No fancy tube mics - am I missing out?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Re: No fancy tube mics - am I missing out?

Post by permanent hearing damage » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:34 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:45 pm
just the mic and plugin. I have clean pres and character pres. I'm not really trying to go head to head with some other mic anyway. I've already got one of the ML-2 (sdc) mics and it's interesting. Some of the plugin emulations are subtle, some are NOT!
Ah i gave this route a thought, as well. Leaning towards the Sphere though because it can be stereo.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:20 am

permanent hearing damage wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:34 am
Leaning towards the Sphere though because it can be stereo.
yeah, but that mic is $1500. you could get 2 x VMS ML-1 and really run stereo for less than one TL-22. Even after the Black Friday sale is over...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:26 am

Fair. I have no actual reason for this, but I am somewhat dubious of the Slate stuff. I own Trigger 2 and it's great, though.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:24 am

yeah, I have several other Slate plugins too. they sound great when they are working. Stability is not always their middle name so I feel like I am tip-toeing around. but i guess its kind of like analog too... you learn all the quirks and then work around them. In the end, I've been able to live with most of them. 8)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:33 am

Find a Groove Tubes MD1A.

The more I use mine, the more I love it. $500. Rules.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:55 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:33 am
Find a Groove Tubes MD1A.

The more I use mine, the more I love it. $500. Rules.
Totally. After wanting one of these for like 18 years, Recycled Brains tipped me off on one going for dirt cheap on Reverb. I'll normally just do all the vocals with a SM7b. But the last record that I tracked out of my place, we used the MD1a for all of the vocal tracks... screaming, singing, all of it. Sounds great. Can't wait to try it on stupid guitars.

Just make sure you're singing into the right side. It's very "dark" if your not.. a :lol: :D :lol: :biggergrin: :twisted: :lol: :D :???: :D :x

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:29 am

also a studio projects T3 with a NOS GE tube in it slays on the cheap

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:46 am

I got a few nice mics and a number of others. For loud/shouted/screaming vocals in dense mixes/rock i prefer to tickle a tube pre into slight compression/overdrive of the creamy variety. That adds some overtones which will help the vocals stay afloat in the mix with distorted guitars and if i add some parallel distortion it stacks up nicer than with a 100% clean vocal. Mic? What mic? Whatever works. Could be a cheapo, could be a 47 and anything inbetween.
Due to luck and circumstances i am offering a limited run of Beyerdynamic M380 clones with unused Beyer capsules. PM me for info.

GeorgeToledo
audio school graduate

Post by GeorgeToledo » Mon May 20, 2019 8:33 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:25 am
If it sounds good stop buying gear and just make records. Fuck all these forums and gear marketing. Oops, did I say that?
Many years ago I was recording something with Steve Gursky, who used to be on the forums as “Loudist”.

I asked him something like “Steve. You recorded CSN with the SM7. What was your thinking behind that.”

The reply was “it’s the mic I had. If there was an ELAM in front of me I might have used that. But it still got them their last Grammy didn’t it?”

I heard that guy make recordings with RadioShack pzms that would make people weep they were so good.

I’ve always taken that as a lesson to give credit to gear that is truly awesome for it being awesome (like an original 251), but to just get on with it and concentrate on the sound coming out of the speakers. Good advice that hasn’t failed.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue May 21, 2019 7:58 pm

GeorgeToledo wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:33 am
TapeOpLarry wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:25 am
If it sounds good stop buying gear and just make records. Fuck all these forums and gear marketing. Oops, did I say that?
Many years ago I was recording something with Steve Gursky, who used to be on the forums as “Loudist”.

I asked him something like “Steve. You recorded CSN with the SM7. What was your thinking behind that.”

The reply was “it’s the mic I had. If there was an ELAM in front of me I might have used that. But it still got them their last Grammy didn’t it?”

I heard that guy make recordings with RadioShack pzms that would make people weep they were so good.

I’ve always taken that as a lesson to give credit to gear that is truly awesome for it being awesome (like an original 251), but to just get on with it and concentrate on the sound coming out of the speakers. Good advice that hasn’t failed.
Great advice. I am a big advocate for hitting the red button. Work, make records, figure out how the things in front of you work. MAKE RECORDS.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue May 21, 2019 9:22 pm

Nothing is happening when we are "thinking" about recording. Although a few discussions here and there can open doors.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com