mixer advice?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

mixer advice?

Post by ubertar » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:04 am

I'm planning to start doing live shows again, and the instrument I'll be using has lots of outputs, all instrument level but can get away with going into mic level inputs. I currently have seven signals going through a 7 pin cable into a breakout box. The box has switches to combine the signals to two outputs for stereo, or each signal can come out of its own output, to its own amp. It's all passive, with no EQ or compression or anything. I'd like to be able to adjust the volume and panning of each signal and go to two amps (or a PA). Right now I'm not happy with the sound unless I send each signal to its own amp, which is not practical for live. Two of the 7 signals are actually pairs. If I could have each of those go to its own channel that would be better, which brings the total to 9. I may add one or two more things, so probably I'm looking at a 12 channel mixer. I'll replace my 7 pin DIN with a 13, and I'll have to modify whatever mixer to add a 13 pin input... that should be no big deal... but I need something with 12 channels of instrument or mic level inputs. The 12 channel mixers I see out there are usually four or six channels of mic level and the rest are line level. Is there something out there that will do what I want?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: mixer advice?

Post by kslight » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:24 am

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ital-mixer

I see these used for live use for running in ears/etc.

I have one of these. Is functional for me

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... dm12-mixer

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:41 am

Ah, cool, thanks. The top one is way too fancy for me... I'll be playing in tiny venues to a handful of people, most likely. The second one is more my speed. I found an Ammoon version that has 12 mono channels, for under $100. I've got a couple other Ammoon things and haven't had any problems, so I think I'll probably go for that. I don't want to spend much on something I'm going to be making modifications to.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:45 am

what about the XR12?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ital-mixer

I've had one of these and then moved up to the XR16. Having the ability to control from a tablet or phone is really nice and the number of EQs, comps, and other effects in the software is insane. you would need 40 flight cases to carry those alone (if they were real)...

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:34 pm

Just wanted to say... I got the Ammoon one not long after that last post. I think it was about $90. I've been using it for a while, and it's doing the job well. My instrument has 11 outputs now. At first I was going through a 13 pin output to a breakout box with 13 pin in and 12 (one unused) 1/4" outputs, to the mixer via 11 1/4" to XLR cables. Too much. So today I installed a 13 pin input directly in the mixer. No more breakout box, no more 11 cables. Just instrument > cable > mixer > two amps. Nice and simple.