Where can I find blank studio tracking sheets?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Where can I find blank studio tracking sheets?

Post by Dubmaniac » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:41 pm

Are there any resources online where I could download a template for a tracking sheet? I can find all kinds of them that are filed out for various sessions, but I want one that I can fill out on my own, for my own studio. Does everybody make their own? What do you do to document your progress on your tracks in your studio? I found a couple of things online, but one prints off in very low resolution (almost illegible), and the other one cuts off the right edge of the page when I print it. Help me, Obi-Wan. You're my only hope!
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Where can I find blank studio tracking sheets?

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:24 am

I make my own . Different ones from different recorders (I've got cassette 4, 6 and 8 plus a 16 track reel to reel)..
They all have a space at the top where I fill out the date, artist, location of the session and all that stuff. Under that there are spaces to detail the recorder, noise reduction (and type), tape formula/alignment details, tape speed, tails in or out, ect
Under that there are numbered boxes for each track. If I can fit more than one set on a page I'll have them grouped with a space beside for the name of the song and the location. With high track counts it a page per song. Each box gets the instrument on that track plus mic-pre-comp-whatever info.
I also like to leave space for notes - things that might need to be fixed (with a location), edits to be made etc.

The basic idea is to put as much info as humanly possible down. You'd be amazed what you need to know if you come back to tapes years later.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:26 am

Hi,

These are recall sheets, for hundreds of pieces of gear:

https://www.barryrudolph.com/pages/recalldirectory.html

Also, usually, studios make their own customized track sheets, for their own equipment.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:01 am

I make my own using Open Office Spreadsheet. 24 boxes for the contents of each track, a few lines at the bottom for notes, and a column on the side to write out the structure of the song and associated cue points (verse 1 at 4:15, chorus 1 at 4:48, etc)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:26 am

In some ways, one of the best things about a DAW is the visualness of it: no need for track sheets and barely a need (if ya do it right!) for track/mix notes.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.