vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

Re: vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Post by shedshrine » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:58 am

Hey Gregg,
Yeah, 15k for the laser table, at least when I posted that.

As for the photos returning...
Using a Photobucket hack for the moment just to see what was where, and replacing photos one by one, post by post, backwards through this thread.
The Tascam 388 thread will be next. Using imgzeit now, $11 a year, specifically for 3rd party hosting. very reasonable and I have some skin in the game. I obviously didn't like Photobucket dropping 3rd party hosting after I'd committed to it for over a decade, but what can you expect for free?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:14 pm

Nice haul at a yard sale a few days ago:

Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:53 am

Garage sales. Feast or famine. or you arrive just as the guy ahead of you gleefully shouts "score!" holding aloft a pristine 1969 copy of
In the Court of the Crimson King. (That soft suede-paper cover is always toast)
As he heads to the back of the driveway to hand the nice lady her $3, you overhear..

"oh c'mon now, don't you want to haggle?"
"Okay, fine, I'll give you $2."

Gratuitous pic of massive Marconi recorder.
Last edited by shedshrine on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:39 pm

The 3 Systems of the Mancave, the shed shrine (aka the guest room):

"Shedshrine" was what I called my sheetrock, insulation and packing tape room-within-a-room recording structure I built in my tiny apartment while living in Japan. Now it refers to my music room/guest room. All three systems use the same set of speakers, a pair of Klipsch Forte 1's. There are three sets of cables, I just unplug whatever setup I'm currently using and plug in the next. Speaker cables are nothing fancy, Magnolia audio store house cable. All are terminated with banana plug pairs. You may notice the speakers are upside down. I inverted them so the horns were more ear-level aligned. Got this pair off craigslist and talked about their back story earlier in this thread. Zebra wood finish, and fully outfitted with all the available Bob Crites mods. They sound great with these viintage receivers. Very live, open sound. Interconnects are all Blue Jean cables.

LInk: Larger version of this panorama shot.

SYSTEM 1

A McIntosh MAC 1500 receiver and a Denon DP 62L direct drive turntable. Cartridge is a Ruby F9E.
The 1500 was McIntosh's first receiver, manufacture date sticker says 1966. Solid state preamp, tube tuner and power amp. It was missing some of the heavy milled aluminum knobs, but found some NOS ones online thankfully for a reasonable price. The headphones out also gets the tube treatment.

The Denon is from 1982. The original owner stored it well and it has been without issue thus far, though I should get it recapped soon before I ruin it. There's an unubtanium chip in there that needs to be protected. It's got a similar micro controlled tonearm to the Sony below. The rosewood veneered base is in great shape, but it does have some deep scratches (melt marks?) that wont' buff out on the lid, looking for one of the nice aftermarket ones available online at some point.

SYSTEM 2

An HH Scott 222b integrated tube amplifier with a Thorens TD 125 belt driven table. The Scott only has 13 watts but sounds very good driving the Klipsch. The Thorens is running a Dynavector 10x4 high output MC cartridge. I got a good deal on the Thorens due to a cracked cover and decals/water damage on the wood base. It cleaned up nicely, got a new lid off ebay. Those after market lids are very nice! The arm is a Shure SME 3009, a very popular mod to these in the 1970's (and beyond).

SYSTEM 3

These receivers were what my friends dads' had in their living rooms when I was a kid, and I loved the nice walnut case some had.
This Marantz 2270 came home with me about 5 years ago after a visit to a vintage audio dealer in Sacramento. It came with a 90 day warranty. Within six months the main speaker outputs blew and the off/on button had stuck in the on position. At that point I started using a power strip to turn it off and on, and using the 2nd set of speaker outs until they too blew.

Kinda disgusted, I stored it under the bed for a few years, Finally got it fixed last month. Two weeks later the phono preamps for phono 1 went out, switched to phono 2, fuzzy left channel quickly ensued Ah, vintage audio.

Turntable is a 1979 Sony PS-X75 with an Ortofon Blue cartridge. Great sound though some of the touch controls are janky. Usually the arm pulls up at the end of the side but doesn't return. If I hit the power button off and on at that point it completes its journey back to its post.
Sure it's got a lot of bells and whistles that can go wrong, and the back end of the micro controlled tonearm resembles a walker from StarWars, but this large, heavy and very well built turntable is a beautiful piece and fun to work with.

It has been recapped, but the soft touch controls would need to be replaced to get it fully up to snuff.

A cool feature for this Sony deck is that the controls are still accessible with the lid down.

It has a knob to adjust cartridge weight right out front. (Now this feature actually functions on my deck..of course I have to verify its accuracy with a digital scale, but anyway..) Nevertheless, it is very cool to be able to adjust the tracking force weight in small increments while a record is playing and hear the difference in sound.

_______
Using a Lounge Audio LCRMKIII MM Phono Preamp with the Marantz now. I really like the Marantz phono sound I was getting, but the Lounge sounds great in its own right. I'd say cleaner and more precise version of good sound.

* SYSTEM 4

I have a couple more components that will be put into service someday. A Pioneer SA 9500II integrated amp that needs a small repair and a Dual 1229 idler drive turntable that needs a rebuild.

With the Pioneer, I tried pushing oversized cabling and maybe even banana plugs into the push=down/insert-the-cable speaker inputs in back of the amplifier and bent them all up. Taking it apart to see if I could bend them straight again I broke the fine strand wire connections to the amp interior. Doh. Could just use it as is as a preamp for the time being. (I've got one last piece, a Parasound power amp stored under a bed at the moment. )

Sure, I suppose I could sell off all of this and put it towards a really dependable amazing modern high end system. But I'm thinking, I like tubes, I like solid state. I like hybrids. I know that if I just run one system I'll get bored of it over time, and it's great to be able to run music through a different system from time to time, keeps things fresh and favorites sounding interesting in new ways. At this point I've accumulated a bunch of old pieces to swap around and it keeps it all fun. The puttering around with how things are configured is a big part of the allure of this sport for me.

DIGITAL

Atop that Pioneer integrated amp is a Border Patrol DAC. I just got it a few days ago after researching DAC's for awhile now, and these were getting rave reviews. It definitely sounds more present and full than the Nuforce I was using prior. I know some folks consider burn in a psuedo effect, but I know I have noted the sound opening up after a few hours with the Border Patrol. I like Steve Gutenberg (the audiophiliac) 's reviews and he gives this DAC his thumbs up so I thought it worth a listen. And it's got a tube. It's still here a few weeks in so I guess I'm keeping it.

..Bedroom setup.
The pair of bedside JBL Decade 36 are a bit of fun overkill, like a huge pair of 3-way headphones.
The cabinet hides away the Marantz 2220 (Why are you hiding the Marantz?)
and a Sony MiniDisc deck*.
There also a Technics SL1700 mk1 turntable to the right there on the dresser.

*The minidisc format (click for "Ode to the minidisc" thread) may have jumped the shark, but I keep it around because It's still a fun format to work with. I've got lots of mix md's and vinyl dubs in those lower drawers. I really enjoyed using them as mix down decks when they first came out. Digital editing!! A compressed format to be sure, but by the time of Type R atrac it was very high quality. The HD version (High Definition lossless) came out just before the whole ship sank. By then the napster revolution had sealed its fate.

ImageImage
Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:14 am, edited 30 times in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:45 pm

The Analogue Synthesizer as a Folk Instrument of Humanist Resistance

I have a fascination with the era when synths first came into the hands of the everyman, economy of scale enabling that to happen. The awe and wonder of hitting keys and getting otherworldly sounds and how they played off the imagination.There's a documentary called Synth Brittania that talks about kids hearing Walter Carlos' trippy electronic classical "A Clockwork Orange" soundtrack and Donna Summer's Giorgio Moroder produced "I Feel Love" and wanting to get something going with synths.
So when I heard about the Cold Waves of Color series I was all over it. Using masters of Underground small runs of cassette compilations available only by mailing in cut outs from the back of magazines in the late '70s early 80's. The master tapes have now been remastered and put out on vinyl in five volumes, the fifth just having come out.
compililations of electronic synth pop, cold wave and minimal tracks from the Color Tapes label, spanning 1981-1985. The Color Tapes label was the brainchild of a young Gary Ramon after being inspired by cassette labels such as Fuck Off Tapes, Weird Noise and other underground UK labels; also by the music of the late ’70’s and early ’80’s such as Cabaret Voltaire, Suicide, Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, Throbbing Gristle, Fad Gadget, as well as electronic musicians such as John Cage, La Monte Young, Stockhausen, Pierre Henry, Moondog, and others. The tracks from this compilation originally came out only on limited cassette runs of 100 copies sold at gigs, mail order and record shops. “Must-have collection of English post-punk rarities, sourced from the legendary Color Tapes label, all presented on vinyl for the first time. This is a treasure trove especially considering the quality of the remasters. This is the realest deal for people into Minimal Wave, Dark Entries, OG Wave music. Don’t sleep!” – Boomkat review.

