Re: Old Colony Mastering build recap

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:13 am

we're vegans.

OFF MY LAWN!

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:19 am

Hey Scott! Place looks great. Congratulations!! I think there's always that embedded intense fear for any of us that dream of dumping a shit ton of money and time into diy-ing a space and have spent even any time at all on the Sayers forum that no matter what you do, you're still not doing it right enough and everything will fall apart in your hands... :)

I've been in process on my garage studio build for a few years now and last year (or the year before, cant remember) got some leaking near the door entrance. Fixed it pretty easily but still almost had a heart attack and couldn't relax until we'd been through a few more rains (which can take years in LA) without the issue recurring. Can only imagine by comparison the feeling for you...
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:33 am

Thanks Geoff!

Yeah it's going to be an anxiety-ridden winter for me, but we've had a bunch of heavy rain storms this past month and everything's been 100%, so far so good.

Re: Sayers forum....I couldn't really hang with the vibe there, I put up a post asking for advice at the start of the build and the one guy who replied was basically like "you should quadruple your budget". Which is uh....not terribly helpful. I actually learned a lot more on the acoustics forum at GS, there's a handful of people on there who give really good advice, just have to figure out who they are and tune out all the clowns.

Anyone can DIY a really kick ass room if you put enough time and effort into it. It's not going to be cheap, but it doesn't have to cost a fortune either.

mike_ender
studio intern

Post by mike_ender » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:33 am

It sounds very good and weird in there.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:14 am

don't tell the world it sounds weird in my beautiful new studio!

mike_ender
studio intern

Post by mike_ender » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:22 am

Let me elaborate!!!

It sounds weird because I had never heard music so removed from the reflections of the room it was played in, with such a distinct stereo image, as in this carefully treated mastering room. So it sounded CRAZY to me, but, like, in an incredibly precise and revealing way. Which is exactly what you want from a mastering facility but was also very disorienting to a first time visitor. (And also was not flattering to some records that I think sound good in “normal” acoustic spaces but which I could hear in a more critical investigative way without the normal “mush” of a regular room gluing everything together.)

So yeah. It was weird but weird in exactly the way you’d want if you’re getting super critical and careful about your music. As well as a vivid example of why you might listen to music in the kitchen but you don’t master records in the kitchen.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:30 am

basically what he's saying is metallica records post-1986 don't sound good. :D

mike_ender
studio intern

Post by mike_ender » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:35 am

Yeah BIG SURPRISE NEWS everyone: Metallica records pre-Justice are really great