Kinda like a modern take on the Tascam 388 in a lot of ways. (Tascam Model 24)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

shedshrine
deaf.

Kinda like a modern take on the Tascam 388 in a lot of ways. (Tascam Model 24)

Post by shedshrine » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:07 pm

Got one of these arriving in a few days.. Tascam Model 24 And yeah, kinda like a modern take on the Tascam 388 in a lot of ways.
Last edited by shedshrine on Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Kinda like a modern take on the Tascam 388 in a lot of ways.

Post by drumsound » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:41 pm

That looks like a fun piece. Please update this thread after you've had a chance to do some work with it.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:49 am

Looks 8) !
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:03 am

A worthy successor to your 238, I hope?

Do give us an update! Especially curious if the onboard compressors and effects are usable.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:54 am

I was thinking it looked pretty cool too. I would be interested in how you are using it too - integration with a DAW? and what your workflow looks like. Personally, I'm comfortable with 100% mouse, but I know plenty of folks that don't like that, but also don't have space or dollars for the whole console setup. this could possibly be an acceptable compromise.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:42 am

I always thought it would be fun (in a perverse way) if they made a digital 388. Like basically as above, but 8 tracks, 15 ips all the way down to cassette portastudio emulation, varispeed playback and recording modes, and the same kind of track routing/ping ponging system.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:28 am

i used to work there and had a 388 at the time, i suggested they remake a 388 or reel to reel even cassette portas again and all everyone upper level told me was that it would cost so much to make them the cost to the consumer would be so massive, it's not worth it, they wouldn't sell enough for a profit.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:17 pm

Ha! I knew I wouldn’t be the only one who thought these might be pretty snazzy.
It’s not here yet, but some random thoughts while I wait..

I am not anti-daw, but I am all about keeping things as rudimentary and screen-less as possible, I am all about the portastudio-like layout, a knob per function turnkey setup for grab and go of ideas. That’s the best part. But instead of four cassette tracks, as on the most basic portas, we’re talking 22 tracks of 24 bit recordings through a nice mix board. The 388 is a different level portastudio, but obviously has its own limitations. And even here with the Model 24, from the gitgo I do wish it had just a little more onboard editing, a la minidisc, where you can cut out sections or change their order around for quick arrangements. That would get me 90% of where I want to go.

With emulation tech out there now like Axys and Fractal and Line 6 Helix applied to miced guitar amps, it would be cool to add that kind of fire power to a tape emulations of similar quality as an option on the Model 24. A dial with options like, I don't know, high speed cassette, ¼ inch half track 15 ips, 30 ips, 1/2”etc . (There are surely freaking amazing plug ins at this point that do that, I am woefully out of touch on that score I’m afraid..) I suppose one could just patch in a Strymon el Capistan in the meantime. ;)* Doh, just remembered I've got an empress vintage modded superdelay that does the tape sound justice big time.

* I intend to leverage my pedal collection, like stick the Strymon Blue Sky on a bus. I’ve got a couple effectrons I want to stick in there too. We’ll see how the built in effects hold up.

In the interest of keeping things self contained, with all the extra tracks and the high resolution to work with, running stuff out to bounce through effects and treatments even multiple times with minimal signal degradation will be really useful as opposed to the 388.

Drums…I don’t have an acoustic set to take advantage of all those Model 24 inputs yet, hoping to someday kit out the garage. Besides various drum machine boxes I have a Roland TD25 which doesn’t have individual outs, and short of using a daw means committing to a stereo kit setup from the td25 brain and running it through a compressor to glue it. Presently the only outboard stereo compressor I have is a first gen ART Pro Vla. Mono through my token high end piece Distressor gets some nice exploding drumkit sounds happening.

I’m going to be most likely using my Mesa Boogie studio pre for guitars and often vocals. It has two pairs of stereo outs, one with speaker emulation circa 1986. I just picked up a Mooer Radar cab sim pedal and it has a really nice twin cab ir.
Bass through a Hamptone jfet and the distressor.
Looking seriously at those new Line 6 HX Stomps for those duties above as well.

Keys: A boxload of various Yamaha and casio pcm portables to play with, a Korg M1, a Roland XP80, and we got an acoustic piano last year which will be great to try various micing with.
Last edited by shedshrine on Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:13 pm

Mics: Shure SM7, Groove Tubes GT66 condenser, Beyer dynamic 57/58 equivalent, two Tape Op ribbons (and I can pay).

Mic suggestions welcome.
typical duties for vocals, acoustic piano, acoustic guitar, percussion, amps when nobody's home. I may pick up a snare off craigslist for playing with fingers. All that random desk and steering wheel practice pays off.
Last edited by shedshrine on Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:20 pm

When I first saw the model 24 I definitely thought 388. I totally get why they wouldn’t do a 388 for real again. But a digital match for the workflow and with CPU power what it is today, I feel like some sort of emulation would not be asking too much.

I’ve still got my two 388s though, I’m dedicated.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:22 pm

Yeah, I've still got my two as well, one with perfect heads and pretty much fully functional, one not I picked up for $150 that is a head lap and a repair away from working.

shedshrine
deaf.

Re: Kinda like a modern take on the Tascam 388 in a lot of ways. (Tascam Model 24)

Post by shedshrine » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:42 pm

just awaiting for the centerpiece..

some of the toys:

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:28 am

shedshrine wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:22 pm
Yeah, I've still got my two as well, one with perfect heads and pretty much fully functional, one not I picked up for $150 that is a head lap and a repair away from working.
I sent one’s heads off for relap last year, the other had both motors rebuilt. Replaced a bad fader in my studio one, and new old side panels. Both freshly aligned to each other so they are as close as could be hoped for. So I’m ready to go, just need...uh time to work.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: Kinda like a modern take on the Tascam 388 in a lot of ways. (Tascam Model 24)

Post by kslight » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:29 am

shedshrine wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:42 pm
just awaiting for the centerpiece..

some of the toys:
You likes the loopers too I see?

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:52 pm

Yeah, loopers rule, they are most excellent kickstarters, jam partners and atmospheric soundscape enablers for experimental oblivion. I haven't gotten a chance to really mess with the trio+ yet but am looking forward to finding out what it can do. The Repeater has been a trusty partner in crime since 1999, the EH 95000 has been a great addition, but I do wish it could multiply the initial loop length. I have gotten quite used to being able to do that with the repeater. Maybe a future feature update?

Tascam Model 24 to arrive Thursday