Cassette tapes, really?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:59 pm

Yes, I think what is appealing about it (from an artist's perspective) is that consumers place some value in it. As opposed to any combination of digital downloads or CDs.

I guess I'm weird in that I always listen to music in context of an album as opposed to a playlist, but CDs are kind of a waste for me...I will buy it, rip it, and it'll sit in a box forever.

If my fav artist puts out a vinyl (with dl card), I'll usually buy that instead because I want to support them, and there's a chance I will actually listen to the vinyl standalone..but needs to have the dl card for all of those times I will not be listening to the vinyl.

Bonus points if it comes with beard oil.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:21 pm

I understand the DIY aspect of it, but my main issue is sonics. Many people buy old Telex duplicators to run off their cassette copies but many of those are mono and top out at 10k, copies sound bad. Old used double cassette decks used to be plentiful at thrift stores but not anymore. Finding chrome hi-bias cassettes in bulk is also getting difficult, as regular bias tapes lack top end and are noisy. Pro duplicators exist that make good-sounding cassettes but they are hard to find, and more expensive than CD-R's. If the vinyl pressing plants could reduce their lag time, we'd all be better off.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:39 am

I don't think it's so much an issue of vinyl plants' lag time as much as the demand exceeds their capacity. In a more predictable industry, this would suggest that they can afford to expand their plants...but you have to be careful about that as well because no one really knows if vinyl is here to stay or if that will die with the rest of the physical formats by the turn of the next decade.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:29 am

I remember reading in the early 90s that "vinyl is making a comeback.". And again in the late 90s... And again mid oughts... And within the last year...
Village Idiot.

swelle
takin' a dinner break

Post by swelle » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:33 pm

Burger Records does a pretty swift business in cassettes these days.. they're cheap to manufacture and fit in your pocket!

I feel like the 'return of vinyl' has been oversold quite a bit.. so expensive to produce, and do folks actually listen to them all that much? It seems like a vanity thing almost. But cassettes recall the days of DC Go-Go, ROIR, hardcore, etc.. a cheap, easy, portable, disposable format. Basically like a CDR with moving parts!