many decent models of pedals, in fact I don't have ANY pedals in my arsenal. I use my own sounds, the factory presets are useless.

Just today I was swapping tubes in the SE. The Mullard reissue sounds great.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:35 pm

Just to add to the conversation, I always track a mic on an amp but the other day decided to try Amplitube in an Aux bus to see how it could enhance my existing clean track.

I auditioned the Fender '57 Deluxe (amongst other's) and found it to sound really wonderful. Added some pedals like reverb, chorus and analog delay and it was a perfect compliment to my dry track from a mic'd Vox Cambridge 30 Twin Reverb.

I'm definitely going to use Amplitube more to make my guitar tracks more interesting, But the plug sure did sound convincing to my ears.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

New Orleans Steve
takin' a dinner break

Amp simulator INTO an AMP

Post by New Orleans Steve » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:43 pm

I been going through many of my options here with player / friends. All can be good, But ALL sound better going through a real amp and miced.
70% of the time, If I supply the amp it's going to be either a Peavey Clasic 30 or a Fender Bassman Head (Bassman 70 silverface).
SO, between a Pod, JStation, Boogie VTwin, Boggie Formula, and Tech 21 sans amp combo - I find that going out into the Bassman really makes a difference.
Also, I find that i can cut through the bassman, touch a transparent compressor at line level on the way' to tape' THEN reamp through an amp sim and back in works.
On the return I might just put the sim on an analogur insert loop OR go out to re amp device and then bassman mice'd. Also, I find that If I am doing a dry track with reamping in mind. Again, micing the bassman is better than a clean DI.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:40 pm

For metal Recabinet is the most realistic I've heard. Tons of gain without sounding mushy. Really captures the feel of high gain amps.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:13 am

Wagz wrote:Don't think it's been brought up yet. But thoughts on the Kemper? Got to play around with one of those once.. Holy proper sampling batman. Had it sampling a twin reverb we had in the room. Were switching back in forth. Aside from the sound of the switching back and forth the thing was spot on.

I was thinking about getting one of these.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:44 am

I was just reading on the 'zon about those little Yamahahas - they get pretty good reviews ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:33 pm

Anyone had face-time with the Line 6 Helix yet? Seems really neat and tightly integrated - and even includes an output for amplifier-channel-switching!

The few youtube demos I've seen were pretty impressive. I'll have an opportunity to get one at dealer cost in a few weeks (under $1K)!!! But they don't keep one in stock for demo purposes - so I've had zero facetime with it...

We are currently using a custom PC to run Amplitube3 (and sometimes Guitar Rig 5) into a Marshall 9005 50w x2 power amp into a 1960B - that is a killer sounding rig on its own. Then, we also run an analog split off the guitar DI to a Marshall DSL40C and combine to taste (analog). Actually, I just put an Electro Harmonix Epitome pedal in front of both (Guitar > Epitome Mono input > Left out to DSL40C / Right Out to Brick DI then into PC). The Epitome's stereo chorus and reverb is INTENSE and lush in this setup!

We are also using an FBV Express MK-II footboard to control Amplitube's Stomp Pedal section - works incredibly well! Wah, Volume and 4 assignable Stomp on/offs. Amplitube + FBV Express MKII is Probably about the easiest and best integration from a PC mascaraing as a full guitar rig. There might be more involved and more capable setups - but this is about as functional and simple as one could expect from such a PC setup IMO.

I believe the Helix would offer even better integration, and would also get the DSL40C and 9005/1960B chains in perfect phase alignment (currently, PC/Amplitube is around 3ms latent round trip as compared to the DSL40C).

Seems like the Line 6 Helix has really stepped up their modeling and integration compared to previous generations of Line 6 modelers - but would love to hear reports from yous' guys :)

:cool:
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:17 pm

for the past few years, when i can't or won't mic a guitar amp, i generally use either a Tech 21 Blonde pedal or Liverpool pedal direct.

and if i'm REALLY in a hurry, i dig out the Digitech DF7 Distortion Factory pedal i got for $20 at a pawn shop and use the "MIX" output.
4 of the 7 models actually sound good!

my old POD Pro processes beatboxes and early 90s hardware samplers now.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:55 am

I haven't used a Helix but I own an HD500X (bought after the Helix was announced because was way cheap). I'm pretty happy with the results I get with the HD500X though, I have owned probably a dozen different 'real' tube and solid state amps over the last few years and finally settled on this. I have all the extra model packs as well. I like using the fx loop to get my pedals in there...all the fx loops of the Helix would be nice. I also own Amplitube 3 but I prefer this...so I have to assume that the Helix would be a good step up as well.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:47 pm

I've had a vibrolux reverb and oil can delay since '73, and bought them used with a CBS Leslie tone cab and 61 SG. Bought an AC-10c reissue last year, love them, but need to overhaul the old Fender, I heard it starting to fail a couple years ago, and shut it down. I have 4 boxes, including Jerry Dononahue Jd10, a pod with all the plugs, and the Vox Tonelab le. I think it's the best box I've had, and as has been mentioned, the effects are pretty good into a cleanish amp up to cranked, just don't use the amp emulation into an amp, with any box.
Like Roscoenyc said, the UAD amp sims are pretty good. I have a Twin duo, and really like the 2 Marshalls into the A800, 1176A, with a gentle squeeze of Sonnox inflator effect, and the Ocean Way Studios rooms as a reverb like"po
Oplugin on the aux bus. Just enough to give it a tiny touch of space, makes it sound legit. The twin is a sweet little desktop box. There's a reason they call it UAD Crack!
I've been listening to the videos, and the Ampeg Bass amps are on the top of my list. Just adding a few real amped parts to a mix with even the pod stuff direct in helps to sell the emulations...
I got slagged once for mentioning using a compressor into a distortion box, but think about the lone amp without an output control knob, and plugin' into it with just a mxr compressor. You had to fiddle with it to make sounds, but it Happened all over the world, and worked even better with a hardware compressor behind the mic. Just a touch here and the.That would happen going to tape. We don' need no stinking badges, or any rules, for that matter.. I love amps, but not bleeding out of my ears and eyes during guitar part is sweet.

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:13 pm

kslight wrote:I haven't used a Helix but I own an HD500X...
Thanks for the feedback, kslight. Seems like the Helix should be pretty sweet if you already like your HD500 over Amplitube 3!

:cool:
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy