Fostex G16

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Psalisbury
audio school

Fostex G16

Post by Psalisbury » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:18 pm

Hi everyone, newbie here with a quick tape reel question. I recently purchased a G16 in excellent condition that was professionally serviced in 2001 and has been in storage since. It was set to a bias of 996 even though the manual says to use Ampex 456 tape. I already have a few reels of 456 tape. Can I still run the 456 without problems, or will I hear a major difference, or cause damage to the deck? Also, is it super easy to set it back to 456 bias, rather than buy new 996 tape? Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: Fostex G16

Post by kslight » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:47 pm

Damage? It shouldn't. But it might gunk up your machine.

Sonically though, you will have duller recordings using 456 on a machine aligned for 996. Try and see if its acceptable for your use. If the tape starts to heavily shed or get sticky I would throw it away.

A reel to reel not being serviced in 17 years isn't really a good state of confidence, I would highly suggest getting it checked out and aligned for your preferred tape formulation. In my experience, "vintage" tape is not always worth the cost savings...if you were to go through the trouble of aligning it I would commit to a modern tape formulation. I would be hesitant of picking up a "new" reel of 996 as well. You really want something of new manufacture, not simply NOS.

Rebiasing isn't so much overly difficult, but if you don't have the tools, MRL tape, etc...I wouldn't tinker with it if you don't know what you're doing. I imagine the service manual will give a detailed overview of the procedure, which will need adapted per what formula of tape you use. Probably needs a pro service at this point.

Psalisbury
audio school

Post by Psalisbury » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:20 pm

Thank you, I really appreciate your help! Do you think the bias could have become unadjusted over the years even if it has not been touched or used?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:16 pm

Psalisbury wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:20 pm
Thank you, I really appreciate your help! Do you think the bias could have become unadjusted over the years even if it has not been touched or used?
It’s almost certain because component values will drift with age.

Do you know for a fact (with your own eyes and ears) that this machine works?

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:49 pm

Sticky tape can also manifest as slow RR/FW. My 38 came w/ a stock of "good" 456. Chucking it in favor of some RMGI made all the difference.
Village Idiot.

Psalisbury
audio school

Post by Psalisbury » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:51 pm

kslight wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:16 pm
Psalisbury wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:20 pm
It’s almost certain because component values will drift with age.

Do you know for a fact (with your own eyes and ears) that this machine works?
Unfortunately I don’t, the seller told me it did, so that’s all I have to go on