Ideas for Writing/Recording w/Kids!?!?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Ideas for Writing/Recording w/Kids!?!?

Post by comfortstarr » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Wasn't sure which forum to ask this in, so forgive. I’m going to do a little project with 4-6 third graders. Basically, we're going to write and record a song. I know I’ll need to put a ton of structure around it, but I still want them to “write” it.

I have a simple home studio set-up: Logic, keyboard, guitars (electric & acoustic), and a couple of basses.

I figured before they come over, maybe have them each write out some song subjects and some lyrics, even a just a line. Once here, maybe I’d start by having them “create” a beat/rhythm (probably leaning on Apple Loops). I thought I'd set-up a few loops/rhythms that sound "current" (these kids are very much into typical kid stuff (top-40). Then get them to come up with a melody and/or baseline. Maybe, have a subset working on lyrics.

I really have no idea! But welcome thoughts and advice. I want them to have fun, but I really want them to complete the song and really feel like "they" did it. It might take two sessions.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Re: Ideas for Writing/Recording w/Kids!?!?

Post by Drone » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:55 pm

I don't know if the composition skill would be there at that age?

Following though, I'm involved in a home school co-op, and do the music side.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Re: Ideas for Writing/Recording w/Kids!?!?

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:02 pm

Kids that age haven't quite had their creativity turned off yet. My advice would be to have everything turned on, ready, mics plugged in and levels set (Might want safety compression/limiting on the vocal mics) and just be ready to capture whatever they throw at you. Should be a blast if they self-selected for this activity. If they're being forced into it, it might require more cajoling on your part.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.