What is this thing from Valentine?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

floid
buyin' a studio

What is this thing from Valentine?

Post by floid » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:29 pm

In the Valentine writeup in the current issue (very cool! ), the top photo on page 45 shows a little platform made of glass or lexan or similar covering part of the left side of the mixer. What is this called/ where could I find one?
Village Idiot.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:05 pm

I remember seeing platforms like that for Lexicon 480 remotes. Usually on an SSL. I've never seen one specifically sold for such purposes. I'd assume they're custom made since console sizes vary so much. I don't know materials or anything. Lucite? Acrylic?

A place like this might be a start.
http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plas ... ze_plastic
or
https://www.displaycasej.com/risers_and_platforms.html
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:45 pm

I haven't seen the picture you're referring to, but I do know a lot of people will just rest something flat across the knobs on a console for various purposes (computer keyboard, mouse pad, snorting coke, etc.). (Are you sure the thing you're looking at has feet?) I think they're relying on the "bed of nails" principle that if it rests equally on a bunch of knobs it won't tweak any of them too badly. It strikes me as problematic, but I've done it a few times with no discernible ill effects. Using something clear makes sense so you can still see what the settings are.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:26 pm

Thanks for the links. I'm sure I could diy something, but it's a little outside my typical project and I didn't know what to call it or what materials to use that wouldn't scratch/break too easily. This should give me a starting point.
Maybe I could get a sheet for the platform and two 1" or 1.5" strips the same width for risers, then tap and countersink some holes to screw them together. It would be nice to have that one piece rounded edge though, especially in front.
I just built two racks that have horizontal-ish top bays, been playing with ideas for something that can double as worksurfaces/ dustcovers and this feels perfect.
Village Idiot.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:18 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote: It strikes me as problematic, but I've done it a few times with no discernible ill effects.
Dude, admit nothing.

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:32 am

I've heard it called a "score trolley" or "script trolley," depending whether you're in a music or post studio. They do ride above the controls, because you wouldn't want to have it accidentally change any settings on a union scoring session.

I've no idea where they come from, and google isn't helping. Neve and SSL ones do indeed have little wheels that run in tracks on the console frame.

You can get sheets of lexan & plexiglass at Homer/Lowes. I know you can soften and bend plexi with a heat gun or oven.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:03 pm

vvv wrote:
Snarl 12/8 wrote: It strikes me as problematic, but I've done it a few times with no discernible ill effects.
Dude, admit nothing.

:twisted:
I meant the coke, btw.
Carl Keil

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:10 am

Eh, OK.

But my advice stands stronger than ever, me thinks.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:03 am

Is plexiglass, erm, nostril friendly?
Village Idiot.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:15 pm

floid wrote:Is plexiglass, erm, nostril friendly?
Dragons, man. It's all dragons. But, er, yeah, but the razor blades scratch the fuck out of it. Now, what was I doing?
Carl Keil

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:34 pm

The Scum wrote:I've heard it called a "score trolley" or "script trolley," depending whether you're in a music or post studio. They do ride above the controls, because you wouldn't want to have it accidentally change any settings on a union scoring session.
In the theatre world it's called a "script tray". Some are custom, some are manufactured. Really it depends on how popular a console is in that world. But they do tend to have little wheels that usually run in slots or tracks or whatever so you can roll it out of the way to access that part of the board quickly.

These days it's 99% of the time on a digital console, and the show mixer (aka board op) is mixing on the VCA faders and hitting the scene "next" button fairly often. There's even a thing about practicing a new show on a dummy fader box so you can learn the moves when you haven't gotten access to the console yet.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:36 pm

(it's really quite an experience to see a professional Broadway style mixer at work. They will actively mix down to the word or even syllable once they've learned the show. They wear out VCA faders the way rap DJ's wear out the crossfader)

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:24 pm

Bingo! That term got me to some more detailed pics on that other site, you know, the one w/ ... dragons. Some nice ideas though, that got the wheels spinning.
The local Lowe's only has thinner plexiglass stock, kind of high too. Monday i'm gonna check with the local glass shop to see what they have and if they can do the bending for me. A proper plastic bending rig is pricey for a one-off project; I think a homebrew rig using my heatgun would likely waste a bunch of stock learning how to get good results. So if they can't do it I'm thinking I might just use some 1/4" aluminum u-channel and switch to a squared away design.
Village Idiot.