Mics that sound like a U67..

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joemisto
audio school

Mics that sound like a U67..

Post by joemisto » Sat May 12, 2018 11:06 am

Hello!

This might not even be a worthwhile question... but I recently had an opportunity to record bass, guitar, and vocals with an original U67. Did all the tracking in figure 8 and was really happy with the sound. Kept the mic about 2 feet back from the amps, and few inches away for vox (with pop filter). Bass especially sounded just like it did in the room in a very pleasing way.. and the frequency response (esp. proximity effect) worked well with my voice.

I'm wondering for people who have used original 67s, if there are other mics that you think sound similar? I know there are clones.. but really anything that gets close to the sound. I'm also mostly interested in the figure 8 pattern so alternatively if there are mics that have a really nice figure 8 sound i'd love to hear your experience with them.

Thanks so much for the help. first time posting :)

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Mics that sound like a U67..

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon May 14, 2018 6:01 am

I used one of the Advanced Audio 67 clones on a project a few years back. It was mostly stuck on grand piano duties but it did a great job and sounded beautiful. The build quality was decent but was more of the top shelf off shore variety than classy German manufacture.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Mon May 14, 2018 10:56 am

As long as you use the same mic placement, preamp, and signal chain, I think you could get away with any high-quality tube-powered multi-pattern large-diaphragm condenser. The Blue Bottle with the right capsule could give you "that sound" plus way more options for the future.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon May 14, 2018 11:01 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:01 am
I used one of the Advanced Audio 67 clones on a project a few years back. It was mostly stuck on grand piano duties but it did a great job and sounded beautiful. The build quality was decent but was more of the top shelf off shore variety than classy German manufacture.
I just review this mic for the magazine. Its a lovely sounding mic, for sure.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon May 14, 2018 11:51 am

when Joel sold me his GT MD1a, he said it was his "67 mic for years" (paraphrased). I've only used it on vocals and FOK so far. For the latter, it wasn't my thing until I eq'd it a lot, but it was a location recording in a just OK sounding room. On vocals it's pretty damn nice though. First LDC I've used where I didn't immediately reach for a d:esser afterwards. Very smooth up top. Might be worth looking into.

I can't compare it to a U67 really because I've only used a pair one time as overheads (they ruled, duh).
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon May 14, 2018 8:11 pm

This is old news to many, but man, when you use a really good vintage U 67 it's so good. I've never heard anything new that comes close, yet. Sorta. Kinda. But not "that". Sorry.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon May 14, 2018 8:28 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:51 am
when Joel sold me his GT MD1a, he said it was his "67 mic for years" (paraphrased). I've only used it on vocals and FOK so far. For the latter, it wasn't my thing until I eq'd it a lot, but it was a location recording in a just OK sounding room. On vocals it's pretty damn nice though. First LDC I've used where I didn't immediately reach for a d:esser afterwards. Very smooth up top. Might be worth looking into.

I can't compare it to a U67 really because I've only used a pair one time as overheads (they ruled, duh).
Yeah, non U67 user here, but also proud MD1a owner. Great mic on vocals. It pretty much always works in front of a dude. It's got enough richness for people to lean in and croon, but it has a subtle driven euphonic thing when people rock out loud. Not really distortion, just like an added subtle saturation that really compliments a performance.

Also works effectively as an overhead if you don't want quite as much cymbal treble as some other mics.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon May 14, 2018 9:36 pm

The MD1A is not a large diaphragm. It's actually an electret capsule. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I used to have one & got some good results with it.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed May 16, 2018 4:15 pm

Apparently the Soundelux U99 is supposed to be based on the U67 - i have one here and it's quite nice.
the new rules : there are no rules

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 16, 2018 4:52 pm

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:36 pm
The MD1A is not a large diaphragm. It's actually an electret capsule. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I used to have one & got some good results with it.
What do you base that info on?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu May 17, 2018 11:25 am

Somewhere I have the schematics for the MD1A. I think it used a Primo capsule--definitely cardioid electret. The MD3 definitely was LDC, and possibly the MD2 as well.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu May 17, 2018 4:16 pm

My M1b:
ImageGT M1b_1 by mike lake, on Flickr
ImageGT M1b_2 by mike lake, on Flickr

Diaphragm measures about .9".
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu May 17, 2018 4:24 pm

Not totally sure, but I think the md1'B' has significant differences from the 'A' model.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu May 17, 2018 4:56 pm

That bears little resemblance to the MD1a. Different capsule, different pcb's. If I can dig up photos of the MD1A I'll try to post them.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Fri May 18, 2018 8:47 pm

This is the inside of an MD1A: Image