Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Re: Mounting Mics To Drum Rims

Post by losthighway » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:54 pm

permanent hearing damage wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:44 am
am I the only one who had issues with those LP percussion claws resonating? I still use them on occasion, but always mounted to another mic stand.
Theoretically anything mounted to the drum is going to resonate with the drum, except of course in the suspension hardware/latin percussion claw scenario above. When I have stands to spare I put mics on them cause it's best practice. When I don't, I mount them to the drum cause shut up, jerk.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:13 pm

losthighway wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:54 pm
permanent hearing damage wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:44 am
am I the only one who had issues with those LP percussion claws resonating? I still use them on occasion, but always mounted to another mic stand.
Theoretically anything mounted to the drum is going to resonate with the drum, except of course in the suspension hardware/latin percussion claw scenario above. When I have stands to spare I put mics on them cause it's best practice. When I don't, I mount them to the drum cause shut up, jerk.
I really did laugh when I read the last line.

Well Played.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:10 am

I was prepared to post a pic of the nice, compact stand I have for mic-ing top and bottom of the snare but then I saw the picture of the drum kit and just felt bad for you. Is there a 5 string bass on this project too?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:29 am

roscoenyc wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:10 am
I was prepared to post a pic of the nice, compact stand I have for mic-ing top and bottom of the snare but then I saw the picture of the drum kit and just felt bad for you. Is there a 5 string bass on this project too?
Why ask questions to which you already know the answer? :lol:

I got some of the Shure A56D mounts yesterday...I didn’t get to try them on a kit but already they seem vastly more sturdy and better designed than the Audix DVice clips. They also should mount to more than just rims, but also cymbal stands, racks, amps...

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:52 pm

You won’t regret the LP Claw for snare, or close micing cymbals. The Shure AD’s are cool especially if you have 98’s with the gooseneck. I tried some Dvices with 12 Guage Mics Blue 12s on toms a week ago which worked really well in terms of fitting in their weird mic clips and the mics are so light there wasn’t any drooping.

The 12 guage mics sounded better than 98s on toms too, but the polar pattern isn’t as tight a the 98’s. The picked up more bleed than I like. The kinda wide for sdc’s. I wanna try them again though because the tone was sick. So there’s my mini side rant/review on using them on toms ha!

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:40 pm

losthighway wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:35 pm
I've been using those Sennheiser tom mics (e604) for ages and have resorted to using the clips they come with when I'm short on stands. They work great other than when drummers have that weird suspension hardware. But I suppose that's more of an endorsement for the whole package, as opposed to just the clip.
Hey all! It's been a while...

I'm on the road right now and the backline company unfortunately gave me a kit with RIMS mounts on the rack toms. It DID give me an opportunity to figure out a method for how to get an e604 clipped on there that works consistently and relatively easily night after night so far. I'll try to remember to take a video the next time it happens but I will try to describe as best I can below:

So... the "upper" part of the grabby section has 2 indentations right next to each other for different angle options. First thing, attach the "back" (or 2nd) indentation to the top of the drum hoop, then you'll be in a better angle to push the "lower" grabby part between the hoop and the RIMS mount. Once that's clicked in, you can pull the upper grabby part back to click into the front or first indentation.

I have been very proud of my ability to relieve the FOH engineers of the stress they clearly exude when they see these toms in the first place....
20181109_023126.jpg
20181109_023126.jpg (78.12 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:43 pm

DrummerMan wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:40 pm

So... the "upper" part of the grabby section has 2 indentations right next to each other for different angle options. First thing, attach the "back" (or 2nd) indentation to the top of the drum hoop, then you'll be in a better angle to push the "lower" grabby part between the hoop and the RIMS mount. Once that's clicked in, you can pull the upper grabby part back to click into the front or first indentation.
Oh dude. I had to read it 3 times, and your graphic saved the day for comprehension, but I know exactly what you mean now, and I'm sure my weird brain will remember this in the likely year between now and when someone has suspension mounted toms in my studio.

It's a sad reality, can remember my father-in-laws birthday, but I'll totally remember this. Thanks!