Best Sounding Snare Sound EVER

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Tide Recording wrote: What ever happened to simply using whatever guns and mics you have and just shooting drummers and recording it?
this is still my favorite.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:29 am

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:08 am

I liked the bit about the "Boston Tone Sand" enough that I was going to put it in as a spoken-word bit on my most recent (& ill-fated) 48-hour project. Unfortunately, message board posts are by nature too fragmentary to work well in that context.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:29 am

man, shedshrine wins. how long ago was it that i originally posted that 'tune'? seems like lifetimes.

Bill Williams
audio school

Post by Bill Williams » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:16 am

dsw wrote:Room treatment only works if the room WANTS to be treated, recognizes the problem and seeks out professional help. Sometimes an intervention can help though.

Not nearly as funny as the OP but you win something...

I prefer localised treatment in the form of ear plugs or muffs pressed lightly against my head. The local foam salesmen have a plaque honoring you somewhere I hope.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:20 am

*christmas bump*

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:15 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:*christmas bump*
Cissy Strut is a pretty cool one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_iC0MyIykM

shedshrine
deaf.

Re: Best Sounding Snare Sound EVER

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:25 am

So anyway, to recap. MoreSpaceEcho got it, this, the Best Sounding Snare Sound Ever partly by climbing to the 27th (not the 25th, not the 28th) rung of the painters ladder and hurling several snares at a snare on a stand below and stacked the resulting sounds.

But he did not fully reveal the secret to capturing those sounds. The "secret sauce" if you will. He did make reference to the mundane but ubiquitous Shure SM57. That was not the whole story by a longshot however.

He left out some key particulars. Not for secrecy's sake mind you, he was justifiably proud of his accomplishment. They had surely been omitted merely due to exhaustion.

See, it wasn't just any Shure SM57. In a recent interview he gave with WTF monthly nearly ten years after the fact, MSE revealed candidly that there was indeed much more at play here.

The 57 was modded. Not just the "take the transformer out mod and goose it through a strong pre" methodology. MSE found that still was not getting him there. So he came up with a couple mods of his own.

He found that by removing the transducer, the coil and that oh so thin copper wiring the noise floor was lowered considerably, though now no amount of preamp power could bring the signal up to usable levels. Finally he hit upon removing the XLR pin assembly as well. Now it was just a matter of placing the 57 in front of the source, and a second mic directly behind it and he had it. That elusive tube dynamic sound he had sought. Not so much of a vacuum tube per se, more that of a traffic tunnel type of tubiness, but it was there, that sound he had been hearing in his head and chasing relentlessly for so many years.
Last edited by shedshrine on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 11 times in total.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:49 pm

and it was goddamn glorious.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Wow. I think that's it. Great synopsis.

So, nothing I've ever done makes any sense.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:42 pm

I'm down with what shedshrine said except, well, you should use a SM58, y'know?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:28 pm

i'll use 58's next time.

currently looking for a new intern.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:10 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:28 pm
i'll use 58's next time.
Yeah, it's like, do every mod the same except also remove the SM58 windscreen - it'll mebbe sound better for sure.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:40 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:28 pm
I'm currently looking for a new intern.

Obituaries

Todd E. “Can Do” Martinsen
1978-2008

Succumbed to injuries Thursday morning sustained from impact of a ricocheting snare drum to the left side of the head while assisting world renowned engineer/producer MoreSpaceEcho.

The snare that ultimately took Martinsens’ life, a 5" x 14" Chad Smith Signature (not the artist's 7" x13" clear acrylic model as had been sited previously), struck Martinsen after it was hurled from a 30 foot painters ladder by Echo at a ‘70s Slingerland chrome student model mounted atop a stand for the purpose of obtaining a sound sample.

This unusual method for collecting drum samples ultimately led to what is largely regarded as the Greatest Snare Sound Ever, or the ‘Temple Tone’ as it became known in the industry as a tribute to the ill fated left side of Todd Martinsen's head.

Todd’s mother Evelyn Martinsen had this to say of her son: “Todd respected and loved music, loved engineering.
He was proud of his work with that [sic] lunatic. At least Bart left this world while doing what he loved most.”

Todd is survived by his lab “Hear Boy” and his South American iguana "Pearl"
Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.