Aiight, let's talk broken shite, and other outstanding work

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Aiight, let's talk broken shite, and other outstanding work

Post by vvv » Fri May 25, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm looking at my rack, not as big as, say, Stormy's, but 25 levels, mebbe 28 pieces there.

And in there I have a broke Microcab (switches are sticking), and a Altec 1689b what I think just needs a fixed patch cord to the bay, and a miswired attenuator, and one bad patch point outta two bays.

I need a new ground plug on my 160xt.

Then, I also have a RNLA and a MS1b to wire in somewhere.

I have a cap to change on a Pork Loin pedal.

Then, I have a Brutalist, Jr. pedal to build, and about 2-3 guitar cords and another 2-3 mic cords to fix ...

Then I have about 8 guitars/basses left to polish.

That's my inventory.

Yers?
Last edited by vvv on Fri May 25, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Aiight, let's talk broken shite

Post by drumsound » Fri May 25, 2018 12:07 pm

The position knob on my Joe Meek is broken, but I can still turn it. 2 Eventides need work, and the VU lights on my VLA have been gone for years.

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Aiight, let's talk broken shite, and other outstanding work

Post by vvv » Fri May 25, 2018 12:08 pm

Oh yep, my 1176 clone's VU is out, and I have a broken gain knob (just the plastic knob) on my VC3Q (broke when I dropped a monitor over on it and that Microcab) - thanks for aminding me!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri May 25, 2018 1:34 pm

My glorious ‘fenler’ bassman is very sick and needs at least a transformer. Probably not gonna fix it anytime soon.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri May 25, 2018 2:27 pm

I have an SWR bass head that supposedly blows fuses left at my place by someone who couldn't be bothered.

It's worth more sold then stored, but paying to repair something which might only sell on Ebay/reverb for a couple hundred bucks is a gamble. So it sits.

I've got 2-3 channels that shorted out on my xlr wall plate in the live room. I've been working around them for so long I forget to take out the soldering iron. Oughta do that one of these days.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri May 25, 2018 2:43 pm

moog mg-1 synth, all the A keys don't work. i've replaced the top octave generator, 3 octave chips, and numerous other IC/Capacitor/resistors to no avail. on monday when i get some time i'm gonna list it on ebay/reverb. just need it gone.

i have a vintage EHX small stone pedal, was working great and crapped out on me, battery clip got severed, i'm hoping that's the issue (even though i'm using a power adapter) :???:

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat May 26, 2018 8:24 am

I’ve tried very hard for the last 5 or 6 years to fix or purge broken shit once every year or so. If it been sitting on a shelf for a year and a half it’s unlikely that I’ll ever fix it. Or, I’ll have a prosperous spell and use the rare surplus of cash to fix the things that haven’t purged and can’t fix myself.
The last few months have been one of those times. I just got my reslo ribbon restored and modded after it languished in the junk drawer for 5 or six years. I also sent my classical guitar of to have the bridge reattached after a few years of it sitting in the case.

For the stuff that gets purged, it’s amazing what you can sell as is. Or if it’s unsellable I’ll pass it on to someone else and it’ll sit on their shelf for a few years. Circle of life.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat May 26, 2018 8:12 pm

losthighway wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:27 pm
I have an SWR bass head that supposedly blows fuses left at my place by someone who couldn't be bothered.

It's worth more sold then stored, but paying to repair something which might only sell on Ebay/reverb for a couple hundred bucks is a gamble. So it sits.

I've got 2-3 channels that shorted out on my xlr wall plate in the live room. I've been working around them for so long I forget to take out the soldering iron. Oughta do that one of these days.
That reminds me, My SWR was brought to a repair shop years ago...

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Sat May 26, 2018 9:51 pm

To do:
-Get new mini-knobs for the FMR RNP i bought cheap because the knobs were missing (but eh... pliers work fine)
-Put new lights in the VU meters on my Ramsa board
-Re-calibrate room/monitors
-finish building studio :oops:

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon May 28, 2018 4:48 pm

Aiight, fixt the Microcab ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue May 29, 2018 8:32 am

vvv wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:05 pm
Then, I have a Brutalist, Jr. pedal to build
Just got 2 of Kurt's PCB cards and the parts to build one. Stoked to build it.

Far as broken stuff... hmmmm. My Hamptone had one channel down forever, but that just got fixed.

Things I have to get to....

- figure out what's happening with one of my Daking FET II's. I suspect it's a simple switch cleaning job, specifically the output control. At least I hope
so. Works, but I've noticed I have to work the pot a bit here and there.
- JMP 2204 needs a new power cable. Works, but it's on its way out and I think the ground pin isn't making full contact.
- Figure out why my 2x15 Electric cab isn't working. (any tips on how to test out a speaker that you suspect is shot are welcome)
- Send in my JHS Warble Tron vibrato. My entire pedal board took a beer bath at a show, and that was the only one that got fucked.
- send my busted Carbon Copy to MXR, again :roll:
- Ampeg Reverberocket is at the shop getting a big overhaul.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue May 29, 2018 3:30 pm

Aiight, I fixed my Altec 1589b.

OK, I'll be honest, it was just that the XLR line in wasn't hooked up to the stagebox/snake I use (great idea, someone here) as an XLR patchbay. Still, hadda use a flash light and crawl around the rack to track that puppy down ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue May 29, 2018 3:33 pm

While I'm at it, anyone have idears for how to make a scratch guard-mounted front jack on a guitar more stable?

I have a Chinee offset where the jack is like on the Jazzmaster it copies, and there's lotsa flex, and sometimes bad contact.

I've not taken it apart yet as I was only using it for sitting and recording, but I brought it to a jam Saturday and was embarrassed.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Wed May 30, 2018 6:48 am

Oh man, I have a vintage gear problem and I have to restore all that stuff myself, so too much to mention. Don't get me started.....
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed May 30, 2018 7:38 am

vvv wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:30 pm
Aiight, I fixed my Altec 1589b.

OK, I'll be honest, it was just that the XLR line in wasn't hooked up to the stagebox/snake I use (great idea, someone here) as an XLR patchbay. Still, hadda use a flash light and crawl around the rack to track that puppy down ...
What do you like that thing on? I have one but it doesn’t get much use beyond the occasional punk rock snare drum track. It’s developed a bit of a hum but I haven’t done much about it because it doesn’t get much use. The lack of an output volume knob is a pain as well. I end up using my 1612b pre/limiter more often even without the limiter engaged because it’s got in and out volume controls.
Anyway, Without derailing the tread I’m curious what people use the 1589 on. Inspire me.