Best Preamp to go into NI Audio6 Spdif ins

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

clean_and_humble
takin' a dinner break

Best Preamp to go into NI Audio6 Spdif ins

Post by clean_and_humble » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:42 am

I have the Native Instruments Komplete Audio6 I/O Box in my smaller studio setup. I am about to setup a patchbay for it because more gear has acquired in this B control room and I want to start using the line inputs on the back of the unit and the spdif ins and outs. I was looking at the Art MPA preamp with spdif out and the Apogee mini me
I really want the new Joe Meek q2 but I think that's going a bit overboard in price range for a recording space that is not my main room and mainly for getting electronic instruments into pro tools....

Anyone have any suggestions of a preamp preferably tube with a spdif out that is under $400

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:38 pm

The quality of it's clock will affect everything else, as out only units usually must be the master. That might be a bit low for something with a good clock, variable rates, pads, low pass, phantom and a pair of pres you'll love for years or longer. Save a bit 😉

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:44 pm

The quality of it's clock will affect everything else, as out only units usually must be the master. That might be a bit low for something with a good clock, variable rates, pads, low pass, phantom and a pair of pres you'll love for years or longer. Save a bit 😉

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:49 pm

A budget solution for synths into dAW I might look a Shure line barrel pad (Shure A15AS) - stick it on the mic input of an electro harmonix 12ay7 mic pre and run that to whatever cheap converter with spidf out

JHS colorbox (pedal version) is another cool thing to stick between a synth and converter but might be out of budget also not tube but will add a cool sound like a good tube amp

I'm doing my direct synth / organ like this right now:

instrument in on Roland Space Echo - little labs redeye - Altec 1566a preamp - converter

and the sounds I'm getting are GORGEOUS