Budget Boom Vocal Mic Stand Recommendation

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Budget Boom Vocal Mic Stand Recommendation

Post by Suntower » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:30 pm

It seems ridiculous to have to ask this after 20 years, but I need a new vocal mic stand for studio use (preferrably with a boom) sturdy enough to use with a decent condenser (faux U67 style) mic.

The ones I've used until now have been these really old school Atlas stands that were probably designed for stage use but are so frickin' heavy they work just fine. Anyhoo, I need another one and I'm stunned at the prices I've seen on some of the pro models so I'm looking for a 'budget' model that I can trust. It does -not- have to be moved.

If this helps with the price, it will be placed on one spot at left there (mostly) PERMANENTLY.

Thoughts?

TIA,

---JC

losthighway
resurrected

Re: Budget Boom Vocal Mic Stand Recommendation

Post by losthighway » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:45 pm

Yeah, it's sad how much cash you have to spend on such a utility item with none of the fun or flash of a new mic, or pedal, or whatever.

My compromise a while back was the K&M extra tall boom stand. I needed one that could hold a tube mic over the drum set without fear of falling over. It's weighted and just feels sturdy. It has proven it is trustworthy.

It's not cheap (around $130) but it's the only in between option I could find from the $40 stripped plastic screw specials, to the $500 latch lake jobbies.

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Post by Suntower » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:09 pm

Exactly! It's gotta be strong enough to not tip over. I've seen all manner of DIY deals made out of everything from steel to 2x4s (!!!) and I figured I'd ask the Interwebs before I went down that rabbit hole. Thanks!

All I -really- care about is the boom -arm-. You don't happen to recall what model?

---JC

losthighway wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:45 pm
Yeah, it's sad how much cash you have to spend on such a utility item with none of the fun or flash of a new mic, or pedal, or whatever.

My compromise a while back was the K&M extra tall boom stand. I needed one that could hold a tube mic over the drum set without fear of falling over. It's weighted and just feels sturdy. It has proven it is trustworthy.

It's not cheap (around $130) but it's the only in between option I could find from the $40 stripped plastic screw specials, to the $500 latch lake jobbies.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:41 pm

Take a look at the Tama Iron Works: amazon.com/Works-Studio-MS756BK-Microph ... ref=sr_1_1

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:46 am

Y'know, I understand the concern of it all but really, I put large ribbon and AT4040 mic's onto On Stage boom stands and have had no issues in multiple 6-8 hour sessions.
Yeah, you want one of the tripod legs aligned with the front of the boom, and yeah, you wanna crank down on the cam, but I've never had a problem.

Rather than DIY, but to assuage any paranoia, I'd prob'ly start with one of those and mebbe reinforce key points with zip ties.

BTW, I got mine for like US$20 each when I bought a 4-pack about 5 years ago, and I'm still using 'em, currently have an ST6050 in one.

FWIW, the weak point is the hinge on the mic's own shock mount, and always is no matter what mic or shock mount I use - and I must have 10 of the buggers, tho' they are just the OEM's, not after-markets.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:29 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:35 pm
I like the On Stage heavy duty stands.https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -mic-stand
+1

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:15 am

for just a simple boom stand, I've had good luck with the DR stands from Guitar Center (although I bought them 4-5 years ago so who knows today...). the booms hold tight and nothing broken yet.

If I need something taller/bigger, then I've got 3 of the Ultimate Support MC-125. You can find them on sale. I bought 2 of them (again 5 or 6 years ago) when Vintage King (I think) had a 2 for 1 deal on them. I was not totally happy with them (broken parts over the years) but I found out that Ultimate had a lifetime warranty (although i don't think it was MY lifetime - rather the expected lifetime of the stand which was like 6 years or something...). but I called them and they did send me parts. I had to pay shipping. so a lot cheaper than replacing the stands and now they are 100% again. so that means something.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:26 pm

I wish someone just sold generic spare parts for boom stands. I've got a half dozen that are dead because the small set screw for the boom arm strips or the rubber in the boom joint gives out. It's always the super small/cheap parts that take down the whole stand.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:35 pm

If you want something that resembles a regular, mid-weight mic stand, the Tama and Ultimate options are both pretty good. When my entry-level stands wear out, I replace them with Tama (the regular ones, not the "iron" ones).

The great big Onstage ones are big, but also a bit cumbersome. The fittings are plastic, but also in common with their speaker and light stands. The boom is absurdly long, but can be unscrewed, so you only use half, which is more manageable.

For money similar to the big Onstage, you can get a C-stand with a boom - just chuck up a piece of a smaller mic stand to get the 5/8" thread.
All metal fittings, really good handles&wingnuts. Something like this, add a sandbag if you need more stability.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:42 pm

Suntower wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:09 pm
You don't happen to recall what model?

---JC
This one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... tand-black

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Post by Suntower » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:04 am

Forgot to thank you for this. Perfect.
losthighway wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:42 pm
Suntower wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:09 pm
You don't happen to recall what model?

---JC
This one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... tand-black

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:42 am

used C-stand and adapt it for mics - that's prob the best value for quality

most mic stands in the pro audio market are a joke

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:07 pm

Definitely not pro level, but in the I really need some cheap stands quickly I was short a couple of booms and purchased a couple of Hola boom stands on Amazon. I'd never heard of them, but they had good reviews and were maybe a smidge more expensive than the On Stage stuff. I've only used them for one session so far, but I was pleased. They have a nice weight to them and held up a pair of Roswell Mini K47's just fine. I'd actually be hard pressed to tell the difference in these between the K&M boom I own.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:27 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:35 pm
I like the On Stage heavy duty stands.https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -mic-stand
+2
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.