Jack White Live

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Jack White Live

Post by kslight » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:27 pm

Saw Jack White live last night...my first time seeing him perform (always sells out right away). I'm personally a big fan of his body of work, but damn what a great *mix* of the show. Probably up there in terms of best mixed rock show I've ever heard. Of course it helped that it was at an amphitheatre instead of an arena...but I was told by another Third Man Records artist that he brought his studio engineer (Joshua Smith) on tour with him. It was so weird being able to understand vocals completely without feedback issues (only heard one quick blip of vocal mic feedback the whole show), have them up front as they rightfully should be (IMHO) with most types of music..but without sacrifice to any other elements (guitar, bass, drums, two keyboard players). The drums sounded especially great, had no trouble hearing his guitar either... And the overall volume of the show wasn't overwhelming either. I wear molded earplugs to basically every show...but was not necessary with this one. My only complaint was...who decided to have an outdoor show in Kansas in April....was really chilly with the wind and it threatened to rain several times (thankfully did not). :evil:

Also much respect for an artist that doesn't gouge their fans on the merchandise...$25 LPs, $30 shirts...all pretty fair compared to 95% of bands at this level. :worthy:

This was the first show I’ve attended that required people lock their phones in a Yondr pouch...or in my case i just left my phone in my car. And damn if it wasn’t awesome. Everything should be like this...movies, concerts... It was brilliant to be able to watch a show without seeing everyone take shitty photos/videos the entire time. I heard some people bellyaching about it...”what if I get an EMERGENCY call” or “what if my babysitter needs something.” Well shit what would you have done 20 years ago? Stand next to a pay phone the whole time at a concert? Fuck no you wouldn’t. And I know for a fact the real reason you want your phone is so you can dick around on your pacifier every two minutes.

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Re: Jack White Live

Post by jimjazzdad » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:42 am

kslight wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:27 pm
...This was the first show I’ve attended that required people lock their phones in a Yondr pouch...or in my case i just left my phone in my car. And damn if it wasn’t awesome. Everything should be like this...movies, concerts... It was brilliant to be able to watch a show without seeing everyone take shitty photos/videos the entire time. I heard some people bellyaching about it...”what if I get an EMERGENCY call” or “what if my babysitter needs something.” Well shit what would you have done 20 years ago? Stand next to a pay phone the whole time at a concert? Fuck no you wouldn’t. And I know for a fact the real reason you want your phone is so you can dick around on your pacifier every two minutes.
This is a very positive step. I had not heard of Yondr before - cool. Glad that you were really able to enjoy the concert. The tapers won't be happy though. Come to think of it, maybe they will just use the cell phone as a decoy and spirit in their MixPre 3s in a money belt...
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:45 am

the yondr thing sounds cool. couple questions, does the venue provide them? what do they do if people try and steal them? just trying to see how it works. would love to hear all about it. what a great concept.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:25 am

I've been to a couple live shows recently where the singer basically had to beg the crowd to get off their phones for just one song. Say what you want about luddite-ism, but yeah.
Just got BHR last night. Great stuff.
Village Idiot.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:19 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:45 am
the yondr thing sounds cool. couple questions, does the venue provide them? what do they do if people try and steal them? just trying to see how it works. would love to hear all about it. what a great concept.
Yeah it’s basically like a neoprene pouch with a strong magnet/security lock. They had boxes upon boxes of them, you don’t pay for them directly but I’m assuming that the venue does as part of Jack white’s rider. If you are familiar with the locks they put on clothes that have to be removed by the cashier...basically the same thing. At the end of the show they have people waiting to unlock them for you, and they had a station near the entrance you could use to access your phone if you really had said emergency.

But I left my phone in my car because 3000 people all lining up to unlock their phones at the end of the show sounded like a train wreck to me, so i cannot comment on how painless that process was. I suppose you probably could steal them if you wanted but not sure why you would want to. They are pretty big and bulky, not pocket size, so not sure if they are told to watch out for theft or not. You would probably have to destroy it to get your phone out if you chose to keep it.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:05 am

kslight wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:19 am
markjazzbassist wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:45 am
Yeah it’s basically like a neoprene pouch with a strong magnet/security lock. They had boxes upon boxes of them, you don’t pay for them directly but I’m assuming that the venue does as part of Jack white’s rider. If you are familiar with the locks they put on clothes that have to be removed by the cashier...basically the same thing. At the end of the show they have people waiting to unlock them for you, and they had a station near the entrance you could use to access your phone if you really had said emergency.

But I left my phone in my car because 3000 people all lining up to unlock their phones at the end of the show sounded like a train wreck to me, so i cannot comment on how painless that process was. I suppose you probably could steal them if you wanted but not sure why you would want to. They are pretty big and bulky, not pocket size, so not sure if they are told to watch out for theft or not. You would probably have to destroy it to get your phone out if you chose to keep it.
fascinating. great idea, i hope all/most bands do this.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:23 am

FWIW, we should be talking about the album he's touring on, also; quite a story re the use of 4-tracks, etc.

But a question re the live show: does he use an octave pedal on every song? (Seems like his best solos have them, anyway! :twisted: )
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:37 am

vvv wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:23 am
FWIW, we should be talking about the album he's touring on, also; quite a story re the use of 4-tracks, etc.

But a question re the live show: does he use an octave pedal on every song? (Seems like his best solos have them, anyway! :twisted: )
please expound on the bold/underlined part, i'm not a jack white fan so i have no idea. i am a fan of analog recording though so would love to hear it.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:43 pm

vvv wrote:

I love the album. Probably my favorite of his solo albums. It definitely goes to space a bit which i like that it challenges you.

It wouldn’t be Jack White without whammy. Not sure about EVERY song....but...yes it was present.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:47 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:37 am
vvv wrote:

please expound on the bold/underlined part, i'm not a jack white fan so i have no idea. i am a fan of analog recording though so would love to hear it.
Apparently he wished to recreate his original bedroom writing setup (as a teenager? Not sure) so he rented out an apartment and put a 4 track 1/4” reel to reel, guitar, mic, and drum machine in there and that’s how he wrote it. But after he was done they dumped it to (gasp) Pro Tools to get the rest of the production, which he is traditionally adverse to.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:00 pm

hmm as a fellow 1/4" 4 tracker i will have to check it out.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:11 pm

It does have a bit of a different sound, production-wise.

I've not really sat down with it to study, but it sure made cooking dinner a bunch of fun the other day!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:16 am

Good to hear Jack is still playing with tape. Reminds me of the story of Springsteen creating Nebraska.
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:56 pm

Jack is a great guy, and he cares about all this music stuff a lot. I've really enjoyed all the bands he's been in and have seem them all live, and never been unhappy about that!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com