Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Re: Reverb Help

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:31 pm

joninc wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:18 pm
Audio thing outer space is worth checking out. Killer space echo emulation (with spring reverb )
+1 agree.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:39 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:31 pm
joninc wrote:
Audio thing outer space is worth checking out. Killer space echo emulation (with spring reverb )
+1 agree.
That's a serious endorsement.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:42 am

Mustang Martigan wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:02 pm
The Logic Pro Designer sounds pretty cool from what I read in the post just above this one, but isn't that just for Logic? I have PT. It seems like the stock Logic plugs are infinitely cooler than what PT serves up.
Yes, it is only for Logic Pro.

BUTT:

I use a laptop running Logic, with a multichannel interface, and use it as an effects device, when I need to
use Logic's stock plug ins.

Right now I have Focusrite RedNet devices.

The RedNet HD32R, has 32 inputs and outputs. 6 of them got to a RedNet 2 which turns analog to digital and vice versa, and is hooked up
to my console.

The OTHER 16 IO are the laptop running either Pro Tools 12 or Logic Pro 9, so I can stream from my main Pro Tools 10 HD in and out of the laptop, without using any additional converters. Truly, amazing tech.

This way I can also run more modern plug ins that are not compatible with the older Mac tower. Fun times.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:02 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:42 am
Mustang Martigan wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:02 pm
The Logic Pro Designer sounds pretty cool from what I read in the post just above this one, but isn't that just for Logic? I have PT. It seems like the stock Logic plugs are infinitely cooler than what PT serves up.

BUTT:

I use a laptop running Logic, with a multichannel interface, and use it as an effects device, when I need to

The RedNet HD32R, has 32 inputs and outputs. 6 of them got to a RedNet 2 which turns analog to digital and vice versa, and is hooked up
to my console.

The OTHER 16 IO are the laptop running either Pro Tools 12 or Logic Pro 9, so I can stream from my main Pro Tools 10 HD in and out of the laptop, without using any additional converters. Truly, amazing tech.

This way I can also run more modern plug ins that are not compatible with the older Mac tower. Fun times.
Clever

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mustang Martigan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:51 am

KennyLusk wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:08 am
If you've already used this technique then please disregard my post. But once I started using the "Abbey Road trick" I realized I don't need so many flavors of reverb at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... lNckK8N3to
I'm familiar with this trick and use it all the time on mostly all my time based FX. However, just the pass filters. I never tried cutting the dominant freq of the track tho.

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mustang Martigan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:54 am

drumsound wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:15 am
I still use outboard a lot for reverb, but I like the Little Plate a lot. The PT Air reverb works really well on percussion, especially tambourine.
Ya, I'm still kicking myself for selling my two outboard FX units.. Lexicon MPX 1 and Rock from Intelliverb. More so the later as they're harder to find and one of those units with a cult following that has really driven the price up.

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mustang Martigan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:59 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:45 am
I'll skip my opinions for the ones you say you already have...
Why? I'd be interested to hear your opinions. I definitely like some of the ones listed WAY more than others. I'm curious if we agree on which are better/worse.

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mustang Martigan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:01 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:42 am

BUTT:

to my console.

That's cool, but for some like me, with just PT, it'd be impossible to run the Designer plug, ya?

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mustang Martigan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:07 am

joninc wrote:
If I was to grab another delay it'd be the Echoboy. It also emulates the Space Echo along with several other vintage gear. Plus, it's 50% off for the next week. The Echoboy Jr is only $29, but without many of the options the make Echoboy an intriguing buy. I've got alot of demoing to do this week with all these summer sales.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:22 pm

Mustang Martigan wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:01 am
That's cool, but for some like me, with just PT, it'd be impossible to run the Designer plug, ya?
I kind of wish they would release them as plug ins. They USED to, for TDM Pro Tools, a long time ago.

BUTT... Apple's "all inside our own thing" mantra, I do not think this will happen.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

leitmo
audio school

Post by leitmo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:50 am

Mustang Martigan wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:51 am
KennyLusk wrote:
If you've already used this technique then please disregard my post. But once I started using the "Abbey Road trick" I realized I don't need so many flavors of reverb at all.

I'm familiar with this trick and use it all the time on mostly all my time based FX. However, just the pass filters. I never tried cutting the dominant freq of the track tho.
I only use Soundtoys Little Plate and Logic Space Designer.

Call it Abbey Road trick or whatever you want but when choosing a reverb i just look for length--->dynamics to avoid peaks overexcite reverb ---> EQ before reverb (HPF, LPF, de-esser, etc) ---> reverb ---> EQ

Done!

There's nothing more frustrating and uninspiring than choosing between hundreds of presets. If you have to spend more than 5 minutes tweaking knobs just pass on, it's not the right reverb.

Suitable reverb must show almost instantly

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Mustang Martigan wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:51 am
KennyLusk wrote:

Huh, I never thought of filtering before reverb as a "trick," just a smart thing to do to avoid an unflattering sound. However, I tend to let most of the signal through, just cutting out the muddy lows and harsh highs and maybe boosting or cutting other frequencies as needed. The Abbey Road approach seems pretty drastic; I like to have a bit more body come through in the 'verb.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:49 pm

Mustang Martigan wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:07 am
If I was to grab another delay it'd be the Echoboy. It also emulates the Space Echo along with several other vintage gear.
Echoboy is a classic and for good reason - extremely versatile and great sounding.

BUT as a pure space echo emulation, the AudioThing gets me way closer (and I own a 201).
the new rules : there are no rules

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 am

Mustang Martigan wrote:
joninc wrote:
If I was to grab another delay it'd be the Echoboy. It also emulates the Space Echo along with several other vintage gear. Plus, it's 50% off for the next week. The Echoboy Jr is only $29, but without many of the options the make Echoboy an intriguing buy. I've got alot of demoing to do this week with all these summer sales.
Echoboy does some really cool "reverb"-ish things too. Thing is a game changer for me. I've been having so much fun with it. Def. get the full version.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:39 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 am
Mustang Martigan wrote:
joninc wrote:
Echoboy does some really cool "reverb"-ish things too. Thing is a game changer for me. I've been having so much fun with it. Def. get the full version.
I've done the really short delay with a lot of feedback thing with Soundtoys Primal Tap and it works really and is super simple to get going.