Izotope rx2 or other denoiser?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DrummerMan
george martin

Izotope rx2 or other denoiser?

Post by DrummerMan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:14 am

Hi all! This is a bit of a hail Mary, but I'm trying to denoise some tracks on a project. A while back I demoed Izotope RX2 because that's the appropriate version for my old-ass computer, os, and version of logic. I'm willing to buy it now but of course that's about 5 versions old and they dont sell it anymore. And to get the latest version would require thousands of dollars of updates, which I'd love to do but is not in the cards now.

Does anyone know if theres a good current denoiser that would still work on OS 10.5.8 and logic 9?

And I guess if anyone knew a way to get authorization for rx2 I would be open to suggestions as that would be the simplest.

Thanks!
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

mike_ender
studio intern

Re: Izotope rx2 or other denoiser?

Post by mike_ender » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:19 pm

If there's no alternative, their programs, I think, run fully-featured for 10 days in trial mode, so if it's just a one-time thing you could give it a shot. Also RX Elements, the cheaper version of their current thing, is only 29 bucks if you don't need anything craaaazay.

Alternately, it's been discontinued but you can apparently still get copies of Music and Speech Cleaner on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/iZotope-Music-Sp ... B002TXIB7U and a friend of mine has had great success with that.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:26 pm

on sale for $299 for the non-advanced version.

https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/au ... 7-standard
the new rules : there are no rules

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:00 pm

I guess I wasn't fully clear that my computer is too old to use rx7 which is why I'm not just buying (or demo-ing) that. Was hoping to find an alternative that will work on my system or if someone wanted to sell me their old rx2 license.
Geoff Mann

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:19 pm

the new rules : there are no rules

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:28 pm

joninc wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:19 pm
i see - how about this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-iZotope-RX ... :rk:3:pf:0
Not bad, but in Australia. Expected delivery in a month...
Geoff Mann

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:20 pm

joninc wrote:
i see - how about this:
I believe that’s just a DVD guide at that...

To OP, how extensive of surgery are you wanting to do?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Cool Edit Pro has awesome NR, and old versions are cheap on the Ebog.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:28 pm

kslight wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:20 pm
joninc wrote:
i see - how about this:

Not too heavy, mostly tape hiss and one guitar track with 60Hz from the amp. But I'm also going to try and take a little drums out of the main woodwind mic. I have the demo of rx2 in there now and feel like it's doing pretty much what I want but because I downloaded a while back it now drops out every 10 seconds until I authorize it.

I know other people who've got the ability to do this, but I really need to be the one tweeking it because itll be a fine balance of getting it sounding as good as I want it to without getting in the way of the vibe that's already there. Especially when it comes to the woodwind mic.

I did recently get a new macbook but dont have any DAW running on it yet, or an interface that works with it. I'm actually thinking of picking up a cheap interface at GC tonight, downloading a trial of reaper or something as well as the demo of rx7 and trying to accomplish what I need. I can always return the interface afterward if it's not the greatest thing in the world.
Geoff Mann

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:50 pm

I saw this the other day, perhaps it is helpful:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/produc ... ogue-track

Accusonus sells for $60 and came in first. I'm happy enough with waves z-noise which came in a close second. RX came in last, though it looks like they were using the dialogue specific part it. But you could try RX elements which is selling for only $30 right now, seems to have most of the noise reduction features of the standard. Seems like most of what it's missing is the new-fangled music re-balancing feature.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:45 am

DrummerMan wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:28 pm
kslight wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:20 pm
joninc wrote:
i see - how about this:

Not too heavy, mostly tape hiss and one guitar track with 60Hz from the amp. But I'm also going to try and take a little drums out of the main woodwind mic. I have the demo of rx2 in there now and feel like it's doing pretty much what I want but because I downloaded a while back it now drops out every 10 seconds until I authorize it.

I know other people who've got the ability to do this, but I really need to be the one tweeking it because itll be a fine balance of getting it sounding as good as I want it to without getting in the way of the vibe that's already there. Especially when it comes to the woodwind mic.

I did recently get a new macbook but dont have any DAW running on it yet, or an interface that works with it. I'm actually thinking of picking up a cheap interface at GC tonight, downloading a trial of reaper or something as well as the demo of rx7 and trying to accomplish what I need. I can always return the interface afterward if it's not the greatest thing in the world.
Gotcha, so you probably want a full spectral editor for this. I don’t think RX elements will quite do all of that, at least not the way i use it. I have RX6 standard for these purposes exactly.

I’m not totally sure you need to purchase a sound card for your MacBook unless you want to, I think the builtin core audio driver would work fine for this.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:10 am

kslight wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:45 am

I’m not totally sure you need to purchase a sound card for your MacBook unless you want to, I think the builtin core audio driver would work fine for this.
It's just that the macbook doesn't have a headphone jack and my bluetooth headphones don't even come close to having a sound I can trust.
Geoff Mann

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:26 am

I just found out that my new macbook does indeed have a headphone jack, it's just on the other side than I'm used to. D'oh! :oops:

I ended up ordering a zoom h6. I've been wanting one for recording shows but then I saw it will also work as a USBbus powered interface. Now trying to decide whether or not to return it. It seems like a good thing to have but I dont actually need it right now and moneys always tight.
Geoff Mann

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:58 am

DrummerMan wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:26 am
I just found out that my new macbook does indeed have a headphone jack, it's just on the other side than I'm used to. D'oh! :oops:

I ended up ordering a zoom h6. I've been wanting one for recording shows but then I saw it will also work as a USBbus powered interface. Now trying to decide whether or not to return it. It seems like a good thing to have but I dont actually need it right now and moneys always tight.
I was gonna say, didn’t realize that Apple cut the headphone jack on the computer (yet).

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:15 am

I believe Soundtrack Pro (old apple audio editor, which came in the FInalCut Studio 2 bundle) had a pretty decent (though not quite as good as RX5/6/7)... and it definitely works in older version of MacOs (pretty sure it would fly in 10.5.8...)

I'll look to see if I still have my NFR copy, from when I worked for Apple — if I do, you're welcome to it.