Headphones and comfort

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Headphones and comfort

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:19 am

So, here's the scenario...

I own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x headphones. I LOVE how they sound. I use them for everything from tracking, to mixing, to just casual listening. Unfortunately, I suffer from chronic TMJ inflammation (working on a solution, but nothing has taken just yet), and I find that the AT's are really tight fitting. This, combined with the the shape of the ear pads puts a good amount of pressure right where the joint is located, so having them on for any semi-lengthy period of time exacerbates the inflammation, which affects my hearing because it puts pressure behind my ear drums.

I know that the easy answer is to just not wear the things as much, but outside casual listening, that's not practical. Wondering if you guys have a recommendation for replacement pads I could put on that may alleviate some of the issue. Beyond that I'm considering picking up a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770s. My ex had a pair, so it's been years, but I remember them being exceptionally comfortable.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Re: Headphones and comfort

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:45 am

sounds like the clamping strength is the issue, which will probably be the issue on all Closed type headphones (i believe the DT-770 are as well). Try an open back headphone like the AKG K240 Sextett or newer K240. I use those for listening to casual music at work and for all my studio stuff, there's little clamping power so they just rest on your head real easy like. i love the sonic signature too.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:00 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:45 am
sounds like the clamping strength is the issue, which will probably be the issue on all Closed type headphones (i believe the DT-770 are as well). Try an open back headphone like the AKG K240 Sextett or newer K240. I use those for listening to casual music at work and for all my studio stuff, there's little clamping power so they just rest on your head real easy like. i love the sonic signature too.
It's definitely the clamping. It's kind of absurd how tight they are. The fact that the ear pads are oval shaped is part of the issue as well though. The front edge of the pad sits exactly where the joint is. The DT770s are circular and wider, so the outer edge sits just past the TMJ area, IIRC. I'd have to try a pair on to verify. I'm hoping I don't have to buy another pair, but I will if necessary. I was curious if there's some replacement pad design, maybe memory foam or the like, that could potentially be a more cost effective solution.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:36 am

there are velour pads that most dt-770 users love, and i think they make them now for all types of headphones. but from my readings online the audiophiles and headphone folks believe they actually change the seal and therefore change the way the headphone sounds. whether or not that is true i don't know, but something to think about or research online.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:42 am

here is a reddit discussion with people commenting on the velour pads on their m50x

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/com ... _ath_m50x/

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:49 am

I've got some Sony MDR-7506 that I've always felt had a pretty light/soft feel - especially after I replaced the original pads with the Beyerdynamic velour pads. But the Sony's have that dang issue with static electricity (anyone that has ever owned these probably knows what I'm talking about).
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:29 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:42 am
here is a reddit discussion with people commenting on the velour pads on their m50x

Super helpful, thank you.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:30 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:49 am
I've got some Sony MDR-7506 that I've always felt had a pretty light/soft feel - especially after I replaced the original pads with the Beyerdynamic velour pads. But the Sony's have that dang issue with static electricity (anyone that has ever owned these probably knows what I'm talking about).
I remember them being more forgiving. Unfortunately, I hate them. haha. To each his own of course. :wink:
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:30 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:30 am
I remember them being more forgiving. Unfortunately, I hate them. haha. To each his own of course. :wink:
and I sort of do as well due to that electro-shock thing! I don't use them too much unless I can sit perfectly still.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:43 pm

Depends on the size of your skull, too... I've got one of those oversize Scottish melons, and some of the headphones do fit a bit snug.

Changing ear cushions might help, but might also change the sound. You could try stretching the headband out a bit, though - that's where the pressure is coming from.

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:09 am

I find most open-back cans more comfortable for long listening sessions - an old pair of AKG K240 DF are my go-to endurance cans. I also have the ATH-M50, which I use on location recording sessions because of the isolation they provide...they are not as comfortable but the sessions tend to be shorter, so I live with the fit. I tried the Senny HD-650 and they are very comfortable with their velour-type cushions, but I found them very heavy. A lot of 'circumaural' cans also get hot when you have been wearing them a while. I like my Grado on-the-ear cans when I am just surfing on the laptop (like now!).
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:45 am

Sometimes there's no substitute for going to a place that has a selection and actually trying them on.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:54 am

jimjazzdad wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:09 am
I find most open-back cans more comfortable for long listening sessions - an old pair of AKG K240 DF are my go-to endurance cans. I also have the ATH-M50, which I use on location recording sessions because of the isolation they provide...they are not as comfortable but the sessions tend to be shorter, so I live with the fit. I tried the Senny HD-650 and they are very comfortable with their velour-type cushions, but I found them very heavy. A lot of 'circumaural' cans also get hot when you have been wearing them a while. I like my Grado on-the-ear cans when I am just surfing on the laptop (like now!).
yeah i love the AKG K240 (i have the vintage 70's Sextett LP version). i listen to them all day at work, and then when i do music at night they are on all night. So sometimes i'll have them on for 12 hours a day. They've never bothered me. There is very little clamping pressure. Just enough to stay on that's it.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:32 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:29 am
markjazzbassist wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:42 am

Super helpful, thank you.
I retract my statement. :wink: :P

I picked up a pair of the Shure replacement pads that are recommended in that reddit thread from amazon. They are worse. Exactly the same size, only much harder. Not sure what those dudes over there are thinking. Anyways, don't get those. haha.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:33 am

roscoenyc wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:45 am
Sometimes there's no substitute for going to a place that has a selection and actually trying them on.
I wish that existed where I live. Guitar Center is the closest I get, and the one here is like the bodega of Guitar Centers.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY