Moderators: drumsound, tomb

floid
buyin' a studio

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by floid » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:30 am

vvv wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:52 pm
I've that Shure but the version w/out the meter
The m68 has the same transformers but a different circuit. Not too different from what's in the EHX LPB-1 as I recall.

Just got a Guyatone amp head. It's a clone of a Fender. I'm in love.
Village Idiot.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:06 am

vvv wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:52 pm
I've that Shure but the version w/out the meter - what meter is half the fun. It's OK but I have other stuff - the Rane MS1B, for example, is similar (1 input) but better, IMNSFHO.

What I wanted to say, for fuzzy pre that's cheap - Studio Projects VTB1.

It was my second pre (I still use my first, Meek VC3Q for a parallel bass DI).

It's fully usable as any other cheap pre, but gained up as a fuzzed pre or a bass DI - it just sounds great. And probably around US$100 or less ...

FWIW, my go to wooly-bully is a Altec 1589b, follered by a racked PM1000. Somewhat cheaper then them but above the VTB1 but also usable (and with kinda quirky but flexible pre-sets that work like EQ) is the ART TPS 1 (two channels, it's my go-to stereo keys DI) ...
cool maybe i will check out that transistor altec, thanks man.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:11 am

losthighway wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:40 am
Just picked up a used Blackout Effectors FIx'd Fuzz Deluxe. I kind of needed a 'swiss army fuzz' and that box can do pretty much the entire history of fuzz tones, and all of them well. Smooth and groovy to nasal and spitty. I like using fuzz to make a 3rd guitar part in overdubs sit in a totally different place, more like a synth or a horn than the bigger or jangly guitars.
Yes! So versatile. This thing achieves any fuzz tone I ever need, and I don't even have the deluxe. I don;t even play much, but it's been indespensible just to have around the studio as a tool.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:19 pm

The last thing I bought was in-ear monitors. I played my first gig with them yesterday.

studiorat
audio school

Post by studiorat » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:56 pm

losthighway wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:40 am
Just picked up a used Blackout Effectors FIx'd Fuzz Deluxe. I kind of needed a 'swiss army fuzz' and that box can do pretty much the entire history of fuzz tones, and all of them well. Smooth and groovy to nasal and spitty. I like using fuzz to make a 3rd guitar part in overdubs sit in a totally different place, more like a synth or a horn than the bigger or jangly guitars.
Nice! I’ve got their Twosome fuzz...also pretty rad.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:37 pm

Vestax MR66 6 track cassette recorder! 5U racked! Looks like it’s come out of a time machine set for 1990. Super excited (and that probably says a lot about where my head is at these days).

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:54 am

Electronic Audio Experiments Mu Blaster - boost, etc., takes a really good sounding amp and makes it sound really really gooder bestly. The EQ alone is worth having. After another overdrive or distortion... has a refining quality and gigantic balls in the low mids.

Earthquaker Devices Bows - germanium boost. Boosts of this topology usually leave me with a sense of "who cares", but this has changed that. Both settings are useful. The Treble setting is perfectly EQ'd (typically treble boosts make me recoil in horror at louder volumes) and immediately recalls records you've heard a thousand times. The full boost setting takes solos into speaker destroying heaven.

Catalinbread Talisman - EMT140 in a pedal... so far I love it. A little goes a long way. I purchased this because I love how the UAD 140 sounds on guitars when I mix. Haven't compared, but who cares, it sounds good.

Nerd Knuckle FX Lip Splitter ABY - The guts of this thing are a sight to behold. Really beautiful work. Now I can be louder. Probably won't break after 2 shows like my Radial.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:31 am

I bought some pedals, also.

EHX Bass Blagger: meh, I like the Knockout much better, as well as the Bass Muff.

Zvex Fuzz Factory: Yay! Surprisingly cool on bass, also, altho' I been digging the Distrotron and a cuppla Mammoth clones there ... with the El Grande.

BYOC Multi-band Comp: very nice build I bought offa the bog. Very flexible, sounds great, I think I shall use it a lot while recording bass.

Kokko mini comp: US$17, I was drinking Guinness, see, and ...

A custom Superfuzz build: got it off the 'verb where the seller just wanted to move it I guess and set it ridiculously low so I jumped. Excellent build, and what a cool pedal. This one is a clone of the Japanese version, so it has "Sustain-Tone-Volume"; the Tone knob is really cool and very interactive with the Sustain. Meant to help get the Mascis on, he's mentioned putting a Superfuzz in front of his Muff, with a Double Rock following the muff. I'm using a Super Dooper and a Wicker Muff .,.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:28 am

I hit the buy it now on a Tama Birch 6.5x14 snare drum last night. I got a credit check I didn't know was coming, and I had the drum on my watch list. I've been wanting a birch drum for a while now.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:46 pm

Cascade X15,2 E/v 635's,Rebuilt trashed Ampeg v4,picked up a Peavey 18 x 2x10 for bass duties. Emptied the rack of stuff I don't need/use often. second mini fridge for mineral water.
I am the Walnut

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:35 pm

Maxon AD-900 analog delay pedal - i can't wait to echo echo echo eeeeeecccccchhhhhhhhhhooooooooo all night

a rack for all my rackmount stuff, it will be nice to have it all organized and "official" instead of piled on top of each other on a desk lol

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:54 pm

Slate Digital ML-2 (SDC) mic - they are $149 with the "modeling" software so could not resist. interesting...
Used ADK Hamburg 67 T-FET. I like the darker top which might be nice for some sibilant singers I work with. got a steal.
Traynor TR-1 reverb (from 1969 I think - all tube). Currently has some Rogers/Phillips tubes. It's a bit noisy so need to do a little work.
Rat pedal (original 80's - technically I think it's a Rat 2) -sounds just like i remember...
Vintage Acrolite snare (1965 based on serial #) - I have a '68 also. Just a Supra without the chrome (and 2 less lugs).

The last 3 items I bought from my recording buddy's brother (who was handling his estate sale - he passed away earlier this year) so not just typical GAS...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:03 pm

I'm a big fan of distortion pedals, and the Rat II was my third. (Still have my second, a Peavey Hot-foot, what is actually a Rat variant. My first was some MXR what died.)

The Rat II with the LM308 is a sweetheart - I love mine, especially when I see some selling over US$300. I think the value is actually closer to a hunnert, but that's still more than I paid for it new in '88.

If you really dig the Rat, there's a Chinese cloner on the Ebog called Little Bear what builds a clone he calls the RatAttack with 3 different mini-switchable chips, supposedly including the 308, an op-amp, and some kind of FET.

In any event, sounds great, particularly on bass, and is < US$60. I also bought one for a buddy and he uses it weekly in his cover band gig for over a year now.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:22 am

My Rat ii is probably the best $50 I ever spent.
Village Idiot.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:51 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:54 pm
Slate Digital ML-2 (SDC) mic - they are $149 with the "modeling" software so could not resist. interesting...
Used ADK Hamburg 67 T-FET. I like the darker top which might be nice for some sibilant singers I work with. got a steal.
Traynor TR-1 reverb (from 1969 I think - all tube). Currently has some Rogers/Phillips tubes. It's a bit noisy so need to do a little work.
Rat pedal (original 80's - technically I think it's a Rat 2) -sounds just like i remember...
Vintage Acrolite snare (1965 based on serial #) - I have a '68 also. Just a Supra without the chrome (and 2 less lugs).

The last 3 items I bought from my recording buddy's brother (who was handling his estate sale - he passed away earlier this year) so not just typical GAS...
I’ve been curious about the ML2 though a little weary about buying hardware that relies on software. Though the price seems right.