MARIK mod on Cascade Vin-Jet ribbon

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Krackle
studio intern

MARIK mod on Cascade Vin-Jet ribbon

Post by Krackle » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:56 pm

I have a Cascade Vin-Jet that I've used off and on for a bit..thinking about having Marik modify this mic

Anyone here have experience with the Vin-Jet and Marik's work on this mic?

debating selling it and putting towards a better mic but was thinking a bit on it..
Right now, $300 plus for the mod is easier for me than
$600 plus on a better ribbon mic..Down the road of course, resale on the modded VinJet will be an issue..waffling

thanks
Last edited by Krackle on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Re: MARIK mod on Cascade Vin-Jet ribbon

Post by emrr » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:56 pm

Can't address that particular mic, but have some Fatheads he re-ribboned which were vastly improved, and some customs built on Stellar RM-3 platforms (his ribbons, transformers, and resonators) that are also really great. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:26 pm

When I mod sompin', I do it with a specific goal in mind.

For example re ribbon mic's, I've replaced ribbons, tensioned 'em, pulled screens, packed batting to deaden vibration, etc., to resolve (if only perceived) specific issues.

I've considered spending US$50 to replace a transformer, but then thought it basically a gamble on the word of some internet sales weasel, or some "modder" likely as not justifying his hobby.

Nothing on Marik, who has a reputation (I've heard the name, anyway) as a modder who is knowledgeable, but spending US$300 onna US$300 mic?

I reco the Cathedral Pipes Durham.

For the US$300, I'd buy two and then take the remaining US$170 and buy a used CAD Trion 7000.

Pardon the red wine.

(My most-used ribbon mics are a Shiny Box 23L for sound {motor replaced a cuppla years ago by the maker}, then one of those MXL's that look like a Royer for ease of placement, then the Trion for sound ...)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:29 am

Ribbons are ancient tech. The basics were laid out decades ago, but the devil is in the details. A lot of "better" modern mics are essentially"pre-modded." vvv's 23L, and my 46c's, for instance, have upgraded transformers and were ribboned by Jon. My 46c's and your Vin-Jet are the same basic guts in different bodies.

http://recordinghacks.com/2008/11/01/ch ... e-designs/

I've picked up a few of the cheap Nady's and MXL's to fiddle with, and my non-expert mods made significant improvements in output, noise, and freq response.

Marik has a good rep.

Also, the Cathedral Pipes Durham is a stupid good deal.
Village Idiot.

Krackle
studio intern

Post by Krackle » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:33 am

I guess the talk of 'is it worth modding that vin jet for 300' and then straight to a recommendation of the Durham 'booster confused me..the Durham must have a significant effect on overall sound?

buying some different and perhaps better mics, i understand

The Shiny boxes are interesting and have great reps.

As for the Trion..im leery of buying a cheaper Ribbon mic, used, and then having to send it in for ribbon adjustments etc..
it seems the lower end ones tend to suffer from ribbon adjustment issues and/or issues related to installation of the ribbon etc?

this is all the same basic type of bundleof thought that's been rattling in my skull..lol and btw, same shit, different products..all good

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:34 am

I’ve known Marik for many years (>10), he does great work, and knows what's what. On the other side of the pond( if you are tuning in from there), Stewart at xaudia also knows what he’s on about. I also have a repair business at Ulrigg Ribbons( repair.ulrigg.com ).

Many of the issues with these mics stem from quality control, and somewhat random design choices on internals, which is why I in-housed assembly and ribboning years back.

I’m not a fan of the Trion motor design(its in a couple other mics as well), so personally do not recommend it.

The Durham and it’s ilk (fethead, cloudlifter, etc.), are just a means to acquire some additional gain if the mic pre you are using is lacking, or gets noisy at the top of its gain range. They all do the job, and can be handy for passive dynamic mics as well.

Back to the vinjet, is it not functioning properly, or are you just questioning how much better it could be?

Regards

Jon

Krackle
studio intern

Post by Krackle » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi Mr. shiny..thanks for taking a moment..

Vin-Jet seems to be working fine..i get good results form it but it 'feels' a little failed for lack of a better term..but I don't have reference so, who knows, really..

I read in a few spots that his mods made a definite difference..opening things up a bit, solidifying low end somewhat etc..

these are his itemized mods on the Vin-Jet

1) Replacing ribbon with the foil and corrugation we use in our premium MF65 and VL37 microphones
2) Replacing transformer with our own high end toroidal transformers
3) installing resonator plates specifically designed and tuned for that kind of motor

(I originally got in touch with him about his mod for the infamous AKG c-1000 mice..well hated mic..I have two of them...my first two mics on a budget..Marik's mod for these things is supposed to be pretty great..reviewed and he swears by it..)

but through all of this there is the old ..Modded equipment at resale loses out.

Anyhow..thanks for chiming in and your stuff is definitely on my radar..just need to make a decision.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:02 am

Re the Trion, I like it as a distance mic on amps, which is my main use for ribbons. The MXL is more a second close mic on amps, because it fits into tight spaces (ex., in my bedio) and sounds different than my primary dynamic.

The SB23L sounds great on anything I've used it on, altho' my primary use for it is as a distance mic on amps, or a room mic for vox and re-amping.

( should note that my use of "distance" means 3-6', or out in the hall from my bedio.)

Re the Durham, I do believe it's doin sompin' just a little different than adding gain, or mebbe it's just it's gotta be understood to be adding gain before the preamp. It almost feels like a subtle EQ or exciter in giving a touch of "clarity", and does the same for dynamics. It can be really cool on a SM7b, for example; it can make a SM58 sound kinda like a Beta 58.

Shit, I been cooking and mixing all day, have a sprained fretting ring finger, and I need to play. :evil:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:25 am

If you are still just getting a mic locker going and want "a pretty good ribbon" you could sell the vin-jet and invest a bit more to get some solid choices. Stuff you can get straight from Shinybox, the nicer Cascade models (I really like my Gomez on some guitars or as an overhead), or a used Beyer m160 is pretty attainable. I still haven't been able to dip in to the RCA, or AEA level stuff, but thus far messing with ribbons I've tried to drop some of the gearslutz thinking, (the kind of mystique that they shoot fairy-dust magic into your ears), and instead see them as another utility. Even the hallowed R121 is mainly used for only one purpose in most studios that have them.

Krackle
studio intern

Post by Krackle » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:17 am

Hey..sorry to disappear on you all..Had to dive into the family stuff..
Wanted to say i appreciate all the thoughtful responses

Im gonna re approach what I'm gonna buy after the new year's bling fades

There's an M88 used in my area, i think i might try and get a good price on that and run it through a few motions
to get an idea if it's something i can use..I'll re-sell it if it don's fit into my needs etc.

Still set on a ribbon of some sort..I'll be back to ask more questions I'm sure

Lots of good mentions here..so thanks

Be safe tonight and i recommend Prince's Housequake for a 12:03am dance cut..straight fun jam.

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:47 pm

Krackle wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:17 am
There's an M88 used in my area
buy that