How high do you like your overheads (and why)?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Re: How high do you like your overheads (and why)?

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon May 07, 2018 11:02 am

moderately stoned :high:

Cirrus
audio school

Post by Cirrus » Wed May 09, 2018 3:10 am

If they're overhead at all, I tend to prefer them not too high - maybe just below the height of my chin when I'm standing up so only really just high enough to avoid being in the phasey edge-wash of any of the cymbals and in some kind of ORTF (though usually not pointing as far apart as ORTF, I do it by ear). Usually they're basically over the right edge of the kick drum/ Ride cymbal looking across to the snare to keep that centered.

I tend to prefer that for the wide stereo and being close enough to get some real detail and punch. If I pull them higher or further back it'd be for more room tone, but I've got room mics for that...

That said, I'm more likely to not have "overheads" but rather have one mic maybe 50cm in front of the kit's rack tom, and the other round on the floor tom side just a bit higher than the rim and positioned so the snare sounds central. So they're hearing the cymbals from underneath, emphasizing the shells over the brass, and again giving quite a close tight sound to contrast with the room mics.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed May 09, 2018 9:37 am

Cirrus wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:10 am
If they're overhead at all, I tend to prefer them not too high - maybe just below the height of my chin when I'm standing up so only really just high enough to avoid being in the phasey edge-wash of any of the cymbals and in some kind of ORTF (though usually not pointing as far apart as ORTF, I do it by ear). Usually they're basically over the right edge of the kick drum/ Ride cymbal looking across to the snare to keep that centered.

I tend to prefer that for the wide stereo and being close enough to get some real detail and punch. If I pull them higher or further back it'd be for more room tone, but I've got room mics for that...

That said, I'm more likely to not have "overheads" but rather have one mic maybe 50cm in front of the kit's rack tom, and the other round on the floor tom side just a bit higher than the rim and positioned so the snare sounds central. So they're hearing the cymbals from underneath, emphasizing the shells over the brass, and again giving quite a close tight sound to contrast with the room mics.
I'd like to see a photo of that.

Cirrus
audio school

Post by Cirrus » Wed May 09, 2018 2:23 pm

Sure, this is the nearest I can find to being able to see both mics and the kit;

From memory, I think both mic stands got moved in about 15cm from what you can see there. The front at4050 ended up slightly lower because the edge-wash from the snare-side crash was a bit phasey where it was. You can see the Floor Tom-side at4050 between the top of the ride and bottom of the far crash. Ignore the SM57, it was just spectating! :lol:

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed May 09, 2018 6:14 pm

Cirrus wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:23 pm
You can see the Floor Tom-side at4050 between the top of the ride and bottom of the far crash.
Do you love your 4050? They were getting a lot of hype around here a while back and they've really become accessible on the used market.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu May 10, 2018 12:26 am

losthighway wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:14 pm
Cirrus wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:23 pm
You can see the Floor Tom-side at4050 between the top of the ride and bottom of the far crash.
Do you love your 4050? They were getting a lot of hype around here a while back and they've really become accessible on the used market.
They are great mics.

Cirrus
audio school

Post by Cirrus » Thu May 10, 2018 2:14 am

Yes, I do like the 4050s, very good mics for surprisingly cheap second hand prices.

There are times when I prefer them to 414s.

On the other hand, they're not perfect - I think they tend to emphasise low mid resonances (not great for some acoustic guitars), and they're definitely light across the upper midrange/ low treble (maybe 3-5k, if I had to guess...) so they have a slightly relaxed sound that doesn't get in your face; I usually end up bumping that with eq on drums.

I love them on guitar+bass cabs.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu May 10, 2018 6:02 am

How about those 57's, Tony? Looking good, aye?
(ducks and runs for nearest cover and concealment)

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu May 10, 2018 6:25 am

Gregg Juke wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:02 am
"Well if you got a nail stickin' out of your molding you can use it to hammer it in!" yuck yuck yuck

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu May 10, 2018 9:16 am

^^^^ That was too good natured. I want vitriol. Tony??? :twisted:

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu May 10, 2018 1:19 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:02 am
"Well if you got a nail stickin' out of your molding you can use it to hammer it in!" yuck yuck yuck
[/quote]

Throws my broken 57 at you.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:42 am
MY MAN!

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Sat May 12, 2018 7:03 pm

Eight Miles High.

I kid. Generally pretty low; just high enough to capture an even picture of the kit and not get hit by sticks. Then I throw up some room mics for that roomy flava. I'd only put them higher up if I needed to get the kit/room balance solely from the overheads, and even then I'd probably first try switching to Mid/Side or a spaced pair of omnis.

But hey, this is the TOMB. Challenge accepted! Next session I'll put them higher than I think is smart :mrpink:

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon May 14, 2018 7:04 am

I don't go any lower that 32" above the snare.
I usually am doing a sort of modified Glyn Johns with a Stereo Royer overhead and a "Front" microphone that are both measured from the center of the snare out in front of the kick angled down a little. Probably end up using 36" more than any but if I want it roomy-er I just increase that distance.