Sounds on Big Thief - Masterpiece

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Sounds on Big Thief - Masterpiece

Post by Matt C. » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:35 pm

I've been really enjoying the sound of the Big Thief album "Masterpiece" (especially the songs Real Love and Masterpiece) and I'm wondering if anyone has any comments or insight into the sounds on the record. Link here: https://bigthief.bandcamp.com/album/masterpiece

I'm not even wondering about anything specific exactly, but everything on the album just sounds good in a way that is elusive to me. Everything sounds very upfront and present without a bunch of weird compression artifacts, different elements blend together nicely with what sounds like very few effects applied, all the instruments sound full without the low end getting muddy, etc. I guess I'm curious if this is just the result of a good band in a good room captured with good equipment, or if there are other lessons to be learned from these tones.

losthighway
resurrected

Re: Sounds on Big Thief - Masterpiece

Post by losthighway » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:41 pm

I really like this record too, both the sounds and the songs.

I don't have any deep insights. You can hear a big loose snare drum, some pretty dry drum sounds, maybe some smaller combo amps on guitars.

I actually don't know where it was recorded, that might offer some more insights.