Power Amplifiers in 2019?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Power Amplifiers in 2019?

Post by The Scum » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:58 am

So what's the recommendation for a power amp for mid-size studio monitors these days? I've got a Crown D60 that I'm ready to replace - it's served valiantly for decades, but it's seen better days, and I'm done trying to nurse it along.

It seems like we're deeply into the age of the class-D amp - 1000W plus a fan that screams like a banshee. I don't need that - maybe 100 W into 6 Ohms (Yes, 6. Not a typo. They're consumer Tannoys that I really, really like), and more importantly, NO FAN!

Bryston and Hafler have both mostly disappeared, and reborn Bryston stuff is probably out of reach.

I kinda like the idea of a Pass-designed Adcom, but they're also long in the tooth...and missing balanced inputs and level knobs.

So, can anyone point me at something more modern, not painfully expensive, from a company that's on stable ground?
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Power Amplifiers in 2019?

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:13 am

what about the Art SLA-1 or SLA-2? I had one of the SLA-1's for a short time (but changed plans). seems like it was quiet.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:04 pm

I second the ART SLA 1 - great sound, great bang for buck, would have no issue with loads down to 4 ohms. I have three and have never had an issue with them,
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:44 pm

QSC is a very solid company - they have some small install-type amps without fans.
https://www.qsc.com/systems/products/po ... /spa4-100/

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:57 pm

if you want small there is the stewart pa line. i have the PA-100 and used to have a PA-200. they are half rack, no fan, unit is a heat sink, does 200 watts at 4 ohms bridged, or 80/100 watts per side stereo. Small and cheap, but you can only find them used. usually around 75-100 bucks.

if you're looking for tube you could try and find a Carvin T-100, TS-100 or one of the old Peavey 50/50 or similar. usually had for around 200 bucks or less you get a nice tube power amp if that's your flavor.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:00 pm

I have a newer Crown XLS something or other. The fan only cycles on once in a blue moon. I came on today for the first time in a while, and only ran a minute or so +/-. It sounds better than the Alesis that was supposed to be temporary.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:48 pm

Thanks for the pointers, everyone.

I've learned a few things:
  • Sweetwater's category of suitable amps is hidden in the studio monitors category.
  • I discovered Nelson Pass is selling a new little stereo Mosfet amp kit - not what I'm looking for in this instance, but tempting in general.
  • That ART could work - or its 4 channel sibling for an active crossover biamp approach.
  • Rolls also makes some possibly suitable amps - with the added bonus that they're convection cooled, made in the USA, and the schematics are included in the manual!
Tony, what's your XLS? There are a ton of models - a lot with digital junk onboard.
"What fer?"

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:22 pm

The Scum wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:48 pm
Thanks for the pointers, everyone.

I've learned a few things:
  • Sweetwater's category of suitable amps is hidden in the studio monitors category.
  • I discovered Nelson Pass is selling a new little stereo Mosfet amp kit - not what I'm looking for in this instance, but tempting in general.
  • That ART could work - or its 4 channel sibling for an active crossover biamp approach.
  • Rolls also makes some possibly suitable amps - with the added bonus that they're convection cooled, made in the USA, and the schematics are included in the manual!
Tony, what's your XLS? There are a ton of models - a lot with digital junk onboard.
Its an XLS 1002. It had the digital crossovers and all that, but its all bypassed. That stuff doesn't have to be used.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:46 pm

Big fan of the Hypex Ncore class D amps here. I built (and by built I mean assembled) a pair of their monoblocks to replace my old Rotel RB1080 (no slouch!). They're wonderful. Blazing fast, super clear, headroom for miles, can't say enough good things about them. Dead quiet, there's no fan.

https://www.hypex.nl/p/hypex-ncore-mp-amplifiers/

Not super cheap, but way cheaper than a Bryston!

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:56 pm

Oh yeah, Hypex. I did some design work adjacent to them a few years back. I like that they've now got options that integrate the amplifier & power supply. The (discontinued?) UcD32MP looks like it might be the right size for my deal, but I'm not sure if it's available.

Come to think of it, I've got a couple Sparkfun amp kits in the garage...I think I've got a couple of Lepai amps in the same box...

DIY doesn't address the immediate need, though. A Carver PM-200 landed in my lap - it works and is less of a sonic bottleneck than the Crown. It is missing volume controls on the amp, so I've got a couple of mic pads on the inputs...and possibly another DIY project.
"What fer?"

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:15 pm

I heard Carver amps can drive a short, so 6 Ohms should be child's play.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:39 am

Supposedly, this one will go into fault mode if the output is shorted, at least according to the manual. I'm not eager to try it.

Speaking of the heap of stuff in my garage - There a Phase Linear 400 that needs to go away. It was blowing fuses, and isn't worth the effort to troubleshoot.
"What fer?"

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:13 pm

You sure it's not worth it?

https://www.ebay.com/i/254108349792?chn=ps
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.