I read that interest in early electronica happening in a current New York scene (and elsewhere) got this going. And that New York scene?...
There are three and four lp sets from Wierd Records that document the acts that have played at Wierd in Brooklyn, Volume 1 and Volume II which I picked up recently as well.

"Part 1 of Wierd's original 2006 compilation, featuring a full spectrum of modern minimalist synth-pop, Cold Wave and experimental synth-noise. Spread between the multifarious operations of Martial Canterel (Xeno & Oaklander with Liz Wendelbo), and Ramiro Juancarlos (Staccato Du Mal, Flesh Graey Display), the fantastically monikered A Vague Disquiet and oneoffs from the likes of 2VM, Tobias Bernstrup, Fanuelle and Diako Diakoff,

Part 2 of Wierd's original 2006 compilation, featuring more full spectrum modern minimalist synth-pop, Cold Wave and experimental synth-noise. Again, Xeno & Oaklander and Ramiro Juancarlos figure heavily, with highlights found on the former's 'Cold Forever', and the harrowed TG-styles of Opus Finis (Juancarlos) on 'Havoc Heap' or 'Scrying Information'. Also look out for Tobias Bernstrup on the urgent Italo jacker 'Into The Abyss', the metallic pulse of Ktano's 'Three to Forgotten' and A Vague Disquiet's dystopian sci-fi noise scape 'Instrumental 1-2-6-2'.

These comps could be considered partly responsible for the current glut of DIY synth-pop in circulation. Respect where it's due!"
Packaged in a deluxe gatefold sleeve and accompanied by a 32 pages book containing lyrics, band bios, and over 300 photos, many taken from live performances at the weekly Wierd label party, which has been active in New York City since 2003. Also included in the booklet is a statement of purpose for this vast project entitled "2008 : The Analogue Synthesizer as a Folk Instrument of Humanist Resistance".

Also pictured: Hot Snakes "Jericho Sirens". I don't have a lot of hardcore punk, but this was playing at The Last Record Store a couple weekends ago and I really dug the changes happening on this. I haven't had a chance to crack this open and listen closely yet, but it seemed maybe there were some alternate tunings enabling some non standard things happening.

Top right: Biomechanoid by Joel Vandroogenbroeck. The H.R. Giger cover painting is perfect.(In case you don't know, he did ELP's Brain Salad Surgery and designed the creature from the Alien movie series) Gurgly, bubbly dark plasma electronic recordings. For when that's what you need to hear. :)
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:40 am

Orchestral Zappa..in red..from Germany.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:05 pm

what is the difference in sound at 45 rpm and 33.3? is it like 15 IPS and 30 IPS different or not so much? like one has bass the other has treble?

i've never been able to do an A/B test.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:12 pm

Unfortunately I can’t make a direct A/B comparison comment for you on this particular album, for a couple reasons. (at least not an apples to apples comparison) This new edition, Lumpy Gravy Primordial, is of only the orchestral music that was used on Lumpy Gravy. (It was also available in cd form on Lumpy Money.) I have a lot of Zappa on hand, but I don't have either of those yet.

Lumpy Gravy Primordial discogs' album listing:
From the comments section: “A very different animal than Lumpy Gravy...much more of a serious avant-garde orchestral work without all the surf music (and conversations recorded in highly ambient pedal-depressed panchromatic domains). Very dense...going to be one of those “rewarding” listens."

Additionally, I heard Frank say in a Letterman utube interview that the stereo masters of his early albums were so poorly stored that the oxide was falling away, they would have to remixed for any future re-issue which apparently was on his radar at the time. (Lumpy Gravy finally came out remastered to vinyl in 2012).

As for 33 vs 45 in general:
“The theory is, as far as I can tell, the higher the playback pitch (speed), the higher the (possible) sound resolution (density/quality).

Think of it this way: if you are recording on tape, as the tape rolls past the recording head, you want as much information to be recorded as possible, so it would make sense to run as much of the tape over the heads as possible in any given moment. A short piece of tape can hold less information than a long one, it's just a matter of how quickly one can get that info on there. For playback, the same is true.

This is why 45 rpm 12" singles were made; in order to fit more info on the disc, the grooves were made literally longer, covering more ground (and also made wider) for higher sound resolution.

Is it always true that 45s are of higher quality than 33s? No, definitely not. But that was the intention behind the increase in pitch."

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:33 pm

But what i do have is a 33.3 rpm and 45 rpm version of Zappa's Valley Girl..
Just played these a few times each..for this particular comparison, the 45 wins hands down. Richer, fuller, more defined, more present. Wackerman's cymbals sound more like cymbals. More 3D all around. etc. etc. etc..

extra credit:
history: 45 vs lp format war 1949 to present
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:14 pm

thanks shred. as a bassist i'm always interested in the "more bass content" not in an EDM 20HZ bass synth way, but more just a "fuller mix" like 15 IPS or 7.5 IPS where i'm hearing the bass not a 30 IPS bass sound at 100HZ.

if it's just a better overall sound, and like you said wider grooves so more information presented, i'm into that.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:09 am

shedshrine wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:39 pm

"Shedshrine" was what I called my sheetrock, insulation and packing tape room-within-a-room recording structure I built in my tiny apartment while living in Japan. Now it refers to my music room/guest room. All three systems use the same set of speakers, a pair of Klipsch Forte 1's. There are three sets of cables, I just unplug whatever setup I'm currently using and plug in the next. Speaker cables are nothing fancy, Magnolia audio store house cable. All are terminated with banana plug pairs. You may notice the speakers are upside down. I inverted them so the horns were more ear-level aligned. Got this pair off craigslist and talked about their back story earlier in this thread. Zebra wood finish, and fully outfitted with all the available Bob Crites mods. They sound great with these viintage receivers. Very live, open sound. Interconnects are all Blue Jean cables.

SYSTEM 1

A McIntosh MAC 1500 receiver and a Denon DP 62L direct drive turntable. Cartridge is a Ruby F9E.
The 1500 was McIntosh's first receiver, manufacture date sticker says 1966. Solid state preamp, tube tuner and power amp. It was missing some of the heavy milled aluminum knobs, but found some NOS ones online thankfully for a reasonable price. The headphones out also gets the tube treatment.

The Denon is from 1982. The original owner stored it well and it has been without issue thus far, though I should get it recapped soon before I ruin it. There's an unubtanium chip in there that needs to be protected. It's got a similar micro controlled tonearm to the Sony below. The rosewood veneered base is in great shape, but it does have some deep scratches (melt marks?) that wont' buff out on the lid, looking for one of the nice aftermarket ones available online at some point.

SYSTEM 2

An HH Scott 222b integrated tube amplifier with a Thorens TD 125 belt driven table. The Scott only has 13 watts but sounds very good driving the Klipsch. The Thorens is running a Dynavector 10x4 high output MC cartridge. I got a good deal on the Thorens due to a cracked cover and decals/water damage on the wood base. It cleaned up nicely, got a new lid off ebay. Those after market lids are very nice! The arm is a Shure SME 3009, a very popular mod to these in the 1970's (and beyond).

SYSTEM 3

These receivers were what my friends dads' had in their living rooms when I was a kid, and I loved the nice walnut case some had.
This Marantz 2270 came home with me about 5 years ago after a visit to a vintage audio dealer in Sacramento. It came with a 90 day warranty. Within six months the main speaker outputs blew and the off/on button had stuck in the on position. At that point I started using a power strip to turn it off and on, and using the 2nd set of speaker outs until they too blew.

Kinda disgusted, I stored it under the bed for a few years, Finally got it fixed last month. Two weeks later the phono preamps for phono 1 went out, switched to phono 2, fuzzy left channel quickly ensued Ah, vintage audio.

Turntable is a 1979 Sony PS-X75 with an Ortofon Blue cartridge. Great sound though some of the touch controls are janky. Usually the arm pulls up at the end of the side but doesn't return. If I hit the power button off and on at that point it completes its journey back to its post.
Sure it's got a lot of bells and whistles that can go wrong, and the back end of the micro controlled tonearm resembles a walker from StarWars, but this large, heavy and very well built turntable is a beautiful piece and fun to work with.

It has been recapped, but the soft touch controls would need to be replaced to get it fully up to snuff.

A cool feature for this Sony deck is that the controls are still accessible with the lid down.

It has a knob to adjust cartridge weight right out front. (Now this feature actually functions on my deck..of course I have to verify its accuracy with a digital scale, but anyway..) Nevertheless, it is very cool to be able to adjust the tracking force weight in small increments while a record is playing and hear the difference in sound.

_______
Using a Lounge Audio LCRMKIII MM Phono Preamp with the Marantz now. I really like the Marantz phono sound I was getting, but the Lounge sounds great in its own right. I'd say cleaner and more precise version of good sound.

* SYSTEM 4

I have a couple more components that will be put into service someday. A Pioneer SA 9500II integrated amp that needs a small repair and a Dual 1229 idler drive turntable that needs a rebuild.

With the Pioneer, I tried pushing oversized cabling and maybe even banana plugs into the push=down/insert-the-cable speaker inputs in back of the amplifier and bent them all up. Taking it apart to see if I could bend them straight again I broke the fine strand wire connections to the amp interior. Doh. Could just use it as is as a preamp for the time being. (I've got one last piece, a Parasound power amp stored under a bed at the moment. )

Sure, I suppose I could sell off all of this and put it towards a really dependable amazing modern high end system. But I'm thinking, I like tubes, I like solid state. I like hybrids. I know that if I just run one system I'll get bored of it over time, and it's great to be able to run music through a different system from time to time, keeps things fresh and favorites sounding interesting in new ways. At this point I've accumulated a bunch of old pieces to swap around and it keeps it all fun. The puttering around with how things are configured is a big part of the allure of this sport for me.

DIGITAL

Atop that Pioneer integrated amp is a Border Patrol DAC. I just got it a few days ago after researching DAC's for awhile now, and these were getting rave reviews. It definitely sounds more present and full than the Nuforce I was using prior. I know some folks consider burn in a psuedo effect, but I know I have noted the sound opening up after a few hours with the Border Patrol. I like Steve Gutenberg (the audiophiliac) 's reviews and he gives this DAC his thumbs up so I thought it worth a listen. And it's got a tube. It's still here a few weeks in so I guess I'm keeping it.
WOW shed!!!!

That's a first look for me. After all we've meant to each other.

Why did you hold out for so long?

I can tell you this-- If I link to these pix over at AudioKarma, you're going to have some brothers literally peeing their pants, and maybe running out into the street from the uncontrollable adrenalin rush. NICE vintage hi-fi gear.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Thanks Gregg, wow yourself. I have to admit I get quite a bit of enjoyment from these toys. And thanks for reposting all 40 photos again. ha!

I just checked audiokarma out and found I had actually already joined their forum, back in 2009. I asked a couple questions and that was that, never introduced myself.
I think I will do just that per your behest right now.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:32 pm

Coolio shed. I am there under "RhythmGJ."

Lots of cool folks into music and collecting, and of course a lot of vintage hi fi gear guys. Your rig would turn some serious heads, but also, be aware-- "audiophiles" lurk about and sometimes present a less than favorable face to the community. They are a minority, but if you want some tips and where to post to meet the good dudes, let me know. It's a great place, and where I'm spending the majority of my on-line music/listening/collecting/audio time these days. BUT, we have been spoiled here at TapeOp, where basically _everybody_ is cool, and the troll(s) where kicked-out or abandoned ship years ago. There are a few forums that are a little more dicey over there and maybe more geared towards the $20,000 audio cable crowd. Just a heads-up; still a great hang, just like this one!

GJ
Gregg Juke

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:16 am

shedshrine wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:39 pm

"Shedshrine" was what I called my sheetrock, insulation and packing tape room-within-a-room recording structure I built in my tiny apartment while living in Japan.
Nice story and nice gear. Your Denon TT is the same one as my buddy lost in a house fire (of which we spoke previously). He had the SME arm and some kind of Ortofon. Personally, I have never been able to hear much difference between high end turntables and middle of the road - say $200 to $500 used - ones. Seems to me there is always a bit more rumble with the cheapies but I think the cartridge yields the most improvement for $. Now, how come no reel to reels? (They're my weakness).
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:33 am

I want to set up a R2R at my home for use with my stereo rig, and I have a handful of choices of unused machines at the studio. But............ I find it very difficult to locate reasonably-priced decent copies of commercial recordings on reel (usually 7-inch). It isn't worth it these days to tape a bunch of albums or mixes onto reel, and I need something to play to make it worth the bother to set it all up.

Where do you (home hi-fi) tape guys get tape, without breaking the bank? $350 for a common Beatles or S&G record is not my idea of a worthwhile purchase.

GJ
Gregg Juke