Converters and Monitoring for Pro Tools

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Converters and Monitoring for Pro Tools

Post by earth tones » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:30 am

I'm returning to the realm of recording after several years on the sidelines and am in need of a new interface, as my legacy 002r with BLA sig mod, PT10 setup is no longer operational. I have a simple, but high-quality outboard chain of preamplification/compression and would therefore rather buy a good quality device with only converters and monitoring.

Is there a recommended PT-compatible interface on the market that offers 2-8 channels of D/A - A/D conversion and monitoring (but no preamps)?

Do most of you find that you're purchasing new I/O interfaces every 5 - 8 years? I really wanted to ride my legacy configuration as long as possible, but I've reached a point where I'd either have to buy a replacement iMac configured to support 002r and PT10 or upgrade PT and interface.

Thanks for your suggestions and thoughts.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Converters and Monitoring for Pro Tools

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:59 am

Today, most third party interfaces will work with the current version of Pro Tools.

Questions:

1. What is your budget?

2. Are you planning on upgrading the amount of IO channels in the future?

Right now I am loving my new Focusrite RedNet interfaces. Focusrite is not inexpensive, but it is well worth the price. They use Dante protocol to route audio via ethernet CAT 5 and 6 cables. Which makes for a much better experience, and easily scalable.

Check their stuff out.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:16 am

If you only need 8 inputs and no preamps, the MOTU Monitor 8 will give you those PLUS a seriously badass headphone/monitor system with network capability (although it's only USB2 or Ethernet, no thunderbolt). Comes with great onboard monitoring/routing DSP that you can control via web app.

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:07 am

Budget: $1000-2000
Probably will not need to upgrade IO in the future if I purchase 8 channels of IO now.

Are most interfaces offering about the same latency specs when working with Pro Tools?

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:17 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:59 am
Right now I am loving my new Focusrite RedNet interfaces. Focusrite is not inexpensive, but it is well worth the price. They use Dante protocol to route audio via ethernet CAT 5 and 6 cables. Which makes for a much better experience, and easily scalable.
What does your RedNet setup look like? Are you using the stock ethernet port on your computer or one of these RedNet PCI cards? I'm curious to know how simple of a setup could be configured with the RedNet system.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:34 am

earth tones wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:17 am
What does your RedNet setup look like? Are you using the stock ethernet port on your computer or one of these RedNet PCI cards? I'm curious to know how simple of a setup could be configured with the RedNet system.
Hi there,

It is two units, one a HD32R, which talks to the Pro Tools TDM system, 32 tracks in and out max.

The other one is a RedNet 2, which is 16 in and out. Line inputs and outputs. This one goes Ethernet to the above unit.
But it also can be used straight with the Ethernet on my mac laptop, with their Dante "virtual soundcard" driver.

Fun thing: I can run the laptop, the TDM system, all through a gigabit switch, and they all see each other,
and there is a virtual patch bay where you can send and receive sound to and from all three devices.

The virtual driver can give me up to 128 channels in total in and out of one computer. But that does need their PCIe card.
Regular Ethernet I've only seen up to 64 tracks from my laptop.

Which is crazy.

The RedNet software is really only to "see" the units as Focusrite units. The real thing is the Dante Controller and virtual Soundcard software.
that is where you can configure the system.

You cannot change the sample rate from inside Pro Tools, but you can have the Dante Controller open during your sessions.

I've done Foley just with the laptop, the RedNet 2, and some mic preamps. Works really well.

The TDM mac is running Mac OS 10.6.8, and the laptop is on Mac OS 10.13.whatnot. It all works well.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:24 pm

AVB and Dante do pretty much the same thing, but AVB is an open standard created by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), while Dante is a proprietary standard owned by Audinate and licensed to brands like Focusite to use with their products. Dante is being adopted by some popular brands, but I'd still rather trust an open standard for stability, longevity, and access. Plus I'm salty because my name is Dante.