A rhyming/writing thing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

A rhyming/writing thing

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:07 pm

I mean, I write it, then I record it.

Anywhat, I just realized that you can put "rhymes with: X" into google and get a answer (where "X" is whatever you wanna rhyme with.)

Then you finish the writing, and your record it, telling us about how here, in this forum.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Mon May 02, 2016 9:44 pm

Yeah, this also avoids having a rhyming dictionary lying about which is embarrassing.
You're basically pretty smart if you have some bad ass regular dictionary sitting around and it says 'Oxford' on it. A thesaurus is of course handy for writing a paper or something, but in some circles might be further evidence of your inarticulate mumbling and bad memory, as if no one had noticed already. A rhyming dictionary, however, confirms that you sir are writing pop songs for Katy Perry.

If I had a nickle for every time one of my punk rock friends gave me shit about my rhyming dictionary . . . I'd probably have about 20 cents. But hey, I made a million dollars writing songs for Katy Perry. But now I hate myself. Oh well, off to gearslutz. . . . .
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Tue May 03, 2016 12:30 am

I never had trouble with my rhyming dictionary. Guess my clients value my ability to rhyme even in power outages.

Zacharia Matilda
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Zacharia Matilda » Tue May 03, 2016 6:19 am

Song lyrics don't HAVE to rhyme. You don't even need to use real words, or you can use words from other languages.

Rewriting is just as important as writing.

That's all I have.
dehumidified

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue May 03, 2016 5:33 pm

Zacharia Matilda wrote:You don't even need to use real words, or you can use words from other languages.
Ah, yes! The olde "pompitus" of love!

That's usin' the olde well-earned politesse!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Zacharia Matilda
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Zacharia Matilda » Wed May 04, 2016 5:21 am

That's a great example. I also think of Bowie's singing on Low where he doesn't sing actual words...more like chants.

The Burrough's cut-up method is fun to try too. Leaving things to chance can sometimes take the pressure off from "having to come up with something clever".
dehumidified

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Thu May 05, 2016 2:43 am

Words. How do they work?
Ivan the Threadstopper

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:36 am

Zacharia Matilda wrote:That's a great example. I also think of Bowie's singing on Low where he doesn't sing actual words...more like chants.
Or like Cocteau Twins where half of what she sings is just syllables, and the others are just words that the syllables she was singing sounded like. :)
The Burrough's cut-up method is fun to try too. Leaving things to chance can sometimes take the pressure off from "having to come up with something clever".
Most of my last album (and parts of several others) used very similar techniques.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:45 pm

Then there's the old Shane MacGowan method (I do think he has dentures now), where you have such messed up teef no one can understand what you sing about anyway, not that being drunk ever helps ...

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:02 pm

My first introduction to scat was a punk band who hadn't yet found a singer/lyricist. It seemed profound. it still seems like a great way to figure out what a half-written song is trying to be. I think in the moment gutterances reroute your Broca Wernicke.

A while back a friend wanted me to try to parse his lyrics line by line, as he knew the vocals were walking the edge of intelligibility. He ended up using a couple of the misheard lines.
Village Idiot.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:50 am

Remind's me of the immortal Hendrix, " 'Scuse me while I kiss this guy."

Also, I hadda look up "Broca Wernicke", might hafta write that song ...

"I am so Broca I just hadda
Wernicke with my old suit ..."
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.