Since we're talking headphones

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

floid
buyin' a studio

Since we're talking headphones

Post by floid » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:21 pm

A while back I went to an installation in chi-town that consisted of live meditative loopy guitar you listened to on headphones. They were using AKG k77's. I haven't used any AKGs in a baker's decade.... They were so comfortable. No idea how useable that model would be sound-wise, as it was a guitar only type thing, but wow, really liked the fit.
Makes my hd280's feel like a chore.
Village Idiot.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Since we're talking headphones

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:49 am

I've always like AKG headphones like the K240. But they don't fold, and fall apart with a gust of strong wind.
I've been using the Shures for a few years. Forget the model. Sell for $100 new.
They are not premium looking, dont sound hyped, they fold up. They look as new today as when I bought them.
I keep meaning to get some Beyers. But I always end up walking out of the store with a cheaper model which sounds close enough.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:29 am

I just tried those K240s over the weekend. I was really surprised by how nice they sound, and very comfortable. I might pick up a couple pairs.

I dig the sound of the AT ath m50x's quite a bit. I've even managed to mix an album through them with decent translation, but I'm not a big fan of the fit. They sit really tight. I honestly think it's affecting my TMJ when I have to wear them for extended periods. The Beyer DT770s are like a gift from god when it comes to comfort. I can't wait to afford a pair of those again someday.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:15 am

the best akg k240 are the vintage Sextett model. They have silver badges and the headband has large circular holes in it. they have six passive radiators (hence sextett) that give them a better sound and more bass. only issue is they are 600 ohm so you might need an amp or headphone amp to drive them.

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:52 am

I have a pair of old K240DF (DF = Diffused Field). They are also 600 ohm and the fit is as comfortable as all the AKG K240 cans - wear 'em all day! The DF version was supposed to sound more like speakers for monitoring purposes and I have to say they do seem more open and natural than even the pair of K240 Mk II I own. Lately I have been listening a lot on a pair of cheap Grado Prestige AR60e cans and I am blown away by how refreshingly good they sound. A real bargain. Not as comfortable as the AKGs though.
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:11 pm

I'm a shout out the Sony 7506's for the follering reasons:

1. good isolation
2. they are something of a standard;
3. pretty sturdy, and repairable;
4. they break in nicely;
5. good isolation;
6. comfortable enough;
7. they are black;
8. simple padded middle piece;
9. good isolation;
10. once the latex wears off (messy), the cheek pads are again excellent;
11. under US$100, new, if you shop for 'em;
12. good isolation
13. the somewhat hype-d bass is actually helpful to check mixes, excite performances, etc.
14. good isolation
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:20 am

I got two dozend headphones in the studio (and broke a few dozends more over the decades) and it's very personal which to get, frequency distribution and fit/the size and shape of your head and whatnot. So skip "opinions" and go try a few, sit for an hour, read a book listening to music and see which keep feeling good after an hour. A good price/sound relation can be had from Superlux, they have okay "versions" of AKG and Beyers. Forget Monoprice. Then, of course the originals - they have a good reputation for a reason. To the extreme, isolation headphones don't come any better than those heavy duty helicopter headphones that have real capsules built in (not just the honky intercom stuff) but i would have to write down the exact number - they are in the studio. Cost more than 300 € but you can wear them all day with their gel pads.
Due to luck and circumstances i am offering a limited run of Beyerdynamic M380 clones with unused Beyer capsules. PM me for info.