Tell me about your migration to Reaper

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Tell me about your migration to Reaper

Post by permanent hearing damage » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:42 am

I think there are more than a few out there. Been using Cubase 6 since 2012 or so, I believe. Have only tinkered with Reaper, and haven't updated past version 4.99, but it just seems so much more user friendly and has features I just wish I had in Cubase - esp wet/dry for all plugs (why on earth hasn't every DAW adopted this?!) and the transport speed control.

I guess I'm curious how long it took you to adjust your workflow once you switched over? I'm mostly concerned with mixing. I've done some tinkering at home and I feel awfully clumsy. I know some of this has to do with not setting up quick keys, etc.

And curious what hurdles you encountered.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Tell me about your migration to Reaper

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:47 am

I'm in the middle of exporting reaper sessions to Pro Tools.

It is simple and easy... UNLESS they used the Varispeed knob.

Then you are fucked.

Because there is no way to "print" the varispeed change properly.

If you "render", it creates new files ALMOST at the varispeed rate. But not the effing same. CLOSE ENOUGH FOR ROCK AND ROLL is not good when the pitch is off with other sessions.

If you "consolidate" it creates file WITHOUT the Varispeed... and you are screwed. they get created with no Varispeed, imagine getting files at half speed LOL.

Reaper looks good and is very powerful. But, it has features that, in inexperienced hands, can make your life a living hell.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:48 am

That said the latest stable version of Reaper is good and stable. Worth upgrading.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:54 am

If Reaper had come out 15 years ago I’d probably use it but my simple brain has a tough time memorizing shortcuts and workflow for every DAW out there so I have not tried this one in a few years.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:06 am

I was concerned about shortcuts, too, but then learned you can program them in Reaper (maybe other DAWs, also?). Mostly don't wanna throw a few hundred bucks to Steinberg every couple years just for stability. I'm getting by just fine for the time being - but i've had issues with plugins and just sessions starting up super slow.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:28 pm

I have been using CEP for almost a cuppla decades now, and am loath to change. It really is a great editor.

But I don't want Audition.

And since I figger my XP machine is getting towards end-of-life, well I bought Reaper and have been playing around with it.

It really is cool, but is not real simple - quite a bit different from CEP.

I use Reaper onna Win10, but just for "mastering" at the moment.

Recording-wise, I'm-a ride that WinXP macheen to hell.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:01 pm

I learned Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, etc. in school, then ended up with a non-official copy of Nuendo for a while. When I got a new computer and it was time to decide on a DAW, I went with Reaper because it was free (yes I should buy the license), way easier to use and more functional than Audacity, and I didn't want to be jerked around by Avid's subscription BS. I've since thought about getting Pro Tools just for those clients that want to work that way, but honestly it hasn't been necessary yet.

In short: USE REAPER, and pay for it if you can! The more of us supporting it, the better.