vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Re: vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Post by jimjazzdad » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:28 pm

7" reels were never as popular as LPs but there are lots of used, pre-recorded reels from the 70s...Craigslist, Kijiji, Ebay are all places I have purchased from. Generally, if you stay away from the late eighties and nineties when polyester tape with sticky shed syndrome emerged, used tapes are OK. 7 1/2 IPS is preferred to minimize tape hiss. I would love to be able to afford some of the new, $300+ 'master tapes' that are being released these days, but I content myself with mastering some of my digital recordings from DAW to tape. To my ears digital stuff mastered to 1/2 track tape at 15 ips sounds amazing. Just as some appreciate the 'sacrament' of playing an LP, I love spooling up a 10" reel. I also dig aligning tape decks but that's probably just perverse.
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:48 pm

Yeah, I have not been able to find used tapes (that I want) at reasonable prices. Lots of the equivalents of the ever-available Mantovani and Ray Conniff Singers LPs; Miles Davis not so much (and the ones I've seen have been insanely priced).

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:36 pm

Mastering to 1/2 inch tape .. that must be nice!

The only two track reel to reel I ever got was this early '90's flea market find. Experimented with it a bit until a motor blew (sticky Ampex tape didn't help iirc) and it's kind of become shelf art since I was more interested in keeping my Tascam 388 going..

..which I stocked up for when Quantegy was in the process of going out of business.

As for how moving magnet compares to moving coil, the Dynavector 10x4 is my first forray into m.c. cartridges. the comparison that pops into my head is a dynamic mic vs a condensor mic. With my setup I suppose the difference comes across kind of subtly. Maybe I'll try a fancier phono pre down the road. I remember when i first went from Mackie 1604 preamps to my first DIY build, a Hamptone JFET. The difference was not subtle. Everything that went through it became big and solid.

Neither here nor there, but I was in Japan when Sony was putting out an ES level (their highest fidelity grade with more "aura") consumer cassette deck demonstration for a model with Dolby "S". The demo was A/B ing it against a CD system. The Dolby S cassette system sounded really, really good. I don't know if they ever sold those here in the U.S. or elsewhere.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:50 am

..and the award for most bad ass take it or leave it jazz album cover goes to..

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat May 05, 2018 1:05 pm

More alternate album covers..

more more more

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon May 07, 2018 6:23 am

You really do have it bad, shed...

GJ
Gregg Juke

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue May 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 6:23 am
You really do have it bad, shed...GJ
No, but this is what it looks like. : )

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue May 08, 2018 10:08 pm

Still more alternate covers, or in this case for different editions..

Black version first pressing 1982, red reissue 1985

I don't own the censored version so I improvised here..
ImageImage

A&M put out a few 2x10" special editions of their big sellers in 1979.
Disappointingly they were not 45 rpm, just 33 rmp in 10" form spread over two discs.
But the Police Regatta de Blanc edition came with a poster, and the Joe Jackson Look sharp edition was a gatefold sleeve with a wearable "Look Sharp" pin displayed in a circular cutout on the cover.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu May 10, 2018 6:07 am

Nice! The Police set is on blue vinyl, yes? I think that's the one I've been looking for an available and affordable copy of for awhile.

Joe Jackson is a great pop artist, and I loved his Jumpin' Jive thing too. But I lost all respect for him when I heard him pull a Shatner on this poor kid trying to interview him back in the 90's. He sounded like a terrible human being,

GJ
Gregg Juke

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu May 17, 2018 3:17 pm

Ah well, maybe Joe was having a bad day.

It's funny how where the stuck together sides at the base of his gatefold there tore away to reveal white cardboard, it looks like piles of white powder on a counter. Just saying.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu May 17, 2018 8:10 pm

Oh, I thought that was a visual, physical manifestation of his cloudy mindedness, which makes him so vexed that it leads him to blast young radio interns just trying to help him promote his albums and tours...

GJ
Gregg Juke

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat May 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Alright Gregg, you got a link for this Joe Jackson vid?

Great News! PHotobucket is under new management or changed its business model or something, but the upshot is that all photos have been restored!
I was dreading the thought of sourcing and replacing all the images for the Tascam 388, 238, Deltalabs Effectron, Minidisc tribute, Frank Black Charles Thompson tribute threads etc etc.. I'm sure I never would have completed all that.

Got the Robyn Hitchcock/I want to go Backwards boxset online from his Yep Roc site. I have some of the stuff included therein, but I didn't have his first solo album (BLack Snake Diamod Role) and Eye and Trains have been remastered for this, and there's several albums of outtakes .and there's an autographed poster so..
Re: autogrxaphs. They're fun to have, but I've never gone out of my way for them. I have a signed cd from a small gig Linda Perry did touring for her In Flight album, and I found an Annie Ross signature on the back of a Lambert, Hendricks and Ross album that looked legit.

X: Los Angeles. A friend from work insisted we split the cost for a copy of the remastered reissue in exchange for a burn of it.
Great sound and the thick high gloss cover is really nice as well.

Beyond that...
What can I say, the used "new arrivals" bins have been awesome lately.

Killing Joke/self titled: Remastered 2xlp with the original album on black vinyl and a second lp with alternate takes and an unreleased session track on white vinyl.

Wire/Pink Flag: Took me a few listens and a good read of the lyrics to make out the rapid fire lyrics.
Ancestry.com says I'm over 80% UK in origin, so I should work on my mother tongue.

Slint/SPiderland: You really have to turn it up to hear clearly the ongoing monologues of dread. I suppose that's by design.

New York Dolls: Designed to shock messy blues rock in drag.

Throbbing Gristle: ............!?!

Norin: very nice minimal ambient electronic album.

Last edited by shedshrine on Mon May 28, 2018 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat May 19, 2018 9:50 pm

No, sorry shed. That was a personal experience. I heard it back in the late 80's/early 90's in Colorado. The Shatner thing is on YouTube (or it used to be), but the Jackson thing was worse. I've done a few tough ones myself, but only _one_ of mine beat this poor kid's nadir, it was the time I (tried in vain) to interview Jaco Pastorious. Rough...

GJ
Gregg Juke

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun May 20, 2018 9:59 am

Wow, I bet Jaco could be a handful especially towards the end of his life. Great that you got to meet him though.

Great vinyl mastering article:
What Artists Get Wrong With Their Vinyl Releases- A Conversation with Masterdisk’s Scott Hull

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue May 22, 2018 3:45 am

Phone interview. Wish I still had that tape!

GJ
Gregg Juke