Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:40 am

Ibanez Soundtank Cyberdrive: because jacquesstompboxes reco'd it - a stuck wah distortion, sounds cool, altho' inna plastic box.

Why do Ebog pedal-floggers so seldom clean shite before they mail it? :evil:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:30 pm

I've been on a bit of a tear lately -

12 Gauge red, green and black electret condensers (omni, cardiod and stereo cardioid). Pretty fun and useable so far. I've got the omni parked on the foot panel of my cameo piano (replacing a 635a) and the cardioid parked on my Hammond s6. Still haven't found a happy home for the stereo mic. It's a little noisy for quiet room duties. Might be nice as a drum room. We'll see.

Ward Beck M457 4 channel stereo mic mixer. Really nice so far but I haven't dug in as far as I'd like yet. 4 in, 2 out mic pre/mixer. Transformer ins and outs. Sounds really good.

Custom built Ampeg B15 pre amp. Bought this from a friends studio. He had it made by his amp tech. I've used it on every bass track I've recorded at his place in the last few years. It's the only time I've ever liked direct bass. Makes the shittiest bass sound decent. Makes a good bass sound amazing.
Last edited by A.David.MacKinnon on Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:21 pm

The 12 Guage are fun. I did the 5 pack with the same models you have. I really should use them more.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:04 am

dave i looked up pics of that ward beck, looks super cool. what controls does it have (pic was too small and low res)?

i love small vintage mixers.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:11 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:04 am
dave i looked up pics of that ward beck, looks super cool. what controls does it have (pic was too small and low res)?

i love small vintage mixers.
Each channel has input and output controls on a concentric pot and then buttons for outs A and B. So if you're using it for mix purposes your looking a centre, left, right.
By all accounts you can take a line out of each channel from right before the buffer amp.i don't know that I'll ever get to that though.
For me it'll basically let me sum multiple mics on guitar amps or top and bottom snare mics. Or a 4 mic drum set-up into one track of my 488 (as is happening more and more these days).

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:22 am

Totally forgot that I also picked up a Rogers 14" single tension marching snare. Makes a great rack tom.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:57 pm

A Focusrite Saffire 18i8 interface (Alesis io26 intermittenly crapped out and/or wasn't supported by the last several OSX upgrades. Alesis is on my shit list for
their "upgrade/update" policy on that one).

More recently, a Marshall "Regenerator" chorus/flange/phase/step phase (a cool sample and hold-like rhythmic sound)/vibe pedal,
and 5 sets of strings for $2 each (4 acoustic, and one pack of .08's for Ric 12 and other hi strung hijinks).

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:03 pm

Picked up a cool, little clay jug/vase from a flower shop for two or three bucks when I was picking up some flowers for my wife for Valentine's day. Drilled a hole in the side, and... instant udu drum! It's much smaller than a normal udu drum, but sounds great, and is perfect for picking up and playing while reading the newspaper online.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:45 pm

I just picked up a Schecter S-1 as my new #2 guitar.

I had two Gibsons stolen a couple years back, and have just been playing a Guild SG since. Living dangerously to perform energetic music without a backup guitar- strings break.

At any rate, I picked up the Guild because I couldn't afford to buy another Gibson, and ever since have decided I'm into humbucker guitars that are slightly left field. The Schecter is the kind with the pick guard, for some reason the S-1 with a pick guard looks almost like a Les Paul Jr. to me, and the ones without look more like a metal-dude guitar. I'm not a metal dude.

I'll probably be putting some new pickups in it. I should experiment, but the Seymour Duncan JB just sounds like rock and roll to me, and all my other ideas (i.e. Lollar) are pricier.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:10 pm

losthighway wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:45 pm
I just picked up a Schecter S-1 as my new #2 guitar.

I had two Gibsons stolen a couple years back, and have just been playing a Guild SG since. Living dangerously to perform energetic music without a backup guitar- strings break.

At any rate, I picked up the Guild because I couldn't afford to buy another Gibson, and ever since have decided I'm into humbucker guitars that are slightly left field. The Schecter is the kind with the pick guard, for some reason the S-1 with a pick guard looks almost like a Les Paul Jr. to me, and the ones without look more like a metal-dude guitar. I'm not a metal dude.

I'll probably be putting some new pickups in it. I should experiment, but the Seymour Duncan JB just sounds like rock and roll to me, and all my other ideas (i.e. Lollar) are pricier.
I’ve always had a soft spot for schecters...and even one of their “sister” guitars a Daisy Rock Rock Candy makes it as one of my “player” guitars. Used to be my main stage guitar (when I played on stage) but now I have it loaded with a pair of Lace Alumitones that I found for like $35 each on Reverb...

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:45 am

Little Labs Redcloud 8810U8ERS 8-Channel Balanced Attenuator from evilbay. Might add an additional TT patch bay soon, too (2nd one)...
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:40 pm

Just stumbled upon a second Effectron 2. I have to stop now. For a while at least.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:11 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:40 pm
Just stumbled upon a second Effectron 2. I have to stop now. For a while at least.
That box is often a key character when a mixing session turns into an artistic, fun/party time atmosphere. I use it for subtle pre delays and stuff too, but usually when someone wants something to sound chopped and screwed that box falls into the signal chain.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:29 pm

losthighway wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:11 pm
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
That box is often a key character when a mixing session turns into an artistic, fun/party time atmosphere. I use it for subtle pre delays and stuff too, but usually when someone wants something to sound chopped and screwed that box falls into the signal chain.
I love it. My first one is one of my earliest pieces of gear that has survived all the various permutations of my studio over the years (that and a pair of DBX 163Xs). I really got into printing it twice for slightly different left-right delays but running things through twice and not being able to hear the final result until it's printed is a pain. Later I had it paired with an Ibanez DM500 which is actually pretty close in tone and character although with shorter delay time and less headroom/output. Having two Effectrons is my digital delay holy grail.
I may need to make another dub record now.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:50 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:29 pm
losthighway wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:11 pm
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
I love it. My first one is one of my earliest pieces of gear that has survived all the various permutations of my studio over the years (that and a pair of DBX 163Xs). I really got into printing it twice for slightly different left-right delays but running things through twice and not being able to hear the final result until it's printed is a pain. Later I had it paired with an Ibanez DM500 which is actually pretty close in tone and character although with shorter delay time and less headroom/output. Having two Effectrons is my digital delay holy grail.
I may need to make another dub record now.
That stereo trick sounds awesome, but yeah, time consuming. Now I want to buy another.

It's cool that for a dated piece of digital technology it can still do a pretty good Elvis/Springsteen's Nebraska type slap with a little eq and a pinch of short verb.

Now I also want to buy a Roland Tape Echo- damn delays for being so cool.