digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:19 am

kslight wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:51 am
digitaldrummer wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:54 pm
Slate Digital ML-2 (SDC) mic - they are $149 with the "modeling" software so could not resist. interesting...
I’ve been curious about the ML2 though a little weary about buying hardware that relies on software. Though the price seems right.
the mic is pretty unexciting alone, but $149 for a decent, flat responding SDC is not a complete waste of money. Then the plugin - it is not Waves so it would be more than $29 - but the cool thing is you can use it with any mic. sure it completely screws up the models. could you get the same effect with some EQ and saturation plugins? probably if you spent a lot of time with it. and you can use the plugin on any track - not just something you mic'd. there are some subtle and not-so subtle mic models so it's definitely another tool in the belt... not ready to spring for the ML1 though.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:16 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:19 am
kslight wrote:
digitaldrummer wrote:
Slate Digital ML-2 (SDC) mic - they are $149 with the "modeling" software so could not resist. interesting...
I’ve been curious about the ML2 though a little weary about buying hardware that relies on software. Though the price seems right.
the mic is pretty unexciting alone, but $149 for a decent, flat responding SDC is not a complete waste of money. Then the plugin - it is not Waves so it would be more than $29 - but the cool thing is you can use it with any mic. sure it completely screws up the models. could you get the same effect with some EQ and saturation plugins? probably if you spent a lot of time with it. and you can use the plugin on any track - not just something you mic'd. there are some subtle and not-so subtle mic models so it's definitely another tool in the belt... not ready to spring for the ML1 though.
Right. I would be more interested in trying a whole set on a drum kit...but I’ve already got way more mics than someone who doesn’t record full time needs... still that might be a fun application.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:44 pm

Tech 21 Trademark 60.

IMO, perhaps the ultimate S/S guitar amp, certainly a phenom pedal platform.

Sounds great by itself, too.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:22 pm

vvv wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:44 pm
Tech 21 Trademark 60.

IMO, perhaps the ultimate S/S guitar amp, certainly a phenom pedal platform.

Sounds great by itself, too.
Yes! This is the only guitar amp I've ever owned and never felt like I needed another. I don't use the "dirty" channel much though, channel 1 gets plenty of gain by itself and the shaping controls are fantastic. The built-in SansAmp also sees plenty of use as a fancy DI box and outboard distortion unit.

I should fix my spring tank though.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:47 am

I have a Trademark 10, also, so it's nice to get some volume and depth with those sounds. Along with a Vox Pathfinder, my fave S/S amps, altho' I've not tried all that many, considering me a tube guy.

I sorta kinda wish I only had one amp ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:48 am

I got an early 60's Slingerland 6 lug snare - It's really fun and sounds great

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:11 pm

More plug ins. On special. Yay.

PSP L'Otary 2 and Scanner.

Waves Abbey Road Chambers and Plates.

Goody goody.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:46 am

2016 Ric bass (4003S) in midnight blue, recently off of ebay. In great shape (unlike myself)!
On a friend's recommendation, I stuck Rotosound swing 66 strings on it.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:56 am

Anuzzer cool chepo Chinee pedal (that Kokko compressor I mentioned above is a ton of fun for color) is the Rowin Flanger - the black one. (Anybody else got the El Vy song in their head yet? "green-colored f*ck me shirt - the green one")

There's some debate re these import cheapies being the same or variations of themselves (much less what they are originally cloning) and I have no real insight but I will say this Rowin is said to be very similar if not he same to the Mooer E-Lady, itself a well-liked clone of the Electric Mistress. And it sounds great, including as a noise-macheen when you crank crank up the "color" knob.

Also obtained a BBE Opto-Stomp (non-'stache) which is what I'd read it to be - a sweet opto-comp (my fave kind since I started with Meeks).

I should mention, I use the comps primarily on bass, and I bought the flanger to fulfill my J. Mascis lead-sound obsession, altho' I think it will work well on bass also - I'm-a buy anuvver for that.

Finally wanna mention that I ain't just buy this shite - it's being used at that bandcamp link below, usually within a month or so of purchase, and I tend to use stuff repeatedly before switching it out; gear used is cited in the lyrics notes.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:53 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:56 am
Also obtained a BBE Opto-Stomp (non-'stache) which is what I'd read it to be - a sweet opto-comp (my fave kind since I started with Meeks).
I've got the 'stache version. Does yours have that annoying clicky thing in the attack?
Village Idiot.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:50 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:19 am
kslight wrote:
digitaldrummer wrote:

Any thoughts further now that you’ve had it for a bit?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:13 pm

floid wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:53 pm
vvv wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:56 am
I've got the 'stache version. Does yours have that annoying clicky thing in the attack?
No, no issues at all. I just used it today on two choons what are in progress. I have it set for fairly heavy reduction, and it is not transparent, but sounds great.

(I like compressor pedals on bass for color and feel, and also have them on the recording chain. Today was Hohner 2BA with flats into the BBE into a Ampeg BA108 mic'd by a PV 520i into brick to a 160XT, with the instrument pass thru -I don't know why this works when the input is a dynamic mic - connected to a VC3Q.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:49 pm

CraigS63 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:46 am
2016 Ric bass (4003S) in midnight blue, recently off of ebay. In great shape (unlike myself)!
On a friend's recommendation, I stuck Rotosound swing 66 strings on it.

I think I may have seen that on the 'ol eBay.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:22 am

79 Korg CX-3 Analog Clonewheel Organ
87 Dunlop Fuzz Face (about to be modded with some NOS germ transistors)
another shure m67 (i do like these things)

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:33 pm

Not new gear per se, but just installed a pair of Antiquity II in my j mascis squier jazzmaster this afternoon. I hated the stock bridge p/u from the get go but had gotten used to the neck one and thought it was passable. Holy crap was I wrong. Feel like I have a brand new guitar now.
Village Idiot.