WTB: Service Manual or Schematics for Scully 284-B 8 Track

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

lassoharp
ass engineer

WTB: Service Manual or Schematics for Scully 284-B 8 Track

Post by lassoharp » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:30 pm

I'm in some serious need of some schematics for a Scully 284B 8 track. If you have schematics for a 284B 4 track or 2 track these should work as well. Please note that 280B machines were a different series and most likely will have different pin outs, PS voltages, etc. If anyone has a set of these schematics I will gladly pay you for nicely scanned copies if you don't wish to part with the original manual. Please contact me and I'll tell you which ones I need. Thanks - Alan

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:50 am

I may or may not have a 284B manual. I'll have to check. I got a big box full of old Scully docs from back when finding such things was damn near impossible. And yes, I am familiar with the 280B being different from the 280. I have one of each type of deck. They are radically different machines.

In the meantime, get on this here interwebs and search for a Yahoo! group devoted to the Scully brand. You'll have to sign up for the group and get a confirmation mail from the moderator to view the discussion. Once a member of that group, you'll have access to many many scanned documents for every type of Scully machine that the members were able to gather and upload. There is a wealth of technical help and discussion there for anyone who owns something Scully. More than a few TOMB members can be found there from time to time. Good people devoted to keeping Scully machines rolling...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

lassoharp
ass engineer

Post by lassoharp » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:29 pm

djimbe wrote:I may or may not have a 284B manual. I'll have to check. I got a big box full of old Scully docs from back when finding such things was damn near impossible. And yes, I am familiar with the 280B being different from the 280. I have one of each type of deck. They are radically different machines.

In the meantime, get on this here interwebs and search for a Yahoo! group devoted to the Scully brand. You'll have to sign up for the group and get a confirmation mail from the moderator to view the discussion. Once a member of that group, you'll have access to many many scanned documents for every type of Scully machine that the members were able to gather and upload. There is a wealth of technical help and discussion there for anyone who owns something Scully. More than a few TOMB members can be found there from time to time. Good people devoted to keeping Scully machines rolling...

Hey Djimbe - Thanks for looking . I hope you're able to dig one up. I've been registered with the Yahoo Scully group for a while now. They do have some complete schematics for the 280B but nothing on the 284s. I've spoken with Steve, the group moderator and he said he'd keep a lookout for one. I actually had a full service manual for the 284B that I bought from Sequoia Electronics back in '98 that was stolen and apparently sold off on eBay . Anyways, good to find someone else who uses these machines - they really sound excellent. Keep me posted.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:47 pm

yeah, didn't want to insult your knowledge about the Yahoo group. Lotta folks don't know that kind of resource exists, so I always try to direct people there first. Good for you for being a member already!

I've just found out I may have some field recording to do the next two weekends. That's gonna mean I'll need to grab some equipment from the studio, so I'll look when I go in...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

bjoneson
audio school

Anyone out there

Post by bjoneson » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:10 pm

Bumping an old request would give my right arm for a manual for this deck!

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:38 pm

If anything, message 'remyrad' on the Yahoo groups. She was the lead QC when the machines were built. I doubt she has a manual, but I believe any Q's you have can be answered.

m
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*