UAD Ocean Way users, re: the re-mic function...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

UAD Ocean Way users, re: the re-mic function...

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:26 am

Having a hard time wrapping my head around a practical use for the Ocean Way plugin's "re-mic" function vs. just using it as a reverb / room sim, so thought I'd ask the collective brain and maybe bet inspired.

Also, any cool tips and tricks with this thing are welcome.

So far, I've used it's most basic function of adding some depth and faking a room using it in reverb mode. I do a lot of mobile recordings in less than ideal rooms (shitty, they're shitty rooms), so I am almost never afforded the opportunity to put up room mics that give me something useable. I rely on the OW plugin to fake it. Works well, but it's a beast of a plugin and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Would love to hear how you guys like to use it.

:idea:
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Re: UAD Ocean Way users, re: the re-mic function...

Post by permanent hearing damage » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:34 pm

i don't use it often - mostly because the way it loads my sessions/spreads across processors, it almost always disables something when i open it back up again and i need to go hunt down something and turn them back on in the right order. that said, it has totally saved my ass when mixing drums tracked in tiny and dead rooms/basements. also had success mellowing out some seriously piercing/harsh guitar tones on something i tracked in 2005 (yikes) and was toying with remixing.

i've only ever used the re-mic function, but just use the closest mic and make it as close as you can - i think it gets down to 1/2' away? the mic options can add a lot as well - some settings have a ribbon option. if you wanna mess with the tone but don't want a ton of room in there, try this as a starting point.

i don't know that i've utilized even 20% of the damn thing, but it has worked gloriously for me several times. certainly not always useful, but when it is, nothing works quite like it.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:01 pm

Simply put, re-mic places the track in a new soundfield in the OW space and reverb leaves the dry signal and allows you to add the ambiance behind the existing track. I like both for different uses.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:22 pm

I'll second the "saved my ass" sentiment... I was in the same boat about this plug-in (not really seeing the practical application) but then I went to Larry's mix workshop one weekend in the summer of 2016, and he showed how it could totally rescue these bone-dry horns (pun nearly unavoidable) from a mix I'd struggled with... and I was sold.

Since then, I've bought the plug-in and used it to liven up dead-room drum recordings, and even just to put a rhodes "in a cool space" in the mix.It's definitely a uniquely vibey way to add space to a sound. It's not something I use on every single mix, but it's a really good 'go-to' when I'm not really trying to give something a huge reverb tail, but I want it to sound a little more spacious.