Herman Poole Blount

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:49 am

Whee!

Zygomorph
pushin' record

Post by Zygomorph » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:49 pm

Calling it a "schtick" (the Afro-futurist Egyptian thing) is missing the point and you will meet people who will take offense to this.

Anyway, Mr. Tchicai just passed away unfortunately, but I was recently turned onto to the New York Art Quartet. I got to do a reference mix of a live performance of theirs for a documentary. Man, that was an interesting multitrack to listen to!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4VFg_OL1mo
ethical action gets the good.
audio.johnmichaelswartz.com

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:03 pm

I didn't know John Tchicai passed!!

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:35 am

Zygomorph wrote:Calling it a "schtick" (the Afro-futurist Egyptian thing) is missing the point
Can you explain "the point" then, as you see it? I get that there's more to it than just schtick, that there's an element of myth-making and creative spirituality, but it's also very campy and over-the-top and not meant to be taken as literally true. I'd like to hear your take on it.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:12 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Enjoying these!

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:03 pm

Congratulations! Good choices.

I find I keep coming back to the title track on that Leroy Jenkins album, over the years. It's weird but it grows on you.

LIVE AT MONTREUX is pretty much continuously great from the opening through "Lights on a Satellite," which makes a nice climax to the first part of the album. ymmv.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:09 pm

Hey Shred,

So glad you found the Moraz/Bruford thing! Great record.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

floid
buyin' a studio

Re: Herman Poole Blount

Post by floid » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:57 pm

Nice to read back thru this, feel like I know a little more this time around.
Hopefully it's not too off topic, as he's been mentioned, but can anyone steer me to some good Pharoah Sanders? Discovered his and Coltrane's "Live in Seattle" and "Om" last fall. The guy at the record store was reluctant to sell it - "oh man, that thing made me really nervous. I'm not sure you're gonna like it." Think I kind of freaked him out when I came back asking for more.
Village Idiot.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:03 am

Karma is where i would start, Thembi is also excellent. Check out Lonnie Liston Smith and the Cosmic Echoes, its Pharoah's keyboard player who left the group and does the same thing he did with other musicians. Astral Traveling and Cosmic Funk are both excellent.

shedshrine
deaf.

Re:

Post by shedshrine » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:18 am

By all means discuss Pharoah Sanders as well. I've got a copy on vinyl of his Karma, but damned if I can find it at the moment..

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:35 am
Zygomorph wrote:Calling it a "schtick" (the Afro-futurist Egyptian thing) is missing the point
Can you explain "the point" then, as you see it? I get that there's more to it than just schtick, that there's an element of myth-making and creative spirituality, but it's also very campy and over-the-top and not meant to be taken as literally true. I'd like to hear your take on it.
Here's a page from the first chapter of Graham Lock's book on Anthony Braxton (Forces in Motion) concerning where Ra is coming from:

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:45 pm

I've read Forces in Motion. I own a copy. I'm a big fan of Braxton's music, and I met him when he was a visiting artist when I was in grad school. He's close friends with one of my professors at the time.

But, yeah, the shtick thing... there's an audio recording of one of Sun Ra's lectures from when he was teaching a course (at UC Berkeley, IIRC) recorded surreptitiously (he didn't allow recording) where he essentially admits that he doesn't care whether what he says is factual, what matters to him is the political effect of it (myth vs. reality, or as he put it on one record: "if you are not a myth, whose reality are you? If you are not a reality, whose myth are you?"). It was a form of propaganda, along the same lines as "alternative facts" today, though in service of a very different ideology, and a more indirect presentation (i.e. creating an entertaining "myth" vs. outright lying (the current administration)).

I love Braxton's and Sun Ra's music, but 1. DNA from ancient mummies show that the ancient Egyptians are closely related to the pre-Arab conquest component of the modern Egyptian population, and distinct from the sub-Saharan population. 2. The "mystery school" teachings have a very tenuous connection to ancient Egypt. They're mostly the invention of neo-Platonists, Theosophists, Masons, Rosicrucians and others from the post-Enlightenment, romantic era. A lot of their ideas are variations on certain works by Plato (Timaeus, Theatetus) and medieval Kabbalistic texts (Sepher Yezirah, Zohar).

Of course none of that has anything to do with space people, regardless. And while there may be some kind of silicon-based life on Titan, there ain't a damn thing alive on Saturn.

Africans and black people everywhere have lots to be proud of without having to make up false histories and mythologies involving ancient Egyptians and Saturnians. And the music speaks for itself.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:41 am

RE: Pharoah Sanders...

some favorites:
Village of the Pharoahs
Alice Coltrane's "Journey in Satchitananda"; "Ptah the El Daoud"
Maleem Mahmoud Ghania, "Trance of Seven Colors"
Anything by JC (Meditations, Expression, Om... I'm partial to studio vs. live)

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:41 am

Sun Song liner notes.