Beyer Dynamic M 81 any experience?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Beyer Dynamic M 81 any experience?

Post by nestle » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:12 pm

just snagged a set of Beyer dymanic M81's (the M818 set) at a stoop sale this last weekend, anybody have any experience with these things?
I'm assuming they were for a tape recorders in the 60's, they are like little 421's and very heavy and chunky. At first I had buyers regret, what do I need more cheaper dynamics for? Then I tried em' A B ing it with a 57 on a loud tele and was astonished how much I was liking the thick chunky sound (won the shoot out), not modern and bright. TAmed the twang just right. It could take level too, alot like a 421 just a little darker. Might be great on toms, I dunno. Anybody have any info or experience?
BTW, 140 bucks for the set in the original case dead mint, not a great deal but I'm liking them more and more so I think the price was OK for some real German action.[/i]

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:40 pm

jeeeez, nobody??

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:17 am

i think inverse has a pair... ahem!

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:22 pm

You know...if those are what I'm thinking of, I've seen those pop up on Ebay and they always perk my interest. Aside from digging Beyer mics in general, I'm a sucker for weird, old character mics (Uher, Telfunken, Wollensak, etc).

Might have bid on the next Beyer 81s that I run across.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:00 pm

Sold 'em! But they're cool. There was nothing wrong with them, I just wanted some other gear. I used them to mic little amps a few times...I never used them for actual stereo recording. They make an interesting sub for a 57, esp. if you're layering a couple of geetar tracks and want different-sounding sources.

I bought them, basically, because they're cool looking.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:07 pm

yeah, I've used them for a few things now and these mics are pretty damn cool, pretty overlooked beyer model. Sounded very nice on a horn group in stereo, and a very cool loud rock guitar mic..better than alot of other modern dynamics, it can really take alot of level, also nice n' thick on floor tom.

what did you get for them when you sold em', just curious...not in the mood to part with them yet-

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:21 am

I think I sold them for the same price I bought them for, maybe $125?

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:57 pm

Sorry to dig up an old post, I've got a pair of these too - the 818 set - cheap on ebay, but without the stands / clips. Been using them alot recently, loving them on guitar, and even hanging down the back of my recently acquired (and still not properly tuned) upright piano.

But the more I use them, the more I want to try them on drums, and for that I'm gonna need some clips. Any recommendations for a) somewhere to find OG clips or b) suitable replacements ?

thought about get some generic 'sprung' clips, but wondered if the slippery little M81s might spring right out of 'em :D

Any of you folks still using them?

Mudcloth
steve albini likes it

Post by Mudcloth » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:36 pm

I've had pretty good luck using the dreaded spring clips. I just now thought of this, though. Maybe you could try cutting some strips off of one of those rubber jar opener thingies and wrap it around the mic before using the spring clips.

As an aside, I was told that Norelco made the bodies for these mics, which is why they look like those old electric shavers. Really.

I was going through my mics thinking I was going to thin the herd. When I got to these I just couldn't pull the trigger, they're just so cool looking. The do well on toms, btw.
Matt Giles
Austin, Tx

http://www.mattguitargiles.com
http://www.myspace.com/mattguitargiles
http://www.thedrakesband.com/

How much is a stamp? I'll buy the goddamn stamp.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:31 pm

I've almost picked up a pair of those 100 times. The built in cords seem a little off putting to me though. Love, love, love Beyerdynamic.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:11 pm

They look kind of like a senhiesser 411. Which is an all time favorite of mine on snare and guitars.

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:45 am

Mudcloth wrote:I've had pretty good luck using the dreaded spring clips. I just now thought of this, though. Maybe you could try cutting some strips off of one of those rubber jar opener thingies and wrap it around the mic before using the spring clips.

As an aside, I was told that Norelco made the bodies for these mics, which is why they look like those old electric shavers. Really.

I was going through my mics thinking I was going to thin the herd. When I got to these I just couldn't pull the trigger, they're just so cool looking. The do well on toms, btw.
Good thinking, spring clips and some rubberbands it is, cheers! ;)

Johnny Nowhere
audio school

Post by Johnny Nowhere » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:56 am

Damn it. I wish I'd gotten in on this one earlier. I copped a pair of these back in '96 while working at a music store. Some guy came in with them and I gave him $20. for the both and the plastic desk stands and the square clips. BeyerD built those things back in the 70s.

Here's the GOOD news: Those bad boys may have come wired with a TS plug, but if you unscrew that stupid little plastic barrel, you'll see THREE leads! That's right. I rewired mine with XLR connectors and preamped them and they came alive. They still have that full mid-range muscle, too. I keep one in front of my Blues Jr. Perfect amp mic.

I hope that you'll find this helpful!
Johnny Nowhere is soul proprietor of
Hell Paving Company, music publisher
and ASCAP member.

Magnetic Media Rules!

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:39 pm

I use a AT shock for a SDC on mine. Works ok, also can just jam it in a flex 58 style clip. Still positive on these mics. Mine came with neutrik XLRs connected, no problems. If your mic'ing a guitar amp it's sort of close to 121. Far better than a 57, no contest. These are very cool for the price. I'm not selling these, what could I get better for that price. Maybe an RE20, 421, I like those, but way more money.

notbillcosby
gettin' sounds

Re: Beyer Dynamic M 81 any experience?

Post by notbillcosby » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:30 am

Is anyone still following this thread? I just got a pair of these little guys and wondered how to open them up to wire in an XLR cable.