K&M stands?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

K&M stands?

Post by joninc » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:16 pm

So I splurged and bought some K&M boom stands a few years ago and ironically they are always falling down on me - they can't seem to stay up, even with very light SDC mics!

What's the deal? Did I buy the "bad model"? I need to get a few better ones as this is actually becoming an annoying problem...

What do you use? Best quality vs price boom stands? Looking for a few recommendations...

Maybe it's worth replacing the boom arm clasp part with something better - but the K&M ones I've seen start at $50...
the new rules : there are no rules

losthighway
resurrected

Re: K&M stands?

Post by losthighway » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:07 am

That sucks. I've had problems with a number of garden variety boom stands over the years, I can start to see why people go insane and buy an ultra-fancy Latch Lake, cause it will always, exactly work.

I recently picked up a K&M Extra Tall boom. Granted we haven't seen how it's aged, but I'm totally amazed at the quality for the price. It weighs an extra 10 pounds or so, purely for stability and can reach those tricky places- tube mic up high over the center of the kit etc.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:32 pm

I use cheap stands.

Sometimes, for safety, I've been known to tie the mic and mount to the stand with a kerchief.

It won't necessarily help if the whole thing falls over, or even if just the arm falls, but it might.

I've been known to gaffer-tape the arm-linkage, also. And consider adding new washers to that, if possible. Hose-gaskets can help in an emergency.

If the whole thing is tipping - you probably know this but in case you forgot - wight-lifting plates or sandbags and the like can be put on the base.

In fact, in some cases you can counter-weight the arm.

I know that doesn't address the K&M Stands issue itself, but rather I intend that might help you make up for what you actually have to deal with at this point.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:23 pm

I have One huge heavy stand for my expensive mics. A Stage Stands one with huge base with wheels.

The only other ones I could recommend are the ones Terry Manning's company makes, Latch Lake. They are really well made.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:41 pm

Nick, are you referring to the On-Stage Stands SB96? I've been on the fence about that one vs the similar ones like Ultimate Support mc-125, Atlas sb-36, and the K&M Overhead. I'd like a pair of the Atlas or K&M, but money. Disappointing to hear joninc's experience with K&M.
The local music store carries a lot of the OSS stuff, so I have some more or less by default. It's fine for amps and snares etc, though their telescope booms are kind of iffy. The few K&M I have, I like.
Village Idiot.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:05 pm

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:48 pm

floid wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:41 pm
Nick, are you referring to the On-Stage Stands SB96? I've been on the fence about that one vs the similar ones like Ultimate Support mc-125, Atlas sb-36, and the K&M Overhead. I'd like a pair of the Atlas or K&M, but money. Disappointing to hear joninc's experience with K&M.
The local music store carries a lot of the OSS stuff, so I have some more or less by default. It's fine for amps and snares etc, though their telescope booms are kind of iffy. The few K&M I have, I like.
I am not sure the model number of the On Stage stand I have, I bought it over ten years ago. It is really good, and has really good knobs and hardware that keeps it perfectly in place. I've hung two U47s from the one stand a few times, with no issues at all.

It is this one, based on the pictures:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -mic-stand
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:00 pm

I have the same stand Nick does, I like it. Never had issues with it sagging or falling down etc. I've had it for probably 8 years, it's help up pretty well. I did have to replace some small part on it, but from what I remember replacement parts are cheap and easy to come by.

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:09 am

Sandbags or weights from a gym. The other way would be to look out for vintage mic stands from the 60s or 50s that are veeery heavy and can be had for cheap (or in exchange for a shiny new stand) from schools, city halls, ballrooms, you get the idea.
Due to luck and circumstances i am offering a limited run of Beyerdynamic M380 clones with unused Beyer capsules. PM me for info.

Jeff Roberts
studio intern

Post by Jeff Roberts » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:27 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:23 pm
I have One huge heavy stand for my expensive mics. A Stage Stands one with huge base with wheels.

The only other ones I could recommend are the ones Terry Manning's company makes, Latch Lake. They are really well made.
Sorry to intrude on this K&M thread, but I wish correct a bit of misinformation here. Terry Manning owns Lucas Engineering. Latch Lake was honored to make parts for the Lucas Engineering microphones, the CS-1 and the CS-4.

Latch Lake is a vendor for Lucas Engineering, not a subsidiary or sister company. I consider Terry a friend as well as a customer, but he has no ownership interest in Latch Lake.

Latch Lake is still 100% owned by yours truly, the company founder.

And getting back on topic, I think K&M makes the best lightweight, folding stands.
Jeff Roberts
Latch Lake Music
Eagan, MN
LatchLakeMusic.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:38 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:48 pm
floid wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:41 pm
I am not sure the model number of the On Stage stand I have, I bought it over ten years ago. It is really good, and has really good knobs and hardware that keeps it perfectly in place. I've hung two U47s from the one stand a few times, with no issues at all.

It is this one, based on the pictures:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -mic-stand
I have a pair of those as well, and they really are great. They're no Latch Lake, but still very solid and useful stands.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:55 am

vvv wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:32 pm
I've been known to tie the mic and mount to the stand with a kerchief.
Are we talking, like, Stevie Nicks or Steven Tyler?

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:50 pm

For non "monster" stands the Tama ones are the best. Just found them recently and replaced a bunch of my old booms. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... gJiofD_BwE
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:12 pm

Magnetic Services wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:55 am
vvv wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:32 pm
I've been known to tie the mic and mount to the stand with a kerchief.
Are we talking, like, Stevie Nicks or Steven Tyler?
It would be Jagger, were it for prettiness.

I also recall using a kerchief, and then wrapping gaffer tape on top to keep the glue off the mic ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:32 pm

I've got 3 of the Ultimate MC-125. At least 2 of them have some wonky parts. the plastic tension cams strip out easily. I don't even use mine that often - a lot of the time they stay in one place (drum room mics). I also have a couple of the K&M and have not had any trouble with them. The DR Pro's (from GC) have held up pretty well for me too. Anything below $50 is pretty much shit, as expected...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com