Dave Grohl- Play (mic spotting)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Dave Grohl- Play (mic spotting)

Post by losthighway » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:25 pm

So here's Dave Grohl in his million dollar playground, creating an orchestra of himself to play some pretty inspired instrumental rock music.

There are many things people have said to criticize this guy's ego and self-serving documentaries about music, and I agree in part with almost all of them. Nonetheless he's a great fucking guy, and an undeniable talent. The execution of this video musically, audio engineering, and video-wise is kind of beyond reproach, a serious accomplishment.

https://youtu.be/e05H80-k0mY

I thought it was fun for gear spotting. I thought I caught 441's on the toms on one kit, md421's on another, big old RCA in center overhead on one kit. Really cool Gretsch guitar. Some Neumans hanging around.

I was stumped on two clunky looking SDCs, or maybe dynamics that look like old weird EV mics, but I doubt they are. One was on the snare early on, might have been the second kit he played, the other was hanging out in front of him for one of the electric guitar stations, but only comes into play when he picks up the acoustic guitar.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Dave Grohl- Play (mic spotting)

Post by drumsound » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:23 pm

The studio is East West (Studio 1), formerly Cello, formerly Western (I think) designed by Bill Putnam. I know that floor anywhere, I did a little tribute to in on my control room floor. That's a Neve 8078 console. A literal shit ton of music was made in that room.
http://www.eastweststudios.com/studio1/

First drumset has a Sony C37 or 38 on the double head rack tom, 57s in the concert toms and 4047s on the flooor toms. Those are DWs with die cast hoops, something you don't usually see.

Second drumset is Ludwig. Hard to tell if its vintage Keystone badges or new. Looks like a 414, or maybe C12a on those toms.

Shure Beta 181 over the cymbal floor tom between sets 2 and 3.

Drumset 3 has 421 on rack and first floor tom, and I think a Beta 52 on lowest floor tom. 441 as "wurst/"knee mic.

Same mic on hats and vibes, and acoustic guitar (that chunky pencil looking guy). Looks like a Lauten on percussion. 414 on tympani.

I think all three drumsets have LCR overheads. The last one has an RCA 44 in the center with what I think a U87s for L-R. Probably the same on all the sets? I thought I saw a 57 on a snare somewhere. (that's too bad).

Lots of cool guitar amps, but its hard to know which are being used. No good mic shots on the amps.

70s looking P bass. Gretsch duo jet, the Gibson model he plays most of the time, Rhodes and Wurly, Nord, DX7, Hollow PRS bass (I think that's the logo). The Bechstein piano goes unused.

That piece feels like Dave's homage to earlyish Rush with a dose of Shine on you Crazy Diamond Pink Floyd. Kurt would probably HATE it.

GeorgeToledo
audio school graduate

Post by GeorgeToledo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:40 am

That was really cool.

I’ll just add that I’ve worked with the Foos, and I think they’re one of the more down to earth groups out there. Dave is pleasant and will chat it up with anyone. They don’t corner themselves off or put on a bunch of airs. They’re also extremely tight and professional.

People could criticize the various projects, but there’s another side of it, where maybe it is good management by a good manager. It has kept them cranking away, and selling tickets.

They also have a lot of really cool people on their support team, and the interaction has a very nice family like vibe. Or as close to that as you see in the music biz. And they’re really as close to the top for actively touring bands as it gets...which makes their down to earth-ness notable. At least that was my experience.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:37 am

GeorgeToledo wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:40 am
Dave is pleasant and will chat it up with anyone. They don’t corner themselves off or put on a bunch of airs. They’re also extremely tight and professional.

People could criticize the various projects, but there’s another side of it, where maybe it is good management by a good manager.
Many of the clients I work with are loosely part of the Electrical Audio, Chicago underground (while not being in Chicago!), more challenging post-whatever (be it post rock, hardcore, punk, pop whatever) music, so I bump elbows with a lot of smart, nice people who make a hobby of bagging on Grohl and company. As a record collector I'll acknowledge they have a fairly inconsistent output on some of their records, but I will happily turn in all of my punk points to acknowledge a ton of amazing, authentic stuff made by those guys (and Pearl Jam, and Wilco, and Radiohead).

Career artists, or maybe we call them 'legacy artists' don't get there by making one glossy top 40 hit. It takes depth, vision and commitment.

I ran into Dave at a club once when I was in L.A. and he was under no obligation to talk to me, or be nice. He opted to hang out and have a drink with me and talk about music for 20 minutes just cause he's like that.

But more importantly, what's the mic on snare on the second kit, and the one on acoustic guitar? :-)

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:53 pm

The acoustic guitar mic -- I don't know the vintage mics all that well, could be some weird early Schoeps Collette mic or Lomo or something, but I think the Shure KSM 141 is shaped kinda like that.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:06 pm

standup wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:53 pm
The acoustic guitar mic -- I don't know the vintage mics all that well, could be some weird early Schoeps Collette mic or Lomo or something, but I think the Shure KSM 141 is shaped kinda like that.
Yeah, I thought of that too cause that's a pretty handy mic for an acoustic instrument. I own a pair of those so I'm pretty familiar with them. They do have that weird extra diameter on the front around the capsule where they rotate for omni or cardioid, but I thought the one in the video looked even more bulbous. Maybe that's all it was though.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:21 pm

losthighway wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:06 pm
standup wrote:
Yeah, I thought of that too cause that's a pretty handy mic for an acoustic instrument. I own a pair of those so I'm pretty familiar with them. They do have that weird extra diameter on the front around the capsule where they rotate for omni or cardioid, but I thought the one in the video looked even more bulbous. Maybe that's all it was though.
I don't think it was a KSM 141.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:36 am

drumsound wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:21 pm
losthighway wrote:
standup wrote:
I don't think it was a KSM 141.
Sony C55p - it had a turning capsule

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:21 am

losthighway wrote:
...looked even more bulbous.
That's right the Mascara Snake! fast 'n bulbous. Bulbous also tapered!
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:41 pm

I'm Painting Again wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:36 am
Sony C55p - it had a turning capsule
For the win!

Now that's a mic you don't see all that often. I bet they fetch a high price.