Reverb Help

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Reverb Help

Post by Mustang Martigan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:42 pm

I'm thinking about grabbing another reverb plugin and I'm having a hell of a time deciding...there are so many choices, enough to make my brain cells pop.

Right now my top two are Seventh Heaven (the standard version; if I had the cash for the Pro I would have already made a decision) or one of the Valhalla 'verbs.

I already have the UA EMT 140, UA Precision Reflection Engine, Waves H-Reverb, Sound Toys Little Plate, PSP PianoVerb and the ones that come w/ PT.

Although after writing out that list it seems like I might have more than enough.
Any suggestions on something I'm missing, or an improvement to what I already have? Keep in mind my low budget.
I love the two UA plugs, but I only have a DUO and the DSP runs out pretty fast.. so I'm definitely searching outside the UA realm.

Thanks.

losthighway
resurrected

Re: Reverb Help

Post by losthighway » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:25 pm

What are you looking to get out of one that you're not already getting?

Maybe instead of yet another plugin you might want to try a hardware unit, spring perhaps?

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:45 pm

Valhalla vintage verb is great. Love it on vocals and guitars or synths.

Dirty plate setting or random space are both excellent.
the new rules : there are no rules

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:53 pm

PSP 2445 is also pretty fun on electric guitars, drums and new age piano.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:23 am

And abbey road plates are pretty cool too :D

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:05 am

I use Waves IR More then any other reverb plug these days. I started rolling my own impulse responses a few years ago and it's made a world of difference.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:42 am

Sounds like you are missing these types:

Spring.

Nonlinear.

Logic Pro's Space Designer.

Also, maybe a good delay is a good thing to add, to make very short reverbs that have no tails.

PSP Multidelay.

Logic Pro's Delay Designer.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:51 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:05 am
I use Waves IR More then any other reverb plug these days. I started rolling my own impulse responses a few years ago and it's made a world of difference.
How do you do make them?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:35 pm

Magnetic Services wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:51 pm
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
How do you do make them?
My favorite Ir making tool is Logic Pro's Space Designer. And they do provide the tools for processing the recorded file into the convolution impulse response file. I forget if Waves provides this tool, I never used it.

You use their tool for sampling an acoustic space. They provide that tool, and the sample to be "shot" into the space.

You "shoot" the provided sound sample, either a shot "pop" or a longer sine frecuency sweep. Then, in post processing, the "deconvolving" tool removes the original sample shot, and makes an "impulse response" sample of the space itself, aka only the reverberation. This gets exported as an audio file, and this file then gets loaded into the reverb plug in, and anything you put through that gets effected as if it were in that room.

I've done some for special projects only. They take time to be done properly, but are well worth it.

There are also "impulses" you can get for free or for low cost on the net. You can load them into this reverb plug in or others. My favorite are three CDs from a company that I think no longer exists. One CD is called "Kaleidoscopy", maybe you get lucky finding the guy who made them. Amazing stuff.

Cheers.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mustang Martigan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:42 am
Sounds like you are missing these types:

Spring.

Nonlinear.

Logic Pro's Space Designer.

Also, maybe a good delay is a good thing to add, to make very short reverbs that have no tails.

PSP Multidelay.

Logic Pro's Delay Designer.
The Logic Pro Designer sounds pretty cool from what I read in the post just above this one, but isn't that just for Logic? I have PT. It seems like the stock Logic plugs are infinitely cooler than what PT serves up.

As for Delay, I'm almost content with what I have. Off the top of my head I got..

UA Presicion Delay (which is my favorite; their reverb is awesome too)

PSP 85 (I bought this during that insane delay sale PSP had last year. I was gonna go with the Lexicon 42, but felt that I could get similar sounds using Presicion and wanted something that could give me crazy sounding delay FX. Looking back I should have bought both)

H-Delay (still trying to decide whether I like it; 99% of the time I insert it on a track I end up swapping it for something else).

Some of the ones that came with PT are Spring (two of 'em) and Non-Linear.
I definitely left some out, but I don't feel like loading PT right now to add to the list.

In an earlier post someone asked what I was looking for in a reverb and it make me realize that I need to learn how to use time based FXs more efficiently, and more so, a better understanding of how they work, both in what the different settings are actually doing and in relation to creating depth.

Until I get that sorted out I'm probably gonna hold off on any purchases, barring some kind of insane summer sale. Kinda like Soundtoys right now. I'm still beating myself up for not jumping on that sale last year that had decapitator and echo boy for only $50/ea. I'm planning on demoing their catalog this weekend. I've heard only great things about decapitator and echo boy. I don't have the $100 for either of them, but echo boy jr is only $29.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Audio thing outer space is worth checking out. Killer space echo emulation (with spring reverb )

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:15 am

I still use outboard a lot for reverb, but I like the Little Plate a lot. The PT Air reverb works really well on percussion, especially tambourine.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:45 am

I'll skip my opinions for the ones you say you already have...

Waves Abbey Road Plate is pretty nice (but a bit of a CPU hog). Wait a few weeks and as always Waves will sell it for $29. :D
I use the Lexicon MPX native a lot on drums. good for short, gatey things too. I think I got it for about $50. I have LXP too and have used it on guitars and vocals a bit, sometimes drums and percussion or other instruments. some decent roomy sounds.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:08 am

If you've already used this technique then please disregard my post. But once I started using the "Abbey Road trick" I realized I don't need so many flavors of reverb at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... lNckK8N3to
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:47 am

Magnetic Services wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:51 pm
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
How do you do make them?
Somewhere in the sub folders of the wavs bundle is a 96k sweep file and instructions. You basically run the sweep into whatever you want an impulse of and record the result. Then you open the IR plug and follow the directions. The plug uses your audio of the sweep file to create a new IR.
It's great for a freelancer like me. If I'm working somewhere and have a plate dialed in just right for the vocals I'll run a sweep through before the session wraps. Same deal with rooms. If I do a string session in a church I'll try to record a sweep with my main room mics. If I have problems with noise on the real room mics or any other gremlins I can use the IR as a safety.