case for upgrading/updating your DAW platform

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

case for upgrading/updating your DAW platform

Post by permanent hearing damage » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:47 pm

been using Cubase 6 for about 6 years without any serious issues. I have had some crashes lately, but I mostly credit that to my comp being just as old. About to bite the bullet and update my tower, but wondering if Cubase 6 does all I need it to, what are the drawbacks to not upgrading? I suppose it could cause issues with certain plugins potentially? I buy a couple UAD plugs each year and I did just get Neutron by Izotope, but I haven't had any issues. What are your thoughts/experiences?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:09 pm

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:47 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Pretty much that. As long as it's stable, functional and does what you need I'd keep it. I'm still running PT7 in my home mix room. I mostly do out of the box mixing that's very light on plug-ins and my old software sounds good and does the job I need it to do.
The only issue you may have is compatibility with the new tower/OS. As long as that's ok I'd stick with what you've got.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:53 pm

My main computer is a 2008 mac tower.
Running Pro Tools HD 10.3.10. HD Aceel and two process cards.
24 analog IO on two Digi 192 boxes.

As long as it runs, I'll not get rid of it.

When I demoed this system to their New HD system, to my ears, it was not worth spending upwards of $15,000 to completely replace, not update, my system.

The differences were minute. Especially when compared to far less expensive third party converters, like Apogee et al.

I might actually buy a thir process car, if it fits in the computer, or even get an expansion chassis, and fill it with process cards, they are so cheap now.

But no way am I replacing it. I just replace the system hard drive every 3-4 years, with a new one, and keep going, that has been literally the only thing that needs maintenance.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:16 am

2007 P3 x2 (off the 'net), Win XP Pro with Cool Edit 2.1 (2003), works for me.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:16 am

I kept an older version of Sonar and used it for years, because it was familiar and comfortable.

Then, I got a new laptop and interface, and installed the free version of Studio One that came with it.

And, like, wow. It was a paradigm shifter and a game changer. Sometimes software gets bloatier and more of a PITA. Other times, software comes along that's just better. That was my experience, and I still use Studio One faithfully, and freaking love it.

So, if your existing rig is working, then by all means keep using it. But keep an eye at what else is out there. You could be missing out.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:31 am

Cubase 6 is still fairly recent.

I have cubase7 and cubase 5. I like tracking in 5 because i prefer the old version of comping but i usually mix in 7 for all the built in channel processing and visual eq.

Just re-installing everything on a fresh WIN 10 drive will be a major improvement. Go 64 bit and install a bunch of RAM (16 gb) - you should be good to go!
the new rules : there are no rules

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:51 pm

Hi Guys

Thought I would piggyback a question on this thread - haven't posted for awhile, been very busy with work and playing in a 2nd band (keys in a ska/old school reggae outfit).

Anyway, I have a similar question and could really use the collective advice/wisdom of the forum.

While I concur with the "if it aint broke, don't fix it", but I may start some new intensive recordings, and thus have been thinking of upgrading my computer at the same time that i upgrade my Reaper license (get all the pain over at once, right?)

Currently, I'm still using Reaper 4.79, with a Dell XPS 410 (maybe circa 2005, running Windows 7). Its been off the internet for the last 5 years or so, so has been very stable.

However, although it works great for basic recording, and I've been getting into more out of the box mixing, I would like to start using some VSTi's and tone-shaping plugins, and the computer really can't handle many instances of modern VSTs before starting to bog down.

For input, I've been using a Mackie Onyx 1640i and Firewire, so Firewire capabilities are important, or at least the ability to accept a Firewire card (I also still have and can use two Echo Audio cards in PCI slots for 24 tracks, but I realize PCI slots are a dying breed in most modern computers).

Any suggestions for a good computer upgrade? Budget would be ~ $600-700. Would prefer to buy Dell again, as they are pretty stable and quiet, and you can buy them from the Dell refurbished store relatively cheaply.

Also, any preferable skins/tweaks for Reaper 5 I should be looking into?

With that said, should I be trying the Studio One?
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:06 pm

thanks for the input, folks. especially since it'll save me a bit right now. just took the plunge on the comp and it should utterly destroy my current one (32 GB RAM vs current 8, SSD drives, improved processor). have been wanting to up my sample rate to 88k and now will finally feel comfortable doing so. i guess i can always get a new platform if i feel the need, but i have a ton of 3rd party plugs, so never even touch the Cubase ones.

additional question - how about updating OS? Been running Windows 7. seems 10 is about the same price and would have a far longer support life thru microsoft. any reason to stick with 7 (i do not have an install disk/SN to spare, so would need to buy another).

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:32 am

roygbiv wrote: With that said, should I be trying the Studio One?
Reaper is cool, and pretty much all the DAWs can all do 98-99% of the same stuff. This is no exception.

But yeah, the Studio One setup works great for me. All about workflow. And the stock plugins that come with Studio One are fabulous. I also love the effects routing (you can do series/parallel routing on each channel). Editing is fast and awesome. Also the mastering setup (project mode) that comes with it is great.

There is a free version so you can at least get your head in the Studio One game. If you like it you can upgrade